Emissions test and catalytic converter

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Supersub
RSSOC Member

Post by Supersub » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi guys

Catalytic Converter now fitted resulting in zero CO emissions and an MOT pass with no advisories. Garage said that they couldn’t remember the last time they had passed one with a zero reading. Don’t know why but car does now appear to tick over better and pull smoother so assume that running the car without one was part of the problem to begin with.

Haven’t received the final bill yet but having got a good price from QRG for the Cat and gaskets (thanks Nigel) I expect it to be around £300 including test fee which takes my total spend on this car not including the delivery costs to nearly £1400. And that is just to get everything working correctly and in a safe and roadworthy condition. And that’s before I have rectified the one problem I knew about when I bought it. The dropped drivers door. Was expecting to use some of that money to have sorted that out as well as the minor paintwork imperfections one would expect to find on the car after 23 years of road use.

To say I am disillutioned by this purchase is an understatement considering all the claims the previous owner made. The next time I look to buy a car and the owner says, and this is no slur on those of you rightly claim to be one, that “the car has been well maintained - I’m an Engineer” I will turn tale and run a mile. Coupled with a disaster on a previous purchase I can honestly say I have definitely learned my lesson and will never buy another without seeing it and thoroughly road testing it.

So where does that leave me. Well the car is now performing well mechanically and should hopefully give many miles of trouble free motoring in the future although it being a Reliant I can’t guarantee that. However whether that is me is doubtful. Having bought the car under the illusion that my ongoing medical physical constraints which eventually led me into selling my previous SST and Sabres would not hamper me from owning this car they are once again becoming a problem and affecting my enjoyment driving it. Because of this I am considering selling it on. Not finally decided yet but over the next 2-3 weeks will make a decision one way or the other. If I do sell will go back to my initial intention and look round for a good GTE with power steering and auto. Would love a manual SE5 or 5A but need to be practical this time so probably a late 6.

Finally, I know it is Curbs this weekend which unfortunately due to the distance from where I now live makes it too big a stretch for me to do comfortably for a day out I hope the bad weather holds off and you all have a good time.

Regards

Mike

P.S. - If anyone out there wants a 2ft length of rusty scaffold pipe with flanges welded on each end I now have one sitting in my garage. Amazing what a so called “Engineer” feels is the correct part to fit!!!

Mike Storey
1996 1.4 K Series Sabre
1996 Nissan QX 3.0ltr SEL
1995 Quantum 1.9ltr 2+2
2004 Mondeo MKIII 130TDCi Estate
Previous: -1990 SST 1800Ti, 1993 Sabre 1400, 1992 Sabre 1400 (based on 1991 SST), 1972 se5a gte, 1968 SE4b Coupe

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:07 pm

i have read this mail late I had a problem with a MOT man ( not the one I use now ) who said our 93 Sabre should have a cat fitted - I contacted the DVLA and got the reply - below. Showed it to the MOT man who said it did not matter as he had passed the car as a kit car - that's when I changed MOT tester.

From: Leanne.Phillips@vosa.gov.uk on behalf of Enquiries@via.gov.uk
Sent: 05 April 2005 11:06
To: p.l.freeman@dsl.pipex.com
Subject: Re: Catalytic Converters

Hi Peter

Thank you for your e-mail

The MOT Inspection Manual Car & Light Commercial Vehicle Testing

The above publication lays out all of the standards that must be followed when an MOT garage is carrying out an MOT Test

For fuel and emissions testing there are several flow charts depicted for the tester to follow to be able to determine which type of emission test the vehicle should undergo.

For petrol vehicles first used between 1st August 1986 and 31st July 1992 the non-catalyst emission test will be automatically carried out.

For petrol vehicles first used between 1st August 1992 and 31st July 1995 it would depend on the information supplied by the manufacturer of the vehicle as to whether the vehicle undergoes a Catalyst or Non- Catalyst Emissions Test. The manufacturers of vehicles supply VOSA on an annual basis of the makes / models of specific vehicles and the specific limits they want those vehicles to be tested to. At the time of MOT of vehicles in the above mentioned age group the tester would check the Gas Annalyser database & Exhaust Emmissions handbook to see if there is an exact match (laid down byt the manufacturer for that particular make and model) and if there is an exact match the vehicle would be tested to those specific limits through a CAT test. if there is no exact match in the material then the vehicle would undergoe a NON -CAT test.

Regards
Leanne

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:18 pm

AFAIK only K series Sabres had cats as standard, plus a few Ti cars that went to certain countries (USA or Switzerland for example).

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Did Reliant tell anyone that he K series cars had cats ? if you have one old enough perhaps you can get away without having one.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:55 pm

It’s in the type approval documentation.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Supersub
RSSOC Member

Post by Supersub » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Interested in your comments re your MOT and the tester. Had the Quantum MOT'd a couple of weeks ago and they told Oxby's that the emissions were a bit high. However it passed (without advisaries) as although it was factory built in 95 with a new 1.9 engine the emission result was ignored not only because it is a kit car but the fact that it has an F reg no. based as it is on a 1989 XR2 so this element of the test is ignored.

Mike Storey
1996 1.4 K Series Sabre
1996 Nissan QX 3.0ltr SEL
1995 Quantum 1.9ltr 2+2
2004 Mondeo MKIII 130TDCi Estate
Previous: -1990 SST 1800Ti, 1993 Sabre 1400, 1992 Sabre 1400 (based on 1991 SST), 1972 se5a gte, 1968 SE4b Coupe

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”