GTC Manual Gearbox removal

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:55 pm

While it is off I would be tempted to cut across the plate between g/box and engine. That is the plate that covers the bottom of the front of the g/box that hangs down below the bottom of the engine block. The 6/6a with Essex has that bit as a separate half moon shaped bit that can be removed independently. With the Cologne set up the rear of the sump fouls the ribs on that one piece plate making it very difficult to get the sump off. If that bottom bit of the plate was removable - 3 fastenings- life would be a lot simpler. Plate ribs can't be levered in to make them shallower due to very close proximity of flywheel.
Has anyone cut their Cologne plate to do this mod? Not had my eng./g/box out yet so not had a chance to do the cut, but when changing timing wheels the getting off of the sump was probably the hardest part. (It would be nice if someone else agreed on doing this??)
Also if you like using torque wrenches you can't get at gearbox to engine fastenings with engine in car to use a torque wrench.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

philipmasonfrance
RSSOC Member

Post by philipmasonfrance » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Having successfully removed and re-sealed the gearbox I decided that I should treat the GTC to a professional steam clean of the chassis to get rid of decades of oily clag. I took it to the main HGV garage in Draguignan to see if they offered such a service? "No." Do they know anybody who does? "No." So what do you do to lorries for MOT's? "Take 'em down the car wash!!" Give me strength!

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:08 pm

Did you cut the plate?

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

guybetts
RSSOC Member

Post by guybetts » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:40 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:08 pm
Did you cut the plate?
Dennis, I'm close to reassembling mine after replacing the timing gear. I struggled too, to get the sump off, though I'm wondering if it would be easier to trim the lip of the sump instead of trying to cut out the bell housing plate - which won't be that easy whilst in situ in the car.

It seems to be due to an almost interference fit between the oil pump inside the sump and the bell housing cover plate on the outside, but only really in the offside rear corner. With new gaskets to fit, I really don't want to struggle trying to get it all back together, especially as it's only on axle stands - not the luxury of a ramp or lift.

I cannot see that removing the lip for a few centimetres would sufficiently weaken the sump, which is fairly substantial and relatively thick steel - Unless someone can suggest otherwise :?:

Guy

GTC Registrar

1966 Straight Six Coupe, 1981 GTC
Previous: SS1 1300 (C230 EPP) & 18ti (D993 WRX)

philipmasonfrance
RSSOC Member

Post by philipmasonfrance » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:57 am

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:08 pm
Did you cut the plate?
:oops: Actually it was son, James, who did the heavy lifting under the car! He may well comment, but I don't remember us having to cut the plate. Perhaps we were lucky, but the gearbox went back in almost more easily than it came out. Relatively speaking!

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”