Front Wheel Bearings - The quest to find an alternative

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Jester007
RSSOC Member

Post by Jester007 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:30 pm

Good afternoon all,

I've read to the nth degree that the SS1 front wheel bearings are bespoke "one offs", however I wanted to set myself the task of "trying" to find a direct replacement alternative should the time ever come where my fronts pack up and die.

I know many may think this is an exercise in futility but hey ho, nothing ventured etc....

So.... because I don't want to disassemble my perfectly fine bearings to reference, does anyone have any knacked ones laying around I may obtain to start the search? I know a few people round here through work (engineering firms we do IT for) where I can start and plan to go wider directly to bearing manufacturers and make a nusience of myself..... it would be good to have something to hand them for reference.

I can't promise a miracle but I can certainly try!

Thanks,

Phil

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Tue May 07, 2019 2:08 pm

Good luck with that - tried myself for a while - one bearing dealer told me it would not be a problem - after two weeks he gave up. I thought two "normal " bearings in place of the one fixed back to back would be the best solution but no luck with that idea either. Its the outer dims which apparently are the problem

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue May 07, 2019 2:22 pm

The bearings are indeed AFAIK "bespoke one-offs" - however that slightly misrepresents the situation. They weren't turned by a man in a shed with a lathe, they were made by NTN, a major international bearing manufacturer, and will have been marked with a part number, like all other bearings, and with a bit of research the full tech spec should be findable from that. I don't know, but I guess the part number may well be in one of those posts you've been reading? Anyway, I'm sure many people, (including me) will have a note of it somewhere, just waiting to be found (or even an old bearing it can be read off).

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue May 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Having seen a drawing from NTN of the bearing many years ago (someone at college was an apprentice at NTN) it did say Reliant on it and whilst I believe the numbering might indicate what it is, it was a commission so only made for them. A bit like anything with a generic numbering scheme - you might be able to decide what it is, but that doesn’t mean the part actually exists.

A bit like drive (fan) belts - you can say you want a 4 rib belt 925mm long which would be a 4PK0925 but that doesn’t mean you can buy one..

I believe the current batch remanufactured by the traders actually has the Reliant part number on them..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Jester007
RSSOC Member

Post by Jester007 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Thanks both.

To try and keep all the info in one place, if anyone could post the part number here that would be good. I'll have a look myself later when home and post up if found.

The thought behind getting a knacked bearing to carry round with me is certainly one of the bearing/seal suppliers round here asks it be left with him whilst he looks.

Touch wood, he hasn't failed me yet and I threw him a very obscure master cylinder repair seal request for a 1955 Fairthorpe Electron minor we're currently restoring.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue May 07, 2019 3:50 pm

In fact this was discussed recently in this thread, and there's the NTN part number (for the record 4T-CR1-0676) A search on that part no will reveal more threads.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Jester007
RSSOC Member

Post by Jester007 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:58 pm

Thanks Roger, interesting that a quick Google revealed a Mitsubishi Proton as carrying those bearings, but as Phil rightly says above, part numbers can lead you on a merry dance.

(I know Proton made a few cars based off of Mitsubishi running gear)

Only a quick 2 second glance and probably a red herring but I'll dig a bit deeper later.

I used to own a Proton Persona.... I have no words for the build quality :lol:

Jester007
RSSOC Member

Post by Jester007 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:21 pm

https://www.noc.ua/online-catalog-beari ... T-CR1-0676

Unsure if these dimensions match the Reliant Bearings?

Jester007
RSSOC Member

Post by Jester007 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm

Furthermore 4T-CR1-0676 was replaced by 4T-CR-0676PX2 according to this source: http://www.a-d.com.vn/NTN/ntn_bearing_for_car.htm

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy_man » Tue May 07, 2019 4:42 pm

as before its probably easier to machine the hub to take a standard bearing

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue May 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Jester007 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm
4T-CR-0676PX2
That one seems to come up with a totally different size.. (50.3x28x10.7)?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Jester007 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:30 pm
I wanted to set myself the task of "trying" to find a direct replacement alternative should the time ever come where my fronts pack up and die.
Just to confirm, we already have stocks of the correct bearing (which seem to last 30+ years without problems), so you’re just looking to find a cheaper source?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue May 07, 2019 4:53 pm

The bits we (as owners) have trouble finding are the bits Reliant DID actually pinch from other vehicles :D

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:59 pm

scimjim wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 pm
Jester007 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:30 pm
I wanted to set myself the task of "trying" to find a direct replacement alternative should the time ever come where my fronts pack up and die.
Just to confirm, we already have stocks of the correct bearing (which seem to last 30+ years without problems), so you’re just looking to find a cheaper source?
I tend to agree with Jim, if the traders have a number in stock (unknown number) then we just bite the bullet and pay up? or machine the hub (at what cost?)
if on the other hand the sum total of NEW bearings is into SINGLE figures then I'm fully in agreement to try and source an alternative,

PS it's not often I'd suggest paying more than you need to!!!!

maybe a thread merge required ??? :wink:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 ( .. . EVU & . . . . CDC)
Regal 330 (VAV ---) now passed to another 'keen owner'

Jester007
RSSOC Member

Post by Jester007 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:02 pm

Finding cheaper parts was one of the objectives yes; as I understood it they are around £80 per bearing? If so that's unnecessary expense IF the are bearings still being manufactured under another guise (totally understandable cost for small production runs or rare NOS) - plus to satisfy my curiosity as to whether this bearing was still in production or not and to provide an alternative if the official reliant ones run out.

Just an exercise in finding useful information. As Scimmy_man states above, it may be just as easy to machine the hub out for a readily available bearing. Or quite simply just swallow the cost of available stock.

If I'm treading on toes here I'll stop....
Last edited by Jester007 on Tue May 07, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”