Spark Plugs in a Cologne 2.9l

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Andrewsait
RSSOC Member

Post by Andrewsait » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Having now had the car for a year I thought I would give it a bit of a service including changing the spark plugs.

Access to 5 of them is fine but the Number 1 plug is obscured behind the alternator mounting bracket and I cannot see how to get at it. I cannot even get the HT lead off it.

The only way I can see of getting a socket onto it is to remove the whole alternator and its mounting bracket, or is there an easier way?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:09 pm

I think ( from memory ) if you just take the fan belt off then you can get the alt far enough back to access the plug. Are you aware there re two types of plug head - one has the "normal" square base with a washer the other type has a tapered base. If you fit the same kind of plug as you have taken out then you should be ok unless someone has fitted the wrong plugs before you got the car - my MB has tapered plugs. There is I believe a chance that the plug type is identified by a letter stamped on the exhaust manifold but if SS manifolds have been fitted then you are no better off - mine has SS manifolds.

Will Anderson
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Anderson » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Andrew, if you find a way, other than taking the alternator/bracket do let me know. I have tried several options but always had to resort to that. If you have not already bought the plugs the NGK Iridium BCPR7EIX get good reviews from owners and they have been doing sterling service in MB14 for a couple of years.

Will Anderson - RSSOC 4230 & Middlebridge Registrar
SE5a 1972, P.O. SE5a 1973 GOL 535L;
Middlebridge 14 & 42, P.O. Middlebridge 46 & 67

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 am

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Andrewsait
RSSOC Member

Post by Andrewsait » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:22 pm

Thanks everyone for their replies.

I have tried moving the alternator but really it is the bracket that is the problem. Seems unusual as Ford are normally quite good at keeping servicing fairly straightforward and simple, or else is this bracket a specific Middlebridge item?

The engine has NGK BCPR7E sparkplugs fitted which have a flat base with a washer. However, having looked in the Haynes workshop manual for the Granada/Scorpio 2.9 l it specifies Champion RS9YCC, and these have a tapered seat. It looks as though I will have to whip a plug out and have a close look at the seating in the head.

I normally fit NGK, so depending on what I finally determine on the seat, flat or tapered, I will buy the Iridium version as I have fitted these in other cars and had good results. I normally get plugs from Sparkplugs.co.uk who are slightly cheaper than Burton, although the p&p costs would slightly negate the saving, especially as Burton are just down the road from me.

The car has its original exhaust manifolds, so perhaps there is something on there that will indicate which is correct.

I will let you know what my conclusions are.

Kind regards,

Andy

Andrewsait
RSSOC Member

Post by Andrewsait » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 am

Just to finish off this thread I contacted Burton Power who advised the spark plugs for this engine should have a flat seat, so I ordered six of the NGK Iridium BCPR7EIX. I decided there was no option but to remove the alternator and its bracket to get to No1 plug, so off it came. The spark plugs are now fitted, together with a new set of Burton's HT leads.

While the plugs were out I thought it would be a good idea to take the opportunity to check the valve clearances, so I also bought the rocker cover gaskets from Burton. A bit of a faff moving wires, pipes, etc. out of the way to get the covers off but otherwise a fairly straightforward job. Three needed a very small tweak to close them slightly, but the other nine were spot on.

So now it's on to the springs and dampers.

Thanks to everyone for their help,

Andy

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 am

Tapered and flat seats previously discussed here.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Andrewsait
RSSOC Member

Post by Andrewsait » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:37 pm

An interesting discussion, the cylinder head on my car has an "F" cast into it so clearly the flat seat spark plugs are correct for this engine.

Andy

Return to “Middlebridge”