Indicator Cancellation

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

se6b

Indicator Cancellation

Post by se6b » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Hi All

Sure this topic has been covered before, but I can’t find an answer.

Recently purchased and installed a Moto-Lita steering wheel and a B44A boss on my SE6b.

Unfortunately I can’t get the indicator cancellation ring from the back of the original steering wheel to fit the new boss.

Is there a trick to this or a suitable alternative available?

Thanks in advance!

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Indicator Cancellation

Post by erikscimitardemon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:52 am

Does the plastic ring with the tooths actually catch the indicator?

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Indicator Cancellation

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:54 am

It might be different on the 6 series, but the Mountney wheel I had on my 5a had a couple of roll pins inserted into the back face of the boss to catch the legs on the cancellation mechanism.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Indicator Cancellation

Post by peter freeman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:38 am

Why bother with it - I did away with it when I fitted EPAS on three of my cars. It never works when you want it to and works when you don't want it to. I just cancel manually which becomes automatic after a while - even cancel manually on the car I have left with auto cancelling

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Indicator Cancellation

Post by efi_sprintgte » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:00 am

I fitted a Moutney to my 6a a few months ago, it had a hole for the roll pin but the roll pins miss the cancellation mechanism

I just drill/tapped some threads into the boss in the right place and use Allen bolt heads, these now trigger the cancellation mechanism.

JC

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Indicator Cancellation

Post by adamwilkes » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:21 pm

I concur with peter freeman - the self-cancel function is just a pain if you can actually drive. Never do what you really want, they are a lazy driver's crutch if the indicators are used at all. I'll probably remove it from mine when I start driving it, I did remove it from my Renault 4 and will do so soon on my campervan because it's cancelling when I need it on!

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

se6b

Indicator Cancellation

Post by se6b » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:37 pm

Take on board what you say regarding manually cancelling them. Was doing that anyway. Definitely not a problem, but was just wondering if there were any simple parts to rectify it as the self cancel had been working perfectly with the original Scimitar steering wheel. Unfortunately the correct Moto-Lita boss for an SE6b doesn’t come with any holes and was deliberating whether I wanted to drill into it.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Indicator Cancellation

Post by Old and Slow » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:40 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, I put a buzzer on my non-self-cancelling indicators - prevents me forgetting to cancel (- a noisy noise annoys an oyster most) :D

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”