Hi all!

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

surfer91919

Hi all!

Post by surfer91919 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:57 am

Just a quick intro really, looks like a great forum and resource.

I'm Charlie and I live in Wales. I'm 31 and have no experience of reliant scimitars as yet but have money ready to buy one when the right one comes along. I have a lot of interests from music to surfing, cycling etc, have worked variously as a welder and boat builder (GRP skills might come in handy now). Cars wise my first car was a ford capri laser which I spent a year restoring before passing my driving test, prior to that i rode motorbikes around the fields and moorland as a kid and tinkered and rebuilt lots of old hondas which taught me a lot about mechanics generally. My Capri is still on the road over a decade later and it is the reason I'm here as the scimitar for me seems like the best compromise with similar styling but with the benefit of being an estate and not suffering from unending external panel corrosion. Truthfully I really love the way the scimitar looks in its own right now and can't wait to get one. I currently drive a mercedes C250 TD which I've been running on recycled veg oil for about 10 years, so diesel engines also became an interest... and dealing with outer panel corrosion / paint problems on this is another reason I want to join the scimitar fold. Thanks for letting me join :)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Hi all!

Post by scimjim » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:24 am

Welcome :D

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Hi all!

Post by philhoward » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:45 am

Welcome from a former C250TD owner 8) :D

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Hi all!

Post by rjudcsx » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Welcome Charlie , hope you find a Scim soon . What type are you looking for and have you sat in one or driven one yet ? Regards Richard .

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Hi all!

Post by rjudcsx » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:05 pm

Sorry , just seen your post in wanted . Richard .

surfer91919

Hi all!

Post by surfer91919 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:30 pm

rjudcsx wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:02 pm
Welcome Charlie , hope you find a Scim soon . What type are you looking for and have you sat in one or driven one yet ? Regards Richard .
Hi Richard, me too, not felt this excited in years!
From research over the last few weeks I think I want an SE6 which is already tax exempt or close to. I prefer the SE5 look but could do with the extra space in an SE6 as I'm fairly tall and wide and need a practical daily car too... definitely a black interior with the vinyl seats and with a reasonable equipment spec although a black interior with cloth seats would be fine as I could fit some other seats (MR2 maybe) in place. Condition wise I'd like the interior to be reasonable good, electrical system broadly functional, not fussed about paint work, chassis can't be too bad- happy to weld up outriggers and other in situ bits but I've got no desire to be taking the body off the chassis really or dealing with a widely encrusted chassis. It either needs to be able to drive home to wales or be a complete rolling shell minus the engine/gbox which I can trailer with my C250TD.

I've not driven one or sat in one but as long as I fit (6'2 and about 15 stone), I'm not too fussy and usually grow to like cars. I remember really liking my capri- the low chilled out seating position looking down the bonnet which I guess is a 70s sports car thing which I miss and the very positive steering feel. However I've written off the idea of a capri as I've been there and done it , theyre too expensive now and its a constant battle with outer panel corrosion/ paint bubbles and as such they can't be used as a daily, at least not longer term.
Any things to research or consider please let me know!

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Hi all!

Post by rjudcsx » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:51 pm

Recently a friend bought a 5a unseen , [ see the post BAP . ] Once delivered he found it quite uncomfortable to drive , due to his size , the narrow foot area and the possible addition of mr2 seats , he bought some early XJS seats but by this time his enthusiasm had gone and he sold the car [ He is used to driving a Rolls Royce each day , so that may have some bearing on his view point :) . I remember him commenting that he wished he had gone for a 6 / 6a due to the extra width . Why not contact Mark , I think he posts under gtcv8 , he may have some thing . Regards Richard .

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Hi all!

Post by rjudcsx » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:54 pm

Correction , gtcse8 , sorry ,Richard .

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Hi all!

Post by scimjim » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:04 pm

A black vinyl interior is rare in the 6/8 series (I’m not sure I’ve seen one in 30 odd years and don’t think it was a listed option) - they’re generally blue or brown in fabric (later cars are much better fabric than the early ones IMHO) or blue, brown, black in leather.

As far as equipment spec goes, it’s E/W (I always convert to manual as they’re not very good after 40 years or so), E/M (very rare on earlier cars and just rare on later cars) and PAS or not (personally I don’t like the Scimitars PAS, finding it over sensitive, unreliable and providing little feedback).

I’m also 6’2” and 15 stone and drive my SE5 regularly but the 6/8 series definitely has more room.

Also former E300TD saloon, C270CDI estate, ML270CDI, E220CDI estate, current C220CDI estate 😎

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Hi all!

Post by TrevorG » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi Charlie, welcome to the mad mad scimitar world. Whereabouts are you in God's country? I'm down at the best surfing bit! Near Tenby, but people can often find me at freshwest with all my mad dogs. If you are close, drop in....my 6a is being stripped of paint at the moment, but interior has been finished as well as all mechanicals, so you can at least try for size....sit in it and go 'broom broom' , not that I ever do of course. 🤔

rkclodhopper
RSSOC Member

Hi all!

Post by rkclodhopper » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Hello Surfer
Welcome. In some ways it is better to wait for the best car mechanically you can find regardless of interior/exterior colour, manual, auto and all the other other options otherwise you could be looking for a long while or end up with the options you would like and a load of work and expense to get it reliable.
All 5's and 5a's came without power steering while the majority of 6 and 6a's did have PAS, just a few didn' but they seem rare.

Another Richard

surfer91919

Hi all!

Post by surfer91919 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:29 pm

TrevorG wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:05 pm
Hi Charlie, welcome to the mad mad scimitar world. Whereabouts are you in God's country? I'm down at the best surfing bit! Near Tenby, but people can often find me at freshwest with all my mad dogs. If you are close, drop in....my 6a is being stripped of paint at the moment, but interior has been finished as well as all mechanicals, so you can at least try for size....sit in it and go 'broom broom' , not that I ever do of course. 🤔

Hi Trevor, I'm up near Fishguard but tenby is only about 45-50 mins. I'd like to take you up on your offer for sure! Didn't think there'd be one locally to have a look around to get my bearings. Please drop me a PM and we'll swap mobile numbers or something and arrange a socially distanced meet :)

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Hi all!

Post by TrevorG » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:58 pm

PM sent Charlie

Return to “Introductions”