Hello All - Newbie Hobby Mechanic, One-day Scim Owner

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

PrincessAnneHadOne

Post by PrincessAnneHadOne » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd post here at last. Have been reading on and off for a long time and meant to sign up sooner. Just about to buy a house with a garage and so finally can begin the ambition...

...which would be to restore an old Scimitar and undertake the Saab B204 conversion as a few have already done. Having taken part in a Saab/Vauxhall conversion I'm hungry for more, and the Scimitar seems just so perfect - as does the idea of saving one from the brink. Vauxhall conversion I can just about get my head around. Scimitar conversion however, so so many questions and so much to think about! Lol.

Hobby mechanic but maintain my own cars and enjoy a tinker. What I don't have in skills I can make up for in time at least! Will inevitably be a creeping project of years.

Looking forward to lurking around and learning and documenting any upcoming purchases and projects and of course pestering for advice as I go.

Thank you all for having me!!

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Post by rjudcsx » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:02 pm

Welcome to the Asylum . Regards Richard .

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:11 pm

Not the first B2x4 conversion to a Scimitar, but look forward to reading the trials and tribulations as whilst there have been some other well documented conversions, this is one that's out there but not necessarily scribed in all of its gory detail. Dropping an engine in a chassis is only part of the story :D

Welcome to the madhouse (from a previous GTE Vauxhall converter, and now grafting a Mazda lump into a Small Sports)!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Welcome.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Post by TrevorG » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi, and welcome to the madhouse. My Saab enthusiast garage owning mate tells me that Saab parts are becoming expensive (he has an rx8 conversion), might be worth checking out prior to deciding :roll:

PrincessAnneHadOne

Post by PrincessAnneHadOne » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:54 pm

rjudcsx wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:02 pm
Welcome to the Asylum . Regards Richard .
Thanks! Asylum means I belong...
philhoward wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:11 pm
Not the first B2x4 conversion to a Scimitar, but look forward to reading the trials and tribulations as whilst there have been some other well documented conversions, this is one that's out there but not necessarily scribed in all of its gory detail. Dropping an engine in a chassis is only part of the story :D

Welcome to the madhouse (from a previous GTE Vauxhall converter, and now grafting a Mazda lump into a Small Sports)!
Thanks! And oh boy yes indeed. Mounting the engine, box and prop I have my head around. As well as Saab wiring. I think. I don't have in mind things like windscreen wipers still working, what dash to use, hydraulic clutch conversion (probably will use Omega box) etc. Much much pondering still. You have a link or writeup to your GTE conversion? I'd love to see it if so! :)
scimjim wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:17 pm
Welcome.
Thank you!
TrevorG wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:38 pm
Hi, and welcome to the madhouse. My Saab enthusiast garage owning mate tells me that Saab parts are becoming expensive (he has an rx8 conversion), might be worth checking out prior to deciding :roll:
Hmmm, will do yes, thanks. I have a B204 available at least currently which is earmarked. House purchase (hopefully) to finish and then garage extension to start but with any luck I'll have a place and a donor car by Christmas.

Then buy a Scim, get chassis restored somewhere or patched up myself and I'll start fumbling through it.

It might not be pretty at the start or smooth going but we'll at least save a Scimitar, make it faster and there'll be photos.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:11 pm

PrincessAnneHadOne wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:54 pm
You have a link or writeup to your GTE conversion? I'd love to see it if so!
In my signature: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9498

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:29 pm

Welcome, and lots of photos are also welcome :D We love following explorations in Scimitar engineering.

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

PrincessAnneHadOne

Post by PrincessAnneHadOne » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:05 am

adamwilkes wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:29 pm
Welcome, and lots of photos are also welcome :D We love following explorations in Scimitar engineering.
Oh boy that's optimism. I'm glad we're already calling what I'll get up to an "exploration in Scimitar engineering" rather than "a n00b takes four years to learn how to fiberglass".

Thank you very much for that, and to everyone as well. Stage 1 of project (buy house with garage) is underway. Have been reading and watching much, looking forward to getting stuck in.

Return to “Introductions”