Windscreen wipers SE6

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

scimitar70
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by scimitar70 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:28 pm

My SE6a has failed its MoT on the wipers which go OK without the arms on, but once fitted there is just too much resistance and they just stop!
I should start by saying that the car has suffered a bodged rebuild, most of which I have now put right, so anything is a possibility!!
I've had the rack out completely and lubed it up well, but it is really hard work getting it back in once it gets near the offside wheel box and once fully in moving it to and fro to get the wheel boxes to turn is a real mission (they seem to turn quite readily when the rack is out).
Firstly, can anyone tell me whether the tube from the nearside wheel box to the offside wheel box should have a bend just before it enters the wheel box?
On the basis that it shouldn't (which I suspect!!), how on earth do you get the tube out to straighten it??!! Access seems almost impossible, so there must be a knack which someone knows.

Too many Scimitars is always one more than you've got and several less than the missus wants!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by philhoward » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:42 pm

scimitar70 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:28 pm
Firstly, can anyone tell me whether the tube from the nearside wheel box to the offside wheel box should have a bend just before it enters the wheel box?
Pretty sure it shouldn’t - there should be one gentle curve just after (?) it goes through the firewall. A quick look at the parts list will show the correct shape.

Someone else recently went through the process IIRC also having a kink in the tube?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

piers.morrell
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by piers.morrell » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Hi, I posted on this issue in the wanted section. Exact same problem and I managed to get a photo of the bend into the wheelbox.
Have hatched a plan of how to do it but away for a few days so will post the method once I've cracked it. Good to be optimistic and all that...!

Piers

1979 6a Auto

scimitar70
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by scimitar70 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:08 pm

HI both and thanks for your replies.
I've been puzzling on this since I posted and had come up with a plan of how to get to the wheel boxes in order to disassemble the setup.
I thought I'd been rather clever, but then came up with this previous thread which is exactly what I was thinking of!! Not so clever after all!!!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38010&start=45
I'm quite fortunate as I've got a scrap car to practise on. Do you think I should take some pics and do an article for Slice?
I'll post how I get on with it as I'll plan to do the trial run this weekend!! Mind you, that's only the plan!!!!!

Too many Scimitars is always one more than you've got and several less than the missus wants!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by philhoward » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:15 am

I think there’s always a need for articles for Slice?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimitar70
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by scimitar70 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 am

OK, so yesterday I spent some time (and lost some flesh!!) on the scrap car and I can report back that cutting holes under the bonnet is going to be a waste of time as it doesn't give sufficient access to the compartment you need to get to and anyway, the wiring loom will prevent you from pushing the spigots down enough to clear the holes in the bodywork.
So I'm afraid that the only way I could get to anything was by removing the thick section of wiring loom that goes from nearside to offside having disconnected all the connectors (yep, did that on the scrap car also - I'm not stupid!!!). Then push/pull the wiper tube towards the nearside until the wheel box is on the cut out behind the glove box (which had already been removed) and above the corrugated heater hose (also already out) and you should then have reasonable access to undo the nuts holding the two halves of that wheel box together using a 3/8" ring spanner. Then slide the remaining tube to the offside where again you should have access to the nuts on the wheel box.
And the other bit of news is that the bundy tube between the two boxes on the scrap car was bend in exactly the same place as in my good car, so I have to assume that this was the Reliant design for it (for some reason which I'm sure I don't understand!!).
So . . . . I'm now turning my attention to making sure the wheel boxes are running friction free and that the motor is working properly to see if that solves the problem.
The annoying thing is that if the first sprayer who did (or rather didn't do!!) the job had done so in a reasonable period of time the problem would probably never have been there as the wipers were working just fine when I delivered the car to him (3 years ago!!!).
The other problem I had was with a broke column switch which had gone in the usual place and was very wibbley. I managed a neat little repair on that which should well and truly stand the test of time - that's if anyone is interested!!!!) - Maybe another Slice article????

scimitar70
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by scimitar70 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:21 pm

