Head lining material and rear safety belt metal stays

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

markpin

Post by markpin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:13 pm

Hi

I am looking to sort out the headlining under my webasto roof which is badly ripped and perished. I was wondering what material do people use to replace and where can I get hold a bit? I suppose its time to play with the sewing machine?

I also need to replace the two metal stays between my chassis and the rear safety belt lower outer mounts. Does anyone know if I can buy new or should i just make some?

Mark

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:56 pm

Look at West of England wool cloth for the headlining.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

markpin

Post by markpin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:14 am

Thanks

Looks great

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 am

Metal stays----you could try Graham Walker Ltd 01244 381777 (the owner of the rights to Scimitar) or QRG (Queensberry Rd Garage) 01536 518319

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

markpin

Post by markpin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:11 pm

Thanks for the advice, I call Graham Walker and they are all available. Sorted !

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:18 pm

Reference the seat belt mount where the bolt goes through the body and through a thin metal plate on the outside......if it has not already rusted out. A very curvy and difficult shape to make. When I repaired mine I found the body around the hole had bulged out and the washer on the inside nearly pulling through. You can heat up the GRP body around the hole and it becomes a bit soft and then put flat sandwich plates inside and outside and a bolt through the middle and do this up and the plates will flatten out the bulge nicely...then leave to go cold and it stays flat....just be careful with the heat!
It just remains then to put the correct size washers on the belt mounting to prevent the bulging again.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

markpin

Post by markpin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:11 pm

That could be a good solution to mine as the bolts and broken strap look quite rusty so its possible I will need to cut them and then make good. I will use your method it its needed, thanks.

Mark

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”