Sound Deadening

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

peterbradbury
RSSOC Member

Sound Deadening

Post by peterbradbury » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi All,

I currently have the dash out of the coupe to try and tidy up the wiring and sort some of the non working electrics on the car. The current sound deadening is not in the best state, some of it having been converted into a mouse nest at one point, I'm looking for a recommendations for a modern replacement?

Thanks

Peter

60 Austin Seven, 67 Mini Moke, 80 Mini Pick Up, 96 Mini Equinox, 68 Coupe, 87 SS1 1800Ti

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Sound Deadening

Post by David Tew » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:58 pm

Ideally you need to use two types of sound deadening. Mass-damping, which is a bitumastic-backed foil, and ordinary sound-proofing, which can be felt or a more modern material. The mass-damping stops the panels resonating and the sound-proofing absorbs sound inside the car. At the same time I'd recommend you go around the interior with a tube of silicone as there are loads of small gaps which let noise into the car e.g. windscreen surround to dash-top.

You can hear the difference the mass-damping makes by tapping the panel. After it's fitted the panel sounds "dead".

I did my Coupe last year and you can see the before and afters below. :)
Original sound-proofing.jpg
Original sound-proofing.jpg (233.09 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Mass damping.jpg
Mass damping.jpg (217.24 KiB) Viewed 96 times
New sound-proofing.jpg
New sound-proofing.jpg (208.42 KiB) Viewed 96 times

- My wife says I don't listen to her ...... or something like that! -
SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
Bought in 1978 and an RSSOC member since. 😲

Return to “Coupé”