fitting flex plate/drive plate and torque converter

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:38 am

I dont wish to sound too pessimistic but I once had a C3 behind a Pinto 4 cyl and rather naively bolted it up wrong.
It was a long time ago but I do recall damage being caused.
Since then for me , if the torque converter is removed , then I stand the gearbox on its tail , lower the converter into place and spin it.
From there you watch it drop and engage fully and safely in the pump .
Hope yours is ok

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Pogle wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:33 am
Once again Saracen thanks
I'd sincerely turn off your spellchecker!!
Unless there's a hidden meaning in there somewhere?

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Phil, Saracen is Dave and he posted pictures. :lol:
Pogle WAS actually thanking him :oops:

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry:1 SE6b, 1 GTC Shell &1 SE6a shell & a Triumph Daytona. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup V8 Chevy https://youtu.be/lbpvDGAMY6g https://youtu.be/7xTrbr0ETSA https://youtu.be/K7HfYVd5Flo

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Got it... :oops:

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i

Sarecen

Post by Sarecen » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:01 pm

Hi Pogle

No worries,pleased to be of help. :D

Saracen

Pogle

Post by Pogle » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:01 pm

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far I feel a bit foolish having got it so wrong, twice! but there we go. Life is a learning curve, go round it too fast and crash! Took your advice Mr Coupe Racing and up ended the gearbox and spun the converter into place and measured the distance between the face of the converter and edge of the bell housing and it is the required 10mm so it has gone in the correct distance although it is a bit wobbly is this the norm? with the box laid back down and the converter fully engaged there is a bit of up and down movement it is not held straight.
I have double checked my drive plate and spacer and that the torque converter bolts clear at about 4mm when fitted and they do. Therefore providing I have not damaged the gearbox ALREADY then I am ready to offer up the gearbox and converter to the engine and put it all back together. What worries me is COUPE RACER has mentioned about causing damage I did do it wrong however did not turn the engine more than 1 revolution and didn`t turn it on the starter - did not get that far before noticing the problem.
Before I go back down the road of refitting all this is there anyway I can check the gearbox pump isn`t already broken before I re-install everything? On the plus side I am getting pretty good at whipping this lump in and out - just getting a bit fed up with doing so I just want to put it back and drive the darned thing. LOL. It is now way behind schedule but hey should be a good drive (once it has been run in)

Once again thanks to everyone who has offered advice and photos it has helped immensely , I am taking things slowly for the moment hopefully this will be the last time of putting it back in. Then I have to sort out the nightmare wiring on the car and fit the front seats and carpet and it will be ready for a post restoration MOT check and on the road again. Shall keep you all posted - its not going to be a prize winner at shows but it will be tidy I will be happy with that.

I will keep you posted on progress - anyone with last minute words of wisdom to help me down this dark path please do not be shy, I am more than happy to listen - unless of course those words are ¬ buy a different car ¬ :D :shock:

Best wishes and thanks to everyone hopefully see you on the road soon.
Regards
Ian aka Pogle
Plymouth

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:11 pm

The man who makes no mistakes makes nothing - don’t beat yourself up about it.

We all learn the hard way - hoping you’ve got away with it.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Pogle

Post by Pogle » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 pm

Thank you Phil much appreciated

To help everyone see where I am and to hopefully give me the confidence to go ahead and refit this nemesis I have literally just made a 60 second video and posted it to youtube please have a look does this look right? Your expert opinions should I go with this - no blame will be apportioned if I have buggered something up just need someone or those with more knowledge to say yep looks ok go for it. Please take a minute to look at my video if you have been there comment and I will listen. Here is the link it goes public at 23.15hrs

Thanks Pogle

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:20 am

Watched your video this morning, too late to comment before going live!
I assume the play will disappear when the end of the shaft enters the gearbox, but you know what they say - Assume makes an Ass of u and me.
Hopefully an expert will respond shortly.
Good luck - third time lucky?

Philip Needham

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:24 am

If the box is still out of the car then why not remove the pump and check.
The damage is not done by turning the engine but rather the incorrect converter drive lugs in relation to the pump.
Bolting up the converter and bell housing causes a crush situation in the pump drive

Pogle

Post by Pogle » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks Coupe Racing that would be my preferred option I don`t know anything about these boxes but I have found this exploded view of the C3 box it looks as if I can take off the bell housing, a plate and a gasket I assume that the part I am looking to see undamaged is the inner ring of 530? The oil pump. If it is indeed broken does anyone know where I can get replacement parts?
I have attached a photo of the parts catalogue It looks fairly straight forward to double check might as well renew the seal as well if I can find one.
Attachments
gearboxfront.jpg
C3 BOX FRONT PART 530 THE OIL PUMP RINGS LIKELY TO BE DAMAGED THROUGH INCORRECT ASSEMBLY
gearboxfront.jpg (178.28 KiB) Viewed 137 times

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:07 pm

All spares for the C3, and a lot of others, are still available from JP Auto transmissions in Bristol.
Their website breaks down every bit in the box and helps identify the parts.

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry:1 SE6b, 1 GTC Shell &1 SE6a shell & a Triumph Daytona. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup V8 Chevy https://youtu.be/lbpvDGAMY6g https://youtu.be/7xTrbr0ETSA https://youtu.be/K7HfYVd5Flo

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:29 pm

Yes it is reachable via the bell housing.
Peace of mind for you and will save another removal

Pogle

Post by Pogle » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:55 pm

Many thanks guys, I will check for damage before I re-assemble - yes peace of mind is worth the extra bit of work.

I shall report findings

Regards

Ian

derekoss

Post by derekoss » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:52 pm

Hi, if you're taking that bellhousing off another half hour and you'd have the box stripped. Might well be in need of an overhaul anyway. Quite a simple box to do.

Derek

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”