New Member Lincs

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

New Member Lincs

Post by rjudcsx » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:46 pm

Hello ,just come back to the fold after a very long time away [1980s].Name is Richard and I live in Chapel St Leonards nr good old Skeggy. After a long time fighting myself I decided to take the plunge and buy a Scimitar again ; the time was right [ semi retired ,Scim prices going up , the wifes life membership of QVC ect]. I had kept an eye on the regular sites , and I found one that meet my list of preferances .A 1974 se 5a man /od SUL 139N in White with Black int . It appears to have been left dormant for some time following ,on initial inspection, some major work. [Respray ,stainless parts, engine work,rear axel work, Spax all around ,new rubbers etc etc] Due to a period of slumber prior to my purchase I am in the process of appraisal ,which has been a pleasant journey to date. Most telling issues to date are that the delivery man broke the gear stick [I know, I could not beleve it ]and I am having some difficulties sourcing a good secondhand one at a price commensurate with the pocket money I get ! Also she can be a devil to start [ man choke Weber conv] I have tried different combinations of choke no pumping ,choke and a couple of pumps engine spins then when I release key it will some times fire up and run very well [new pet has been put in tank ] ,must look at the electrics it has some form of immob fitted . The journey continues , sorry for the rambling first post Richard.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

New Member Lincs

Post by scimjim » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:54 pm

Welcome :D

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

IanC
RSSOC Member

New Member Lincs

Post by IanC » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi Richard,

There's a SE5a gearlever for sale in the Facebook 'Reliant Scimitar Parts Group'

Cheers, Ian
Last edited by IanC on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Current : SE5a 4spd auto , SS1 1.9CVH
Past: SE5, SE5a x 3, GTC x 3, SE6, SE6a

philhoward
RSSOC Member

New Member Lincs

Post by philhoward » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:01 pm

Welcome :D

Firing only when you release the key sounds like the ignition switch contact block; try not turning the hard over to the start position (just enough to engage the starter) and see if it’s any better. New contact blocks are available.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

New Member Lincs

Post by rjudcsx » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi IAN Thankyou for your response to my broken gear stick nightmare; I am not on FB however the photos on your link show a stick that might do the trick, however looking at my workshop manuel [Autobooks page 65 and page 67 ] I believe I need one from a later type box which is a hybrid of Ford gearing and Reliant casing /shift ? I would appreciate any guidance on this from others who are in the know. Thanks Richard.

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

New Member Lincs

Post by rjudcsx » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:49 pm

Thankyou Phil for the advice ,will have a go tomorrow .Any ideas re gear stick would be a real bonus Richard.

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

New Member Lincs

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:07 am

the one listed on face book is from a very early 5 gearbox, it won't fit if you have a remote gearlever which would be regarded as the later box. The scimitar dealers may have one I know GW had some secondhand ones but they might seem expensive to some. If you have a later box I will have a spare gear stick somewhere.

Geraint

Sabre ti ti, SST,se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

New Member Lincs

Post by rjudcsx » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:56 pm

Thank you , it is a late 5a [ Aug 1974 ]. I have contacted some traders ,however, they do not appear to have one on stock / stick list [GW did say they would have a look in the vaults for a s/hand one .Im to ring back in a week ] Therefore , if you can find one I would be over the moon .I have put a post on the 5 /5a site and members have been very helpful, apparently a common problem that some have solved by a sleeve /weld may have to go down that road if no other solution comes up in the next few weeks ,the car is SORN at present . Richard.

Return to “Introductions”