New GTC owner

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

GeordieRob
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by GeordieRob » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Hello everyone

I'm Rob and I am the one who bought the Black GTC at Mathewsons last month. My previous car was a MGB GT which I sold in the post lockdown frenzy in June. It was great little car and one of the most hassle free cars I've ever owned, so buying a Scimitar at auction I am expecting a bit of a climb in the problems department, but hopefully no less fun owning it.

Basically my GTC is a very nice car which needs the cobwebs blown off it.

On the plus side: oil pressure is very good, the kenlow fan cuts in at 90 and keeps the car there (I got stuck in a 15 minute traffic jam first time I took it out). It handles well and has a galvanised chassis which is in good nick. It has a good hood which is watertight and the paintwork while old and certainly not perfect presents very nicely. The interior is also good and when I got it all the electrics were working (they aren't now though). Nice wheels with good tyres. There was also a really good history file with the car going back to sale, a lot of the mods on the car seem to have been put on quite early in the cars life as there is a 1988 valuation by Graham Walker. It must have been a special order as it was sold as black.

On the minus side: it is running lumpy, is hard to start and the brakes need a good bit of pressure to stop the car, I am hoping all of this will be solved when I finally get round to giving it a full service. I think the car has done just over 600 miles in four and a half years and had only done just over a hundred in the last 16 months. All the fluids need changing, the plugs are hacky with carbon deposit as are the exhausts, probably rich running or maybe too much idling in the garage. The power steering system has a leak and it hisses when steering. It looks like the hoses which have seen better days. The boot won't open, the lock and mechanism turns but won't release and I can see that being a pain to sort out. A couple of weeks into owning it, the drivers side electric window stopped working, I think it is the motor but will ask in another thread.

So I'm happy enough as it's not too bad all in all. Let's face it if you buy at auction you're taking a fair risk as you can't drive the thing so it could have been a lot worse. I will finally get a chance to start working on it this week so hopefully you won't see me raising too many technical threads which will mean all is going well.

I think this is a great site by the way, I have lurked here for a fair while. There is so much knowledge on here and it was probably what tipped me over into taking the plunge on a Scimitar as I'm not going to pretend I'm a great mechanic and I'm even worse with electrics.

P.S The pipe from the oil catch can does indeed just empty underneath the car.

tony1966

New GTC owner

Post by tony1966 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:19 pm

looked a great buy and a nice car-fancied it myself at the time
they all need bits and pieces-its all part of the ownership experience-plenty folk on here to give you decent advice

scimjim
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by scimjim » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:30 pm

Welcome :D

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Corky
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by Corky » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Welcome.

Does it still have the pierburg carb, or has it got a Weber fitted?

A Weber 38 DGAS or DGMS (if you want a manual choke) will make a big difference to cold starting and general running.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by peter freeman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Best improvement I had was when I fitted SS manifolds

GeordieRob
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by GeordieRob » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome :)

It has a Weber DGMS on it at present, also has SS manifolds. The previous owner had it for 11 years and clearly loved it. They spent a fair bit on new parts, new starter motor, fuel pump, water pump as well as reconditioned C3 autobox. In the auction blurb I have it also reckons the letter code on the cylinder heads suggest it's suitable for unleaded fuel though I'm not sure I'll bother risking it given the price of additive.

Given the state of the plugs I'm probably lucky it's starting at all to be honest, got some some new ones en route, I should have got round to it but just haven't had time up to now. I do expect the carb will need adjusting, but it's up for its MOT soon so I may leave that to the garage to tinker with.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by Old and Slow » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:34 pm

Welcome to the house of fun.
IMO it's good if you start a thread specific to the car for all the queries etc, and we like photographs too.
Good luck, and happy motoring.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by rjudcsx » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:01 pm

I had the same engine issues when I purchased my 5a, it to had been "asleep" for quite a while with the owner starting it and just letting it tick over until warm then switching off , this led to the plugs and other things getting gunged up . As soon as I began to use it a bit improvements became apparent in all areas , coupled with a basic once over [ plugs , points ,oil/filter get the right one from AJL , grease ect ] You say you are going to let the garage tinker with the Weber , are you happy with the garages knowledge in this area ? O , by the way , welcome . Richard .

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by adamwilkes » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:25 pm

welcome Rob, looking forward to photos of your new Scimitar :D

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

guybetts
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by guybetts » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi Rob. Welcome to GTC ownership :D
The first thing to check with Scimitar electrics is the earths. Usually, it is earthing which is the problem even though it can manifest as a range of differing effects. Get yourself a copy of the colour wiring diagram off this site - I find it invaluable.

Guy

P.S. I'll send a pm concerning the GTC register
Last edited by guybetts on Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTC Registrar

1966 Straight Six Coupe, 1981 GTC
Previous: SS1 1300 (C230 EPP) & 18ti (D993 WRX)

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by DARK STAR » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:35 am

Welcome Rob
Keep us posted on progress :)

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN
On the road I don't drive fast, but I don't slow down for corners
In competition I drive very fast, but not always on the track ...

GeordieRob
RSSOC Member

New GTC owner

Post by GeordieRob » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:07 pm

Once again, many thanks for the warm welcome and advice :) . When I get a mo I will start a thread on the car in the GTC section and when the weather (and my memory) permits I will get the camera out and post some photos there. I have pm'd you back Guy.

Return to “Introductions”