Scimitar will not start

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

noel6071

Scimitar will not start

Post by noel6071 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:19 am

Hello all, i'm having major trouble trying to get my scimitar starting, i'm not mechanically minded unfortunately so can only check the basics but i'v had enough at this stage but before I just sell it on i'd like some help from the experts. First of all the car has been idle 5 years, I got it starting 6 months ago and was running fine until it back fired and just gave up. I have tried to get it going since but to no avail. The timing was checked manually through number 1 piston so obviously not fully accurate, I don't know how to turn engine by hand can't seem to get a socket on it, firing order as it should be, changed condenser, changed coil, good battery, good spark but gap for points not sure as I need to know how to turn engine by hand to get this spot on, accelerator cable is off the latch and choke also not operating right. A picture of the carb where the choke cable joins might be helpful.also the accelerator cable snapped at the end so would it need a new cable? The car turns fine but making absolutely no effort to start and plugs are dry so getting no fuel. Any help be appreciated before she goes. Thanks in advance and apologies for been clueless but not an expert like most on here !

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Scimitar will not start

Post by Stephenl » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:21 am

There will a lot more knowledgeable people along soon but....

if you've got no fuel, and the timing and spark is more or less right, then the problem is fuel.

Can you pour some fuel down the carb., a cap full, and try and see if you get anything? Or have you got some easy start spray you can spray on to the air filer?

Take the fuel pipe off the carb. put it into a container and turn the engine. Does fuel come out? If not then your pump is the problem. The original pump contains a diaphram, and i think they can break. This can possibly dump fuel into the inside of teh engine. if that has happened you might want to do an oil change to clear it out.

If it does pump then the carb. is at fault. Carbs don't like being left, they can gum up. You might need to crack it open and have a look at the needle and fuel reservoir. If the reservoir is full, look down the throat of the carb and pump the throttle. Fuel should squirt out.

I turn my engine by putting a 1/2 spanner on one of the four bolts that hold the fan on, on the front of the engine.

'69 SE5

noel6071

Scimitar will not start

Post by noel6071 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks for the reply Stephen, I will check the fuel pump and see what happens, the fuel inline filter does not fill up very little seems to be going through. I have put fresh fuel in carb but still did not attempt to start. I will also turn the engine by hand to make sure that gap is fine in the points. The car was left up a few years so perhaps it could be the carb.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Scimitar will not start

Post by peter freeman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:43 am

You do not say which Scimitar it is but it will either be fuel or spark - As Steven says a dose of fuel down the carb throat may produce results. After a few year the fuel will have "gone off" anyway.

noel6071

Scimitar will not start

Post by noel6071 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:03 am

Sorry Peter its the Scimitar SE5a, I have tried the fuel down the carb directly but still just turning making no effort to start. The spark is good but will turn the engine by hand to make sure the gap is fine, this car I got running a few months ago and was starting fine until I just managed to get it backed in the garage it was dying out backfired and wouldn't go since.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Scimitar will not start

Post by peter freeman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 am

Do you have the where with all to check the spark.

noel6071

Scimitar will not start

Post by noel6071 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:23 am

I have just checked for spark inside the distributor at the points contact, good blue spark I actually have not checked for spark on any of the individual spark plugs

paintman

Scimitar will not start

Post by paintman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Unplug the coil lead from the dizzy cap.
Holding it in something suitably insulated put the end a few mm above a good earthing point - such as the block.
Get someone to turn the engine over. You should see good sparks jumping from the lead to the block.
If you get a good spark take the dizzy cap off & repeat holding the end of the lead a few mm above the centre of the rotor arm. If a spark jumps the gap the rotor arm is faulty & the current is earthing through it.
If there are no issues with either test, reconnect the lead, refit the dizzy cap.
Pull a lead off a plug & again suitably insulated holding tool hold the lead a few mm from the block & crank again. If you have a spare plug then put that in the lead end & touch the metal threaded part of the plug against the block & crank. Should be a good spark.

noel6071

Scimitar will not start

Post by noel6071 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks for all your help so far, I have the engine turned by hand have the gap set there was no gap, I have the timing set manually with a screw driver through chamber 1 of the spark plugs, and firing order is correct, there is no spark going to the plugs, there is a good spark at the points contact but that is all no spark at the rotor or going to the plugs. Could the rotor be the problem or coil?

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Scimitar will not start

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:18 pm

Another thing to check - take the distributor cap off, give the engine a quick kick with the starter and check that the distributor centre shaft is rotating.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Scimitar will not start

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:20 pm

My last post crossed with yours - if you are now able to turn the engine by hand, I presume you can see the dizzy rotating?

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

noel6071

Scimitar will not start

Post by noel6071 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:44 pm

Yes Roger, the dizzy is rotating fine

noel6071

Scimitar will not start

Post by noel6071 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:11 pm

While checking for spark from the plug something has burned out, will not attempt to turn now just a slight click no power to one side of coil tried another coil just incase no power to one side fuses appear ok, any ideas?

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Scimitar will not start

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:52 pm

noel6071 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:44 pm
Yes Roger, the dizzy is rotating fine
That's a relief, the symptoms were starting to sound a bit like potential cam gear failure.
noel6071 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:11 pm
something has burned out
Is it possible to be a bit more specific?

....Roger

noel6071

Scimitar will not start

Post by noel6071 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:00 pm

I was testing for spark from the ht lead with the spark plug close to the engine while it was been cranked, something appears to have burned out as it won't turn now, ignition light is on but won't turn.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”