Electrical problem

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

myredscimitar
RSSOC Member

Electrical problem

Post by myredscimitar » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:05 pm

After several months of trouble free driving my 1400 has developed an electrical fault, which I hate as car electrics are not my strong suit!

All working as normal yesterday, however today I have no ignition light or " brake test light " when ignition switched on. Checked brake fluid level, reservoir is still full. I only noticed this when I restarted to drive away from Screwfix this morning. The lights might have been out when I first left home I guess, but I think I would have noticed.

Am I right in thinking that no ignition light means the alternator will not be working???? ( something about it initially needing a small current through the ignition light to energise the coils???? )

It seems unlikely that two separate faults have developed at the same time, but I can't think of anything that would take these two out?

Any thoughts where I should start before I start messing around ( and probably making things worse )

Thanks

Keith

1600 CVH SS1 1988
1400 CVH SS1 1987
Previous GTE 6b 1983
RSSOC 5432
The Scimitar SS1 is not so much a car as a lifestyle statement; it basically says "I'm mad, and I don't care".

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Electrical problem

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:28 pm

myredscimitar wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:05 pm
Am I right in thinking that no ignition light means the alternator will not be working???? ( something about it initially needing a small current through the ignition light to energise the coils????)
Yes, it will probably mean the alternator doesn't work. I had that happen on the Yellow Peril last year and as well as no light, you could see a lower reading on the voltmeter. The SS1 doesn't have a voltmeter, but I guess it would show the same effect if you connected a separate voltmeter on the battery. In my case it turned out that the small wire on the alternator that connects to the light, had fractured and fallen off the connector. You can test the light by switching the ignition on and connecting the alternator end of the small wire, to earth. The bulb should then light.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

myredscimitar
RSSOC Member

Electrical problem

Post by myredscimitar » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:54 pm

Thanks Roger
Will have a look tomorrow sometime.

Keith

1600 CVH SS1 1988
1400 CVH SS1 1987
Previous GTE 6b 1983
RSSOC 5432
The Scimitar SS1 is not so much a car as a lifestyle statement; it basically says "I'm mad, and I don't care".

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”