SS1 to MG Metro Turbo Brakes....just a quick checklist

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Jester007
RSSOC Member

Post by Jester007 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Good afternoon all,

So my standard Metro calipers are looking a bit ropey; on my last run out deciding to pull me quite forcefully to the kerb under heavy braking. Closer inspection of the caliper revealed the seals were perished and seal retaining rings looked like a hamster had been chewing on them :shock:

I figured I'd check the pistons whilst they were apart so with a bit of wood in the caliper body I pumped them out. They decided to bring the seals and retaining rings out with them! - Its a shame as the rest of the caliper is in very good nick and the discs have virtually zero wear and run true.

As I'm looking to start the MX5 conversion later this year I figure now is the time to swap to the Metro Turbo disc/caliper setup as I'll be throwing money at the brakes regardless. I know this topic has been discussed a lot on here (I've read what I could find) but I was wondering if I could just run a quick "parts list" and sense check past you:

1. Metro Turbo calipers - as I can make out, these are the standard AP caliper with a spacer between the bodies? (I may have found a semi decent pair of calipers I can steal the spacers from), I also assume I'll need longer caliper mounting bolts?
2. The vented discs - I've seen a set with QRG for £125ish, are these machined down on the hub mating face as the standard Metro turbo disc looks a bit different?
3. Longer wheel hub studs - any idea where I can get these from?
4. Am I missing anything else glaringly obvious?

Help/advice would be gratefully received - thanks :D

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Contact Mark Wilson as he did a vented disc kit for me and can supply all the parts you need - cheaper than the other suppliers

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:25 pm

1 caliper mounting bolts are unchanged.
2. Metro turbo won’t fit - QRG/GW/Mark wilson.
3. You need longer studs because you need:
4. Spacers so that the wheels clear the new calipers - I think I have 7mm fitted?

the GW/QRG kit used to include spacers and longer studs - might be worth asking them but standard ones will fit. Beware of universal spacers, the OD can be too large to clear the calipers.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Jester007
RSSOC Member

Post by Jester007 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:35 pm

As always, thankyou all :)

I'll PM Mark later today - whats his Username please?

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Jester007 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:35 pm
As always, thankyou all :)

I'll PM Mark later today - whats his Username please?
gtcse8

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”