Cologne dizzy

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

philipmasonfrance
RSSOC Member

Cologne dizzy

Post by philipmasonfrance » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:45 am

A couple of years back I had a problem with the original distributor - which turned out to be really stupid little pad which had come out and allowed the rotor to contact the stator. OK for 15 minutes or so until the engine just stopped - no ignition. Immediate problem solved courtesy of a s/h unit from QRG. Thanks, Nigel. At the time I had the idea of stripping down and refurbishing the original unit, but that proved more, ahem, challenging than foreseen! Also I managed to lose a TINY circlip in the process. So I put the project away until this year when Mark Wilson dug out an old dizzy, somewhat disassembled with the missing parts. Thanks again, Mark. Only problem is, I now have two distributors, with all the necessary parts, but no memory as to how they go together! I would REALLY prefer not to have to remove the current dizzy in the car (what a b...er to get at!), so does anybody have a detailed diagram of the Cologne distributor please? I think the tiny wire clip (circlip is too fine a description) goes under the felt oiling pad, but there are also several spring washers which I need to identify. A diagram would be really useful!

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Cologne dizzy

Post by DARK STAR » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:35 pm

Attachments
Capture d’écran 2020-09-27 à 19.35.05.png
Capture d’écran 2020-09-27 à 19.35.05.png (317.7 KiB) Viewed 188 times

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN
On the road I don't drive fast, but I don't slow down for corners
In competition I drive very fast, but not always on the track ...

philipmasonfrance
RSSOC Member

Cologne dizzy

Post by philipmasonfrance » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:16 am

Crumbs, Chris, that's great. A useful starting point - except I can't see the felt oiling pad (anyway, I assume that's what it is) and the weird little wire clip somewhere under the rotor arm....

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Cologne dizzy

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:09 am

Yes Phil it is a felt oiling pad to keep the rotor unit lubed to allow for advance/retard.
The little C clip is there to prevent too much upward movement of that part to stop the rotor arm from eating the inside of the cap.

That`s a different unit to the GTC supplied one, ours use a screwed on cap and are assembled differently.
That`s why no little clip showing.

There are quite a few dizzies out there that will operate a GTC, been there and seen them :wink:

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry:1 SE6b, 1 GTC Shell &1 SE6a shell & a Triumph Daytona. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup V8 Chevy https://youtu.be/lbpvDGAMY6g https://youtu.be/7xTrbr0ETSA https://youtu.be/K7HfYVd5Flo

philipmasonfrance
RSSOC Member

Cologne dizzy

Post by philipmasonfrance » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks again, Mark. always useful!

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”