SE6/GTC heated front window fitting issues

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Alex B

Post by Alex B » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Mod edit - SE6/GTC screen fitting issues split from coupe

We had exactly the same issue with a GTC screen, the glass wouldn't even fit between the pillars , unfortunately the screen fitters assumed it was made to fit so ended up breaking it, another, non-heated screen, from the same supplier, (sourced through a club trader) was also too big so was immediately sent back, we ended up re-fitting the original. Our screen fitters said that heated screens are available from Triplex but had a 12 week wait and were in the region of £1200.

I was hoping it was a GTC specific issue as I want to get a heated front screen for my coupe but it's looking like a manufacturing quality issue if 2 unrelated screens don't fit.

Alex B

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:15 pm

I thought SE6/GTC screens are larger than the hole, hence why the proper seal is “Z” shaped?

Datsundrew had his bonded in. Looks great in both pictures and in reality.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 pm

Now I think about it, the heated screen on my GTC didn't seem to be the same shape as the frame.
I put it down to incompetent fitting and filled the leaks with (lots of) sikaflex.
Attachments
DSCF1934.jpg
DSCF1934.jpg (274.29 KiB) Viewed 344 times

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN
On the road I don't drive fast, but I don't slow down for corners
In competition I drive very fast, but not always on the track ...

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:16 pm

I have an issue with my GTC project too. It was professionally fitted, but badly as the lower cornersare not properly wrapped over the flange. It appears that the glass may be too large, although it was bought from the club scheme and is heated. Screen fitters have been consulted but don't want to be bothered with it. Rubber was a new one supplied by QRG. Is the consensus that the glass is too big, or the rubber is the wrong profile or what?

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:24 pm

I no longer have mine but it seems to me that the bottom corners are too big, especially on the right.
With the Sikaflex it is hardly noticeable 8)

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN
On the road I don't drive fast, but I don't slow down for corners
In competition I drive very fast, but not always on the track ...

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:40 pm

I had a chap round last week who's fitted a number of screens for me over the years and has had no real problem he fitted screens to new scimitars in the early 80's. Well he had no problems until last week that is. He tried to fit a new heated screen into a 6b, it cracked nearside bottom corner in area of cable connection. He was of the opinion it is was the profile of the window but wasn't impressed with the new rubber seal quality. Took him less than five minutes to fit the original back in with a second hand rubber

Geraint

Sabre ti ti, SST,se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

ard126k

Post by ard126k » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:08 pm

When I was refitting the GTC screen after repaint I had terrible trouble until I noticed that the groove in the rubber for the lip in the body wasn't deep enough to take the lip. I trimmed the body lip slightly and then the screen fitted, still with some difficulty but it did fit. It was a new rubber and an original but s/h screen. Point is it gave the impression that the screen was too big....
Alex.

1971 SE5, 1977 SE6a, previously 1982 GTC

Alex B

Post by Alex B » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:03 pm

AJL Electronics wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:16 pm
I have an issue with my GTC project too. It was professionally fitted, but badly as the lower cornersare not properly wrapped over the flange. It appears that the glass may be too large, although it was bought from the club scheme and is heated. Screen fitters have been consulted but don't want to be bothered with it. Rubber was a new one supplied by QRG. Is the consensus that the glass is too big, or the rubber is the wrong profile or what?
The old screen went straight in with the new rubber supplier by QRG and we've had no reports from the owner of any leaks etc, (it's his only car/daily driver and we see him for regular servicing).

Alex B

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”