So I've withdrawn the rack (again!!) and drilled a small hole in each muck metal spigot sleeve just below the knurled bit that the wipers fit onto and through to just touching the spindle inside. I've put plenty of 3 in 1 oil down there moving them up and down and spinning them a lot until they both spin pretty friction free.
I then turned my attentions to the motor itself and noted that the cover was bring excess pressure on the link between the motor and the Bowden cable. I took the assembly on the spigot attached to the gear wheel apart and turned the nylon washer over so that the link was now running closer to the wheel (with the appropriate washer between the wheel and the arm) then another thin washer and the circlip, put the whole thing back together, started the engine, wet the screen and the wipers are now working perfectly.
Not sure exactly what has fixed it, but I'm sure glad those pesky tubes are staying exactly where they were!!!!!!!!!!!

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by TrevorG » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:06 am

When you think of how many moving parts with differing actions.....fore and aft, see saw, rotating, wibbly wobbly....all combine to make up the wiper gear with any number of pressure points (and pressure alleviation points!), the total 'out of sight out of mind' placement which makes sure it never gets lubricated it's a wonder of engineering that there are no more problems. Probably why they are bar stewards to get at (as the car companies tried to hide them!).

Bring back the vacuum operated ones.....as long as the world is all downhill! 😉😉

PS my tractors and mg m type don't have the problem

piers.morrell
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by piers.morrell » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi, interesting the scrap car had the same problem, was it re-sprayed at any point? Could be the tube was bent when the spindle nuts were (over) tightened.
How did you get the drive cable through the bend - only way I could is to apply such force the motor will then have to deal with that in operation which I'm keen to avoid.
Accessing the wheelboxes is a joy. Gave up for now as lying head down in a footwell in this heat is making me melt.

Piers

1979 6a Auto

IanC
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by IanC » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:33 am

Glad to hear that potential nightmare has been sorted - next stop MoT station!
Ian

Current : SE5a 4spd auto , SS1 1.9CVH
Past: SE5, SE5a x 3, GTC x 3, SE6, SE6a

scimitar70
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by scimitar70 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Yes, the scrap car has almost certainly been resprayed, but its funny that the bend is at just the same point and to about the same degree (so far as my fingers up that stupid access hole could ascertain anyway!!!)
To get the rack past the second bend I just needed to push hard as the end of the cable was forced round the bend, then it wasn't too bad in terms of resistance. I put a 6 inch nail through the hole in the end of the rack to give be something to push on and also fed it int close to the tube end.
After the car has gone through its MoT test and the wheel boxes have freed up on the tubes from the scrap Scimitar, I plan to try to straighten the tube out and see what difference it makes to the length and therefore whether it would fit back in with the tube straight. I'll report back on that one when I've done it.
I do think that, unless you find a knack that I was unable to find, you'll need to remove the wiring loom in order to access the wheel boxes. It seems a tremendous hassle, but I don't think it's achievable unless you do so. It's not perhaps Reliant's best decision to put the loom through there as it would easily have fitted behind the dashboard, but there you go - they didn't!!!!

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Sorry bit late but still playing catch up after hectic time of non motoring fixing.

See my posts titled WIPERS started Wed Oct 16 2019. I know it is for GTC but much is applicable to 6a.

(still don't know how to do a link..sorry Jim I never did find your article on how to).

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by scimjim » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:35 pm

(still don't know how to do a link..sorry Jim I never did find your article on how to).

Dennis
I’ve made it a global announcement so that it’s at the top of every section, especially for you :D

Anyone that knows how to select text, copy it and paste it somewhere else, on their machine of choice, will be able to post a link after reading it. If you can’t, please feel free to PM or email me using the buttons next to the word contact under my avatar (picture of 8 ball with my username underneath) on the left <<<

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:48 pm

Lets try then
Wipers

Hey thats magic it works..hey folks there is light outside the cave..just got to remember how to do it next time :roll: thanks Jim.
Last edited by Dennis Nicholas on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Windscreen wipers SE6

Post by scimjim » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:48 pm
Lets try then
Wipers
success 👍

And not the simple version: www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42067

But the tidy hyperlinked word “wipers” 8)

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”