Suspension overhaul

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

worthyclassic2

Suspension overhaul

Post by worthyclassic2 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 am

Sabre 1.8ti 1993. Hi, I've read most of the threads on this subject thanks to all involved. My last mot suggests that due to corrosion, I need to replace the front and rear springs and replace or refurbish the lower front wishbones. I understand that these parts can be sourced, but should I be aware of any difficulties on removing these and can anyone advise on the tools required? Cheers

Alan SS1

Suspension overhaul

Post by Alan SS1 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:06 pm

rear springs are a doddle, remove rear wheel, remove plastic inpsection cover from wheel arch, remove bolts top & bottom
rear arms less easy, but yours are OK?

Front springs, I don't like doing . .. . . as can't properly get 'normal' spring compressors in place, see Darryls thread where there was use of a VERY large bar.

the Chevette spring compressors hooked on top of coil and a spreader bar under the wishbone is OK , but where do you source those :? so made one up. :wink:
spring~2.jpg
spring~2.jpg (42.66 KiB) Viewed 851 times
lower front arms easy swap once spring off, assuming the bottom bolts come out, I chopped some previously

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 ( .. . EVU & . . . . CDC)
Regal 330 (VAV ---) now passed to another 'keen owner'

old bean

Suspension overhaul

Post by old bean » Sat May 25, 2019 11:00 pm

Rear shocks and springs easy as described above but use motorbike coil spring compressors to remove springs safely.

Font springs easy and safe too without spring compressors,(motorbike spring compressors can be used, but really no need).
Support lower wishbone with a jack to take the strain and when ball joint and track rod are released the jack can be lowered to allow spring to decompress.

Just to be safe insert a large piece of wood next to the spring just in case it slips off lower wishbone. Push lower wishbone down further with a piece of wood and you'll see spring completely decompressed and get an idea of when its safe to remove it by hand.

Easy way to split the ball joints is a jaw type balljoint breaker, or a cut down scaffold pole to apply leverage and a large hammer to smack the wishbone casting surrounding the balljoint stub.

If you're not sure, use spring compressors and / or a crash helmet!

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Suspension overhaul

Post by reliant-reviver » Sun May 26, 2019 7:08 am

Front spring replacement guide here
https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/scimiwiki ... ng_Fitting

Uprated front springs available from myself. Details here

https://scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtop ... 75#p451492

New front wishbones here in chevette form. Lowers a straight fit, fronts would obviously need adaption. But at £175 for a set of 4 you can't go much wrong!

https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/products.php?cat=2479

Otherwise QRG do ready to fit uppers, and the lowers supplied with balljoint and bolts for £175 a side.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

worthyclassic2

Suspension overhaul

Post by worthyclassic2 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:22 am

I'm a returning forum user after a few years out, so a bit rusty on how best to reply. Thank you Alan ss1 for your diagrams and insight. I believe the rear arms my need cleaning up but are sound. The idea of using a motorbike Spring compressor is a possibility Old Bean, as a neighbour may have these, otherwise I'll use the Jack and wood method. I'll have a look at those links reliant-reviver has given and report back. Anyone know the aperture of the ball joint puller I require as I'm having to take the info and the tools and parts with me to France where the vehicle is at the moment so it's difficult inspect until I'm there. Thanks again to all.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Suspension overhaul

Post by peter freeman » Sun May 26, 2019 9:32 am

I found that a trolley jack under the lower wishbone was all I needed to compress the spring until I got the lower ball joint off then with the jack lowered the spring came out no problem - fitting a new spring was done by reversing the procedure

old bean

Suspension overhaul

Post by old bean » Mon May 27, 2019 11:55 pm

Motorbike spring compressors are only suitable for the rear springs, was tired the other night when I replied and I should advise that they are likely to be too small to fit the front sprngs. I removed and refit the front springs via my method mentioned previously, no skid lid used though, just a long length of 4 x 5 timber as a safety guard, spring then released by hand..

Standard small Ball joint compressor will fit, mines less than 1" between the fork prongs.

worthyclassic2

Suspension overhaul

Post by worthyclassic2 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Thanks for the update. I appreciate the advice as it seems to be an area that has caused concern for many. I'm looking into parts now which seem to be readily available. Cheers

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”