Se6a Power steering leak

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Stuart Robinson

Se6a Power steering leak

Post by Stuart Robinson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi,

Have a small leak on the power steering drivers side. Thought it was the power steering pipes so removed them all today and they all looked in good order so reinstalled.

I did however notice a tear in the steering gaiter facing the four rack unions offside. Would this cause power steering fluid to drip, slowly but enough to require attention?

While the boot is off I did take the liberty of cleaning up (wipe down) the steering track rod and ball joint. Should this be a dry fit or is lubricated? Just curious before I install a new gaiter.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Stuart

1979 SE 6A
RSSOC 6406

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Se6a Power steering leak

Post by peter freeman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:47 pm

There should be some fluid in the gaiters and there is a pipe between the two ends to transfer fluid, big question is are you having to top the fluid tank up. Mark will probably be along to give you the full info.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Se6a Power steering leak

Post by gtcse8 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Stuart the only way that PAS fluid could come from or drip from the gaiter is if the seals are passing fluid into them.
The 41 year old rack will have lost the ORIGINAL lube from BURMAN who made it.
It is now accepted that a liquid grease is painted all over the internal parts within the rubber boots.
I would use a Molly rich CV Grease painted over the shiny parts before fitting a new gaiter.
Stuart Robinson wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:08 pm
Have a small leak on the power steering drivers side
Are you losing fluid from the pump??. I`ll rephrase that, is the pump reservoir dropping?.

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry:1 SE6b, 1 GTC Shell &1 SE6a shell & a Triumph Daytona. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup V8 Chevy https://youtu.be/lbpvDGAMY6g https://youtu.be/7xTrbr0ETSA https://youtu.be/K7HfYVd5Flo

Stuart Robinson

Se6a Power steering leak

Post by Stuart Robinson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:20 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies gents.

In response, I am having to top up the pump fluid weekly.

All the pipes were replaced at least 10 years ago and having taking them out today and refitted them they are all generally in good order, that is no cracks or rust.

The inside of the gaiter was a bit of a mess, never realised it had 50cc of gear oil in it at one time (Thank you Nigel Palmer).

I have moly grease so will liberally apply.

Access to the four unions on the offside is tight and refitting is not much easier. Hopefully refitting the unions and a new gaiter will stop the leak.

1979 SE 6A
RSSOC 6406

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Se6a Power steering leak

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:34 am

Stuart Robinson wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:20 pm
In response, I am having to top up the pump fluid weekly.
All the pipes were replaced at least 10 years ago and having taking them out today and refitted them they are all generally in good order, that is no cracks or rust.

The inside of the gaiter was a bit of a mess, never realised it had 50cc of gear oil in it at one time (Thank you Nigel Palmer).
I have moly grease so will liberally apply.
Access to the four unions on the offside is tight and refitting is not much easier. Hopefully refitting the unions and a new gaiter will stop the leak.
Stuart. What Mark is saying is that there are seals in the ends of the rack that keep the fluid within the rack. When, (not 'if''), these seals become ineffective then fluid leaks out of the rack and may leak out into the boots at each end or just out of the end if the boot fastners are not done up fully so new boots will not cure a rack leak. The only cure is new seals in the rack internal ends.
The fluid in the rack is in a closed system. Pressure from the pump on one side drives the rack in one direction and fluid from that direction goes back into the other side by a connecting pipe. i.e pressure on side A drives rack to side B and fluid on side B gets pushed via pipe to side A and vice versa when straitening up again.
Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”