Ss1 ti not starting.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

mikeh

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by mikeh » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi sorry for starting a new thread on this but I've got still got the same problem but have a different perspective on the fault.
I have fuel the pump stops and starts when the dizzy goes round. Water temp sensor removed checked in water and correct range, I now have power to the coil gets warm when left on but still no spark changed the main resistor. Tips replaced as the other one was not working. So question. Does the cas unit have two functions ? Looking at the manual it looks like it has two diodes one for fuel and another for the engine timing. Is that correct ?. I'll try a few more things tomorrow from the Nissan manual.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by peter freeman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Pump should run for 5 secs or so ( from memory ) if you do not start the engine. Do you have a spark at the plugs and do you have fuel going into the cylinders. If no spark then it could be the dizzy or the coil - it getting warm does not mean anything. The resistor you refer to is probably the power transistor ? - they rarely fail - check the earth to the base though.

mikeh

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by mikeh » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:26 pm

I can hear the fuel injectors firing as I turn the dizzy ( not in the engine ) the fuel pump definitely pumps fuel. I don't have a spark. It's like the signal to fire is missing.
I had nothing at the coil previously but since I changed the power resistor I've now got something.
Does the cas unit have two different signals one fuel and one for spark. Thx for any help. Mike

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by peter freeman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:22 pm

I would try a new relay in R10 position that's the engine management relay then try bits by substitution - there must be someone close to you who has a TI. I have had two TI dizzy failures in my time but in both cases they went intermittent first - not working when they were hot and started working again when they cooled - I have also had a coil fail. Finding the fault by replacement if you can do it is the easiest way to get to the root cause. When and how did the problem start.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by philhoward » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:14 pm

There are 2 signals from the distributor but they are when the cam is at TDC, and what angle it is at any one time - based on that marker point. From what I remember, you can get a whole revolution of the dizzy before it complains it hasn’t had the other signal?

The dizzy doesn’t give a separate signal for spark and fuel - it’s the same combination of signals used for both functions.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

mikeh

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by mikeh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 am

I've got the engine set at TDC with the dizzy out and turning the rotor arm.
Is there anyone close to Tamworth with a Ti that I could take the dizzy to and try it on there car ?
Or could i post it to someone to get it checked ?

Thanks

Mike

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by philhoward » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:14 am

Ok - reading this suggests my previous statement was wrong and the two sensors are used differently. I really must dig out my S12 manual!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by peter freeman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:59 am

mikeh wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 am
Is there anyone close to Tamworth with a Ti that I could take the dizzy to and try it on there car ?

Thanks

Mike
Try Mark Wilson - he bought a few dizzy pcbs a while back and has a TI so should be able to check it for you

manny
RSSOC Member

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by manny » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:12 am

mikeh wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 am

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike ,

i am not too far.. ( Smethwick ) you can pop down to try it on mine? - it has no coolant at the moment- but i have had mine running\idling briefly ...
Or

I can collect the Dizzy and test it out for you ? , i have a trip to Nottingham later this afternoon and don't mind collecting it.
EIther way the testing will have to be over the next long weekend.
PM me if interested ..

Ta

Manny
Last edited by manny on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by gtcse8 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 am

Crank Angle Sensor burnt out.
Just changed one this week.
The fuel pump ran when the shaft was spun but no sparks or clicking from injectors.

If Manny can confirm by substitution or fitting it to his car ( can be tested without removal of a known running dizzy ), just plug it in and spin it.

I still have New units.
Mark

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

manny
RSSOC Member

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by manny » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:59 pm

gtcse8 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 am
Crank Angle Sensor burnt out.
Just changed one this week.
The fuel pump ran when the shaft was spun but no sparks or clicking from injectors.

If Manny can confirm by substitution or fitting it to his car ( can be tested without removal of a known running dizzy ), just plug it in and spin it.

I still have New units.
Mark
Mark - that's a point i had not considered, i was going to replace it!-so i guess with the harness connected to the test dizzy -electrics on ..i guess i will hear the injectors operate?...what should i be observing if the dizzy is good, fuel pump, sparks and injectors all working? - as you suggest..

Ta

Manny

mikeh

Ss1 ti not starting.

Post by mikeh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi Manny thanks for your kind offer.
I have been down and followed the diagnosis for the cam angle sensor that Phil posted and am getting the correct voltages as I rotate the dizzy both from the injector side and the firing side so the cas unit appears to be working correctly. Looking at the coil and googling how to check it, looks like the coil is knackered as the one side is dead. So I'll get a coil ordered and try that next. I'll update in the next couple of days and thanks again for all the advice. Mike

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”