Error on page notice

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Terry Rickard

Terry H

Error on page notice

Post by Terry H » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:51 am

Hi All,
I'm getting a "Internet Explorer Script Error" notice when some mails come through from the Scimweb site. These are mainly when I recieve posts that Matt Greenly, Roger Pennington, Steve Cork, Joe Sully and Will Anderson have replied too. This problem is usually solved by clicking on the Yes button to allow it to be displayed. The main problem is with the posts that Will Anderson has replied too because this notice cannot be removed from the screen on his posts whether I press yes or no which means the page is not useable unless I shut my computer down then restart and go into outlook express and delete my Scimweb feed completely. This is most annoying. Can anyone give any advice.
Regards Terry H

Corky
RSSOC Member

Re: Error on page notice

Post by Corky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:27 am

I wonder if it's anything to do with Avatars or signature photos that are pulled from another web location. ie. not hosted on this website ?

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:32 am

I suspect the Outlook Express newsreader can't cope with the newsfeed correctly as its a later generation feed (and an older generation reader). If its a script error, try changing your feed from the default of HTML to either SafeHTML or Basic (under FORMAT AND ACCESS CONTROL). It could well be something in their signature thats causing the error - probably the images?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:34 am

scimitarcars.org.uk wrote:I wonder if it's anything to do with Avatars or signature photos that are pulled from another web location. ie. not hosted on this website ?
Highly likely, Steve - as they do have pics in their signature so part of the newsfeed won't be coming from here (but somewhere like photobucket etc)..which will have comflicting info the older Outlook Express newsreader may complain about - not helped by the Newsfeeder on here being the latest RSS2.0 (or Atom) one. Don't aks me all the differences though!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Terry H

Post by Terry H » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:06 am

Steve, Phil,
I think it is to do with the Avatars but the posts that Will Anderson, (I think his surname is Anderson), replies too does'nt apear to have any and causes the biggest problem as this notice pops up and when I click yes it goes and then pops up again every time I click whatever button so I cant delete his post or read any post after his post. Your post, Steve, is OK this time. I've added a photo of what I'm getting. This is a post from Roger Pennington and the error message can be removed by clicking yes or no and I can then veiw the post OK. If Will's post was there I wouldn't be able to get rid of the error message.
Regards Terry H
Attachments
Picture 172.jpg

Terry H

Post by Terry H » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:19 am

Phil,
Where do I find this Format and Access Control thing. I've looked in "Tools" on outlook Express and cant find it.
Regards Terry H

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:35 am

It's when you create the RSS link URL, Terry - on the Smartfeed page on this forum; just above the bit at the bottom of the page where you ask it to generate the URL for OE:

Going to either SafeHTML or even Basic should stop any script errors.
Attachments
smartfeed.JPG

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Terry H

Post by Terry H » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks Phil,
I'll see if I can do that now though I'm not very I T experienced.
Regards Terry H

Terry H

Post by Terry H » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:22 pm

Set to Basic now. Just have to wait for one of the Avatar posts to arrive.
Regards Terry H

Terry H

Post by Terry H » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Well, that didn't work then.
Just had posts from Steve and Roger and both have this Error message :evil: .
Regards Terry H

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:22 pm

Sorry, Terry - but i'm at the limit of my knowledge on RSS feed now :(

Some others use the RSS feed (Roger Pennington being one, IIRC) - maybe one of them may able to assist? It may be a case of changing your newsreader as I know Outlook Express is pretty basic in what it can handle. I did note that the "Compact" setting removes Signature information, but no mention of Avatars (which we think may be the issue?)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Terry H

Post by Terry H » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi Phil,
It would appear that some photo's are a problem as well. When Steve replys to a post without a photo it's OK but if there's a photo in the post I get the message.
Regards Terry H

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Oooh, fame! (or infamy - Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy! :lol: :roll: )

More seriously, yes, you're right Phil, I do use RSS, and it copes fine with "enhanced" signatures. But, I use the inbuilt RSS reader in IE8 (it was in IE7 as well). I don't use Outlook Express at all, I use Outlook for my e-mails. Some years ago, when I first joined Scimitarweb (Hmmm just checked, acording to the avatar that was Aug 2006), I did try RSS with Outlook, using one of the "freeware" downloadable RSS reader add-ons, but it was so flaky and unreliable that I quickly abandoned it. While I'm using IE8 as my RSS reader, I'm sure the same facilities will be available in the other competitive products, if you're one of the people who objects to using IE.

So I don't really know what to suggest - certainly I'd agree that it does sound as though it may be OE that's the problem. It's certainly not something that anyone else seems to have raised.

Ah, when I pressed submit, I just spotted Terry's last note, and that does make me wonder if it's something to do with images hosted offsite, that Terry's newsreader can't handle, as the image in my signature is hosted on Photobucket, just like the images in some of the posts.

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:37 pm

My first suggestion, Terry, would be to try a newer reader than Outlook Express - maybe Internet Explorer 8 as Roger uses (if your Operating System supports it), or maybe another standalone one (a quick google search showed several free ones out there). When the newsreader concept was launched, it was text-only and the one built in to OE has been upgraded to cope with some extra features, but seems to have an issue with content not from the scimitarweb.com area, like Rogers avatar picture. Depending on how it feels or the website the image comes from, it may or may not continue - hence the differing behaviour after your script errors.

I do recall newsgroups suffering when any sort of code/images were attached (I used to use them before the days of forums) - if permitted at all. I'm not sure if the "Compact" setting would cure your problem, but may not allow any images through at all - including images within a post.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Actually Phil, you've just reminded me of a facet I didn't cover in my previous note - images which *are* hosted on Scimitarweb (i.e. posted direct in a message, rather than from e.g. Photobucket) are not displayed at all in the IE8 RSS reader. But it doesn't give any sort of error message, just carries on regardless.

...Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”