Complete confusion, wiring,firing

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Oddjobber23

Post by Oddjobber23 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Hello, I hope someone can help me with a non firing problem. I have a SE6a and it is in need of extensive work as it has been sitting for many years apparently. When I got it the coil and ballast resistor were sitting on the front seat, and the coil had a hole in the side. I decided to buy a new one of each of them, which arrived yesterday. I followed the wiring diagram that has been very helpfully put on this site as much as I could, knowing absolutely nothing about electricity and with the diagram looking as if it was from another planet. It says that the white wire from the ignition goes onto the ballast resistor and a white and yellow go to the coil which I think then goes to the starter. On the other pole goes a black and white, and another to the distributor. The wire to the dizzy is a different colour to the one stated on the diagram, but I assume that does not matter. Anyway to the point, apologies for the winding route but I am trying to give all the info. Again to the point, I see a plus and a minus on the coil and a plus on the resistor but I have no idea which wire goes to the plus on the resistor or to the plus or negative on the coil. The coil I purchased came without the connectors attached and as each pole is the same size I have no way of knowing which goes where.
Can someone help by giving me a tutorial, in idiots language, as to which wire goes to which component and which goes to plus and minus, on each component.
Again my total apologies to the long windedness, if that is even a word, and even if you read this far and call me an idiot I thank you for reading this far.
Thank you, Alan

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Post by TrevorG » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi Alan
Positive on the coil should go to the ballast resistor. And no, you're not an idiot.....wiring diagrams are easy for those that use them regularly. We've all got to start somewhere 😁😁
First thing to check though is what is in the distributor! Take the cap off, if you have points in there, then use the ballast resistor, if it's got an electronic ignition, then we need to know more!
Another useful download here is the owners manual.....it has quite a lot of basic info including a b/w wiring diagram with + and - marked on most items where appropriate.

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:30 pm

Alan , I cannot help you , as I am electrically challenged as well . Put a engine in front of me and a good manual and I am ok , not an expert but ok .The issues are often compounded by the fact that our cars are quite old now and have had the electrics " up dated" by previous owners who probably had electrical skills only a little advanced from ours . Please do not apologise , one thing I have learnt from a little time on this forum is that we are all in it together and 99.9 % of members will be happy to help , some of the lads may be coming back from Curbs today so I hope you will get some help soon . Regards . Richard aka Catweazle .

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:42 pm

There might be someone local to you who can help - let us know where you are

Oddjobber23

Post by Oddjobber23 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Hi, thanks for all the input I really am most grateful. So the coil positive is the white and yellow, and the positive on the ballast. My dizzy has points and condensor if it helps.
Cheers, Alan

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Post by TrevorG » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Points and condenser means you should stick to the ballast and coil, I was just pondering that if they had been taken out, someone might have put electronic ignition in!

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:47 pm

Alan , I think you may live in Helhoughton , why not give Richard [ Pellvet ? ] a bell as he is the local Sec for the noggin that possibly meets at The Bell Marlingford [ covid issue appreciated ] , his number is on the noggin page . I agree with Peter , nothing like face to face [ or ear to ear ] and it will build up a local knowledge base for those future problems :) Regards Richard .

Oddjobber23

Post by Oddjobber23 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:52 pm

Thank you so much everybody I am in your debt for all the input. You are quite correct, I am indeed in Helhoughton in sunny North Norfolk. As for contacting Pellvet I have absolutely no idea what you mean by noggin. I am one of those muppets the bumble on regardless and come back to the font of all knowledge Scimitar when I am really stuck. I am beginning to wonder whether I should even bother with it. I sent a mate to look at the car whilst I was in hospital with double pneumonia and he graded it as a worthy subject within my capabilities, and him a mechanic. It arrived and it is basically gutted inside and the outside isn't much better, but I always loved a challenge.
Regards, Alan

ard126k

Post by ard126k » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Noggin (aka Noggin and Natter) is a meeting of people who like to share their Scimitar-centred troubles over a quiet refreshment.

https://scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/noggin-meetings

1971 SE5 1977 SE6a 1982 GTC

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi Alan , sorry to hear about your illness , hope you are on the mend . A noggin is , as far as I am aware , a informal get together of local enthusiasts most have a Scim ,some aspire [ silly s.ds]. They normally happen at a local pub and are very laid back when I have gone . You will meet people from all walks of life ,and I have to say that of all the different car club noggins I have been to over the last 40 years [ I am 64 ] the Scimitar ones are the most kind and welcoming , think of it as GOOGLE with a pint in your hand [ shandy ]. I would not be surprised if some one from your area pops up soon and invites you [covid appreciated]. Come on you Norfolk boys give the man a hand Regards Richard .

Cartrain
RSSOC Member

Post by Cartrain » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:25 pm

I’m not an expert on wiring either, but what I would say is that make sure you have proper connectors fitted. Avoid crimping where possible.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:29 pm

Welcome;
Here's my take on it...
The coil should have a + and a - The - goes to the distributor so that the points can connect the coil to earth.
The + goes to the ballast resistor (via a white/yellow wire)
The other end of the ballast resistor goes to the ignition switch (via a white wire).
This should all work OK and give you sparks at the spark plugs.
In addition, because the starter draws lots of power and the battery voltage usually drops a bit during starting (especially during cold weather), there should be an extra wire putting battery voltage directly onto the coil but only while the ignition switch is turned fully and the starter motor is turning. However, with a good battery you should get sparks even if this wire isn't yet fitted.
Fingers crossed this makes sense and you make some progress..
Good luck !

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:45 pm

Quite simple really
Attachments
ignition.jpg
ignition.jpg (57.98 KiB) Viewed 408 times

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:17 am

Oddjobber23 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:46 pm
as each pole is the same size I have no way of knowing which goes where
The Correct type of coil for the Scimitar has Different sized threaded poles. :!:
If you look closely at Peters Artwork you can just make out the size difference.

This means the coil can only be connected one way round, if the Black rubber Ford/Reliant ends are still attached to the ignition wires. :?: that is.

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry:1 SE6b, 1 GTC Shell &1 SE6a shell & a Triumph Daytona. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup V8 Chevy https://youtu.be/lbpvDGAMY6g https://youtu.be/7xTrbr0ETSA https://youtu.be/K7HfYVd5Flo

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:24 am

A picture's worth a thousand words. - thanks Peter.
Shows my confusion over the White/Yellow wire so ignore what I said!

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”