Johnno's '72 Green SE5a

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Cartrain
RSSOC Member

New Member - Ireland

Post by Cartrain » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:36 am

Would be extremely unlucky to get something rattling around the bore, but that’s probably what it is.

Sure, don’t run the engine if you feel you shouldn’t. You are the one who can hear what’s going on, not us.

But some engine surgery seems on the cards.

Johnno

New Member - Ireland

Post by Johnno » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:06 am

Thanks all, really appreciate all the responses.

I'll contact the PO and see if he has any knowledge of an unleaded conversion ever taking place.
I've also ordered an Endoscope online, with a magnetic attachment, once it arrives, i'll do some investigation

1972 Wessex Green SE5a

Johnno

New Member - Ireland

Post by Johnno » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Got in touch with the previous owner, when he purchased the seller provided a few bottles of additives which I guess rules out any unleaded conversion ever taking place.

1972 Wessex Green SE5a

philhoward
RSSOC Member

New Member - Ireland

Post by philhoward » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 pm

If it’s happening every revolution (as Old and Slow reckons) then it’s crank/piston related rather than valve gear. That would rule out valve seat, pushrods, tappets and the fuel pump/cam.

If that’s the case, can you hear/feel anything if you turn the engine by hand (socket on the crank pulley bolt) - plugs out makes life easier?

Diagnosis over the internet can be tricky..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Johnno

New Member - Ireland

Post by Johnno » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:05 pm

Thanks Phil - I'll have a go at turning it this evening and update if I hear or feel anything.
philhoward wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 pm
Diagnosis over the internet can be tricky.
Indeed - especially when the person providing the information on the problem is as in over his head as he can be!! :)

1972 Wessex Green SE5a

Cartrain
RSSOC Member

New Member - Ireland

Post by Cartrain » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:24 pm

A process of elimination. Which bank ? Both banks ? Neither. Top end or lower end.

I’m sure you will get to the bottom of it and be soon enjoying your scimotoring.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

New Member - Ireland

Post by philhoward » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Johnno wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:05 pm
Thanks Phil - I'll have a go at turning it this evening and update if I hear or feel anything.
When you do it, try and keep a mental note where you are in the cycle - timing mark on the front pulley can get TDC (of No.1 and No.5); 120 degrees after this is TDC for the next pair of pistons, and a further 120 degrees being for the last pair at TDC. Might help, might not - but every bit of information helps. You'll probably need to get 2 complete revolutions anyway, so the valve gear (although it's not looking related to that) has gone through a complete cycle anyway.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

rebel alliance

New Member - Ireland

Post by rebel alliance » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:35 pm

There is more then one knocking noise if you listen carefully...one sounds like something in a cylinder the other a bit like big end knock....This service it had i assume the air cleaner was opened at some point , So the owner never noticed the noise until after the service and made a point of telling you ?

Cartrain
RSSOC Member

New Member - Ireland

Post by Cartrain » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:36 pm

philhoward wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:30 pm
Johnno wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:05 pm
When you do it, try and keep a mental note where you are in the cycle - timing mark on the front pulley can get TDC (of No.1 and No.5); 120 degrees after this is TDC for the next pair of pistons, and a further 120 degrees being for the last pair at TDC. Might help, might not - but every bit of information helps. You'll probably need to get 2 complete revolutions anyway, so the valve gear (although it's not looking related to that) has gone through a complete cycle anyway.
If you are hand cranking the engine slowly it might not be sufficient to hear anything. It might need to be run up on idle for something to reveal itself.
Really hope though, that I am wrong.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

New Member - Ireland

Post by philhoward » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 pm

Maybe not, but worth a try.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

Scim8tar

New Member - Ireland

Post by Scim8tar » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:57 pm

Seen as you are removing the rocker cover's and starting with a top end check, it would be easier for you to remove the dizzy cap and turn the engine by hand until the points open, check what terminal the rotor arm is pointing to, follow that plug lead to it's cylinder, both valves should be closed and the rockers should have only a small clearance, turn the engine until the points open again and follow the next plug lead and so on.

Paul

Cartrain
RSSOC Member

New Member - Ireland

Post by Cartrain » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:02 pm

philhoward wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 pm
Maybe not, but worth a try.
Definitely worth a try...with plugs out and a magnetic probe you might get lucky and fish out a foreign body.

Johnno

New Member - Ireland

Post by Johnno » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:11 pm

rebel alliance wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:35 pm
There is more then one knocking noise if you listen carefully...one sounds like something in a cylinder the other a bit like big end knock....This service it had i assume the air cleaner was opened at some point , So the owner never noticed the noise until after the service and made a point of telling you ?
I suspect your correct - the noise I was told about, which has since become much more audible, has a duller sound, and appears constant. The owner didn't say it only appeared after the service..
The 2nd knock, slightly higher pitch, heard intermittently in the video but runs for a second right at the end. I could be completely wrong, its this one that sounds more sinister to me - not that I like either of them.

1972 Wessex Green SE5a

Johnno

New Member - Ireland

Post by Johnno » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:40 pm

My Endoscope arrived today so will I'll have a look tonight to see if there's anything foreign in any of the cylinders.

In the meantime, I noticed yesterday that the Brake fluid reservoir emptied itself all of a sudden. No trace of any leak at the reservoir itself, but I discovered this..
fluid-leak-at-pedal.jpg
fluid-leak-at-pedal.jpg (302.03 KiB) Viewed 37 times
From searching here on the forum, the suggestions are a new master cylinder?

Also - starting to feel that this thread will get moved to the Project progress section :roll:

1972 Wessex Green SE5a

philhoward
RSSOC Member

New Member - Ireland

Post by philhoward » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:43 pm

Yep - that's a master cylinder failure right there.

You might get away with a new seal kit but only if the bore is virtually pristine and you won't know that until it's in pieces on the bench.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

Return to “Project Progress”