Potential owner

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Potential owner

Post by philhoward » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:32 pm

James,

Being in Doncaster, you’re not a million miles from either Mark Wilson (gtcse8) who has some Scimitars to move on quite quickly, or Dave Speed (speedy555) - serial Scimitar painter - who seems to struggle to let a month go by without another Scimitar crossing his path as well as being the SE5 registrar ;)

We don’t prejudice against non-members in the slightest but for some reason 8) a lot of cars charge hands between members with an advert never being placed, and hope that those new to the world of Scimitars see membership as a “good investment”.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Potential owner

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:20 am

James ,I know its a bit over your budget proposal but have a look at Raz s 5a that went up for sale tonight on this site , in my view point a very good buy in the present limited market , I appreciate its not an auto but worth a look . Sell the Wolfs and rear load cover and you are quids in Regards RICHARD .

veganight

Potential owner

Post by veganight » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Pah, I have been at work this morning and just seen it is sold pending collection. Unfortunately once transport cost etc included would have still been over my limit.

Richard/Phil thank you both for your help with this and is certainly helping me progress it really is appreciated.

Phil - If it is membership that potentially holds the key to the door to ownership, It would be folly of me to overlook.

Regards, James

Crowther

Potential owner

Post by Crowther » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:59 pm

Hi James,

My 1972 5a is for sale. It's a manual and it's over your budget but it's relatively local (near Pocklington) and, on a good day, it won't need a transporter!
It was in regular use before lockdown but it had developed some rough running issues when hot which I haven't got to the bottom of yet.

The good:
  • It's a manual SE5a with overdrive and a sweet-sounding Essex V6!
  • Tax and MOT exempt but MOT'd anyway
  • Driven regularly during my tenure but not when the roads have been salted.
  • Chassis is solid including outriggers - recently waxoyled.
  • New stainless steel nose support
  • Alloy timing gear fitted by a professional.
  • New 38DGAS fitted - auto-choke works and the car starts like a modern.
  • Cooling system updated with stainless cooling pipes and silicone hoses.
  • No overheating problems.
  • Magnecor HT leads.
  • Aldon Ignitor electronic ignition plus Flamethrower coil. Eureka wire has been bypassed (easily reversible).
  • Various rubber seals replaced including tailgate and front door frame seals.
  • New clutch and slave cylinder fitted professionally.
  • Revolution alloy wheels.
  • New stainless fuel tank
The bad:
  • Paintwork isn't good, especially on the bonnet and the offside rear quarter.
  • Some water ingress in the front which hasn't done the carpets any favours.
  • Door cards are a bit tatty.
  • Gear stick rattles.

New and proud owner of "Scimba" ('72 SE5a).
Learning slowly and driving quickly...

rebel alliance

Potential owner

Post by rebel alliance » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:20 pm

I see your budget is £1,000 how much were you going to budget regards total project costs ?

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Potential owner

Post by philhoward » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:23 pm

veganight wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:51 pm
Phil - If it is membership that potentially holds the key to the door to ownership, It would be folly of me to overlook.
I’m not going to be so pretentious to say it holds the key but may well open more doors :wink:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

veganight

Potential owner

Post by veganight » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks Crowther - Are you happy for me to drop you a PM with regards an indication of what you are looking for?

Rebel - I am looking at around a further £1000 to invest however, I am under no illusion that this could easily surpass that amount, again, depending on the condition of the base vehicle purchased.

People may say why not invest the money into a car that doesn't require as much work. Utopia is to have a project car to work on and learn about not buy one that is almost complete, however may be swayed if the right example comes across.

Thanks all and hope this helps

James

rebel alliance

Potential owner

Post by rebel alliance » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:20 pm

I feared you may not be fully aware of the cost of even basic parts that a sub grand car will need. If you doubled you purchase budget you could indeed halve your remaining costs in my opinion

veganight

Potential owner

Post by veganight » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:28 pm

Thanks Rebel, Makes me feel more confident and appreciate the help and as we know, These things can easily run away with us.

I am by no means fully aware of costs, In fact far from it, however have given myself the same amount to give me a fighting chance.

Thanks again

James

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Potential owner

Post by adamwilkes » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:21 pm

veganight wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:28 pm
I am by no means fully aware of costs, In fact far from it, however have given myself the same amount to give me a fighting chance.
My progress to date on my 27-years-stored in a dry garage £450 SE5a car can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43138 - not yet on the road and I still have most of the interior to rebuild, plus it needs a complete paint job. My parts-only bill so far is £2300.

You've got to have a hobby :wink:

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

veganight

Potential owner

Post by veganight » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:38 pm

Gulp.....Thanks Adam :?

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Potential owner

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:22 pm

When I decided to buy a 5a again I had a conflicting argument in my head for some time which went back and forwards , buy one and do a total rebuild or buy one that needs a bit of work . The first premis meant that I would face a car that had not only sucomed to the passing of time but probably , not always, been messed about and bodged up [ due to the simplicity and price they did have a "dark period " ] I can assure you there is nothing worse than facing other peoples " improvements " ,see a thread on this site re one talented members galant fight with a 5a 4 speed that turned out to be a automatic [ cannot remember members name ] I to had to dial in budget issues and in all honesty it became quickly apparent that I had severly under estimated the basic cost of items ,not even thinking about the bits that only come up for sale now and again. So , I went down the second road ,waiting for the right one ,this in itself raised issues as I waited ,I saw the prices of my type of car creep up , I realised that to get what I required would mean travelling some distance if an opportunity arose . Bearing in mind that I also had to face the fact that at 64 my Trunnions have seen better days , BUT one turned up eventually [ please see Wake Up Sully ] This is meant to be a tale of reality and hope , not to put you off what I have found to be a very rewarding hobby and opening the door to many nice people . HORSES for COURSES . Regards Richard .

rebel alliance

Potential owner

Post by rebel alliance » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:31 pm

These last two posts sum it up for me buy cheap and it may still cost £4000 to £5000 to get where you want ..this cost me £4,500 needing no work
20180908_141650~2.jpg
20180908_141650~2.jpg (160.45 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Last edited by rebel alliance on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

veganight

Potential owner

Post by veganight » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:43 pm

Thanks Richard, Rebel

As described, experiencing the same emotion of ‘back and forth’ and I love the idea of simplicity and in my option, how it should be.
No black boxes and even further into the unknown.
Rightly or wrongly, I like the period of ‘bolt on, Bolt off’ and I’m sure many will shoot me down and quick to tell me this isn’t the case.

Nevertheless, with the abilities I believe I have, This is within my capabilities, regardless, to a degree, of overall cost!

I believe, This is what it’s all about in terms of restoration and for me, a project where I can learn.

James

rebel alliance

Potential owner

Post by rebel alliance » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:57 pm

Turd coloured one on facebook marketplace mot and looks complete webasto roof needs checking...offer him £1,500 settle on £2,000 thats all your budget 😀

Return to “Introductions”