Problems logging in or posting pictures?
Can't register?
Not received your activation email?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:19 am

MY user name and password no longer is remembered - is this due to the latest update of Firefox or a change of the site software. Not really a problem as I can type it in again each time but a irritation.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 am

Sounds like a Firefox thing? If that's been recently updated, then that would be the main suspect..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:42 am

Firefox does seem to have changed slightly, with the last update. I normally enter the site via the "View Unread" option. I have a saved link in the Bookmarks list on the left, and an icon on the "Top Sites" on the New Tab. In the past, it did remember my name on the first, but not on the second, now it does on both. It doesn't remember my password, but then I don't ask it to. Maybe you just need to recheck the "remember me" box, to force it to save it again?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:11 am

I have checked the remember me box - several times but when I look at the Firefox saved passwords there are none. Silverstone next weekend so more to think about at the moment - our MB just passed its MOT this morning so that's not a worry.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Have you tried deleting forum cookies (bottom right)? That's the only other thing I can think of.

Silverstone - yes lots to do before then - noggin tonight, Southern Classics breakfast meet on Sunday, find all my camping gear (in various garages), polish the car (again! :roll: ). See you there!

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Post by David Tew » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:39 pm

You can use LastPass instead of relying on the browser default password vault. LastPass automatically enters username and password on any saved site and will generate and save complex passwords for any new site you sign in to.

Best of all the basic version is free and fully functional! :)

- My wife says I don't listen to her ...... or something like that! -
SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
Bought in 1978 and an RSSOC member since. 😲

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Had similar on another forum despite resetting firefox back to default won't remember the log in ID or password, bloody frustrating, existing sites are all okay though, just new ones, causes me right pains with all the info portals I need to log into

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 pm

I use Safari, Chrome and Internet explorer. All of them regularly log me out of this forum, so I would suspect that firefox isn't the problem.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:06 pm

I thought the remember me box was forum generated and not Firefox generated.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:12 pm

The “remember me” involves cookies i think - which is a browser function (especially when it comes to auto-filling passwords).

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Post by David Tew » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Just donning my CITP hat - sorry for the long post but it may clarify things. :wink:

"Remember Me" is a website facility and is browser independent. It stores a persistent cookie on your PC which is read by the website when you enter the site and logs you in automatically.
Password manager is a browser facility and is website independent. It stores ID and password in it's pasword vault and populates the login fields when you enter a site.

You can easily tell which you're using:
- If you are logged directly in to a site then you're using "Remember Me".
- If the login details are populated when you enter a site but you have to press enter to login then you're using the browser password vault.

"Remember Me" is outdated now and is frowned upon in IT circles as it is easy to steal cookies (and thus logins) from a PC. There is no standard profile for these cookies and each site will store different info and use it in a different way. Also, if you clear cookies you'll lose the automatic login (except if you use a smart maintenance program such as CCleaner).
The browser password vault can be master-password protected and is considered resilient to cybertheft.

The problems people are experiencing could be that the updated browser has password-saving turned off by default. It's worth checking this in the personal and security settings. You should also be able to see what sites are saved. If using "Remember Me" then the cookies are either being deleted or are considered outdated by the website.

There are several third-party password managers that work across all browsers and are therefore generally unaffected by browser updates. I consider LastPass to be the best, hence my recommendation.

Hat off .... getting my coat! :)

- My wife says I don't listen to her ...... or something like that! -
SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
Bought in 1978 and an RSSOC member since. 😲

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:21 pm

I use a separate login/password manager for all my logins. Except that in the case of Scimitarweb, where because I log-in several times per day (I don't have "keep me logged-in" enabled), I can remember my password. :)

....Roger

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:07 pm

I use an Apple MacBook Air with Safari (always updated OS when they update).
When I get the website up and am not logged in and click on the top right "Log In" there appears the log in page and over the boxes where you type ID and Passwords there appears another smallish box with a key symbol to left, my user name in bold and under that, more faded, "from this website" then inder that in a separated off by a line section "other passwords". I just have to click that smallish box and i get automatically logged in.....this is the process if I select a saved reading thingy from the left column e.g. Scimitar Web Discussion - Index page. (The web page appears and I am already logged in).
Sometimes, though my name appears at the top of the page and I therefore appear to be logged in, when I try to post a reply I type out the reply, try to review it or post it and it will not post/review......I have to click on log in again......do so and get back to the discussion finding that the reply box is empty so have to type it all again......especially annoying with a long reply and very late at night........I have now learned to "copy" my reply before doing anything else so that I can just paste reply back in. I think sometimes I just get taken back to the basic website and sometimes back to the discussion page I was reading......sorry it all seems a bit muddled but short of righting down what has happened each time it is difficult to remember the details.
I am puzzled as to why I sometimes get logged out and sometimes not. Sorry am not too well up on IT operating but I am learning fast.....though age tends to erase my memory banks frequently :(
I can't remember what I did in the past that usually gets that smallish box up and logs me in automatically on clicking it.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Sounds like it’s timing out - try pressing refresh before starting your reply to confirm you’re still actually logged in.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:07 pm
Sometimes, though my name appears at the top of the page and I therefore appear to be logged in, when I try to post a reply I type out the reply, try to review it or post it and it will not post/review.....
Sounds as though it's displaying the last page you accessed, from the browser's memory cache, which doesn't actually reflect the true situation, i.e. (as Jim says), you've been logged out. So I'd agree, a refresh first, should sort it.

....Roger

Return to “Forum Issues & News”