Starter solenoid issue?

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

GeoffTE
RSSOC Member

Starter solenoid issue?

Post by GeoffTE » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:58 pm

Curious to know what/why this has happened in the first place and how it came to be fixed. Tried to start SAR (my 5 for those that have led a very sheltered life :lol: ) and most unusually she didn't fire up as quickly as normal, in fact she actually didn't fire at all though she tried. I found then that when I turned off the ignition she continued to turn over albeit very slowly. I have the original solenoid on the inner wing as well as the one on the starter motor itself. I also have an engine kill switch before the solenoid so that I could stop the engine turning over. However when I turned this on again the engine continued in its efforts to start. Tapping the solenoid, the one on the wing, with a hammer ( lightly :roll: ) returned everything to normal, but attempting to start it again with the key and the whole shenanigans started again. I reasoned that the solenoid was sticking closed and that tapping it freed it up, so thought I might try and take it apart. However I first checked the wiring and found that it's earth wire was not as tight as perhaps it should be. Tighten it up and everything fine again :? Why would that be the solution to the problem? After all there was enough of a connection to allow the solenoid to operate to begin with. I dunno, my shrinking brain cells are struggling to reason it out, but I'm sure some of you lads can help me out :mrgreen:
The battery did seem a bit low, but I'm not connecting that with this issue.

Geoff. (5324)
SE5 (SAR), Lotus Elise S2, ( now sold :-( ), 1965 Lotus Elan S2, Ford Kuga 2 AWD
The older I get the better I was!

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Starter solenoid issue?

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:42 pm

The issue is that with low battery voltage, the contacts in the solenoid are not held firmly together while the motor turns. That causes a resistance across the contacts. As we know from Ohm's law, that causes heat which welds the contacts together. End result is what you found. A sharp crack breaks the whiskers of weld so it returns. With a decent battery the contacts close firmly again once the whiskers burn away and everything appears back to normal.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

GeoffTE
RSSOC Member

Starter solenoid issue?

Post by GeoffTE » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks Andy, that sounds very logical. The battery WAS low as I said, but I had a long run to the noggin on Thursday albeit with lights on on the way back so should have been ok.

Geoff. (5324)
SE5 (SAR), Lotus Elise S2, ( now sold :-( ), 1965 Lotus Elan S2, Ford Kuga 2 AWD
The older I get the better I was!

Return to “General Technical Discussion”