wiring loom

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by peter freeman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:18 pm

My best guess at the moment is that the new starter dogs ( two high torque motors tried ) do not line up with the ring teeth - fitting he original motor - if it works will I think clear out all the other possibilities. There is a solenoid in the circuit - fitted to the motors not a remote one.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by peter freeman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Fitted a original starter today - just the same. I have now put the first high torque motor back on and it just spins away - powered by a remote battery with new lead - solenoid powered by the same remote battery. So the motor is not making contact with the ring teeth - the teeth look ok when viewed - no damage. Tomorrow I will try the new high torque motor back on just to be 100% sure its not the motor. plugs removed and engine turns ok by hand. Sick as a chip as they say locally. I don't have any room in my garage so the next step would be to take it to our nearest garage - it should bump start - gearbox out to see what is going on with the flywheel ring - not going to be cheap but I do have a spare engine I can take the flywheel off if all is duff.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by DARK STAR » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:19 pm

I can only sympathise Peter, I also seem to always have problems that no-one can understand (not even my psychologist)

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by peter freeman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:09 pm

OK today's effort. Fitted the motor to my spare engine and it works but it is very tight and the teeth do stick together for a while when the motor stops ( sometimes ) so rather than taking the engine out and changing the flywheel ( take the one off my spare engine - later type engine ) I think I will clean the ring teeth up with a file first - after all it is 51 years old and the motor banging away at it for that long is bound to have "flattened" the ring teeth somewhat and I have nothing to lose by trying that first. Maybe filing a bit of play in the motor body will allow me to move the teeth away from the ring by 1/2mm but that is a 2nd option. Changing the flywheel is the last option and a job for May or June as I a) cannot start the car to get it where I want it and b) have to work outside anyway.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by peter freeman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Tried taking a bit off the outside of the starter motor to get it a bit more play when fitting - engine turned but very noisy - now given up and ordered a new ring gear - engine coming out May or June depending on the weather - as it will have to be done outside in the street.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by peter freeman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:17 pm

I cannot remember - will the engine come out of the Coupe without removing the manifolds ?

philhoward
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by philhoward » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Cast or tubular manifolds?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by peter freeman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:28 pm

cast currently fitted but I do have a pair of tubes hanging in the garage - off a 5 so they will probably need modifying

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by Coupe Racing » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:59 pm

The drop between the coupe and SE5 are different I believe as the exhaust runs through the chassis on a coupe .
However I have never tried

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by peter freeman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:47 pm

They can be cut and shortened or lengthened - not a big problem and I got them for nothing so spending a bit is not costly. Ordered a new flywheel starter ring ready for the good weather - could be a while. First I have to make a bit of space in the garage for the hoist and engine.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by Old and Slow » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Just wondering - IF the starter pinion gear diameter is "oversize" and interferes with the starter ring, are you sure that a new starter ring will improve matters?
Do you have a "good" and a "bad" starter to compare pinion diameters?

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

scimjim
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by scimjim » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:37 pm

peter freeman wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:42 pm
New cable down to the starter and a cable directly from the battery -ve to the engine.
just gone back through and noticed this - is the earth cable new and/or have you bypassed it with a jump lead? I had an intermittent starting problem on a Fiat strada which turned out to be the Engine earth cable corroded and separated inside its plastic insulation.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by peter freeman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:08 pm

The battery is connected directly to the engine with a independent lead as is the chassis. I have tried a separate battery connected to the engine and directly to the motor - I have also tried the starter on a spare engine that I have and it works fine - it all points to the flywheel ring even though it looks ok through the starter hole and at the bottom with the plate removed. I have also tried three starter motors - the original Lucas type and two high torque motors one of which has been on the car for a number of years and worked ok and the other is the same type but brand new

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by peter freeman » Tue May 14, 2019 2:58 pm

GB out yesterday ( had to remove it to get the engine out ) and engine today - not tried a motor on it yet but it looks like the flywheel ring has lost its chamfer ( worn away ) and the front end of the teeth have flattened out somewhat - tomorrow morning hope to try a motor on the engine to confirm this and after the ring has been replaced the engine can go back in - hopefully Jim will find a GB front bearing cover to replace the one with its tube broke off.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

wiring loom

Post by peter freeman » Wed May 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Put the motor back on the engine today to see what is happening. The solenoid does pull the dog into the ring gear but it does not go fully in due to the damage of the ring teeth and it sticks when it is in so the solenoid does not pull it out of the ring and its not far enough in to make the motor contacts. A new ring will be fitted and tried before the engine is put back into the car - hopefully the new flywheel ring will allow the dog to go fully in and come back out again.

Return to “Coupé”