GavinR's Se5a Project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

GavinR
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by GavinR » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Gas using large Hobbyweld 5 bottles - I had a BOC account for many years but it was getting very expensive for the amount I used
Never tried gasless and I'm not planning too !

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

GavinR
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by GavinR » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:01 pm

HERO Challenge Three - 10th October 2020
HERO Challenge Three 2020 before Start.jpg
HERO Challenge Three 2020 before Start.jpg (181.96 KiB) Viewed 330 times
First a bit of background

HERO are the Historic Endurance Rally Organisation and are known for their endurance events such as the Rally of the Tests and Le Jog (Land’s End to John O’Groats), but in recent years have started running one day “Challenge” events to try and encourage newcomers to the sport, and to give more experience to crews wanting to compete on the bigger events. These events run under MSUK Historic Road Rally regulations so the same cars can compete as on the HRCR events.

With most events this year being cancelled due to COVID-19 and the Challenge Three being based an hour away in Taunton it seemed a good one to do as my first HERO event. Georgina Clark was navigating for the first time in 6 years which was handy as it meant we could run in the main field rather than with the Masters at the front!

There were 84 cars taking part with the cars in class and date order with the oldest at the front, including 9 pre-war cars. Our class was for Category 2 cars over 2000cc (1968 to 1974) and had 9 cars, comprising a Triumph Stag, 3 TR6’s, an MGC, a Porsche 914, a 911S, a Ferrari Dino 308GT4 and us in the Scimitar. This is important as on HERO events the Test Times only count against cars in your class, with the fastest car being given 0 seconds penalties, 2nd fastest 2s, 3rd fastest 4s, 4th fastest 5s, with 9th and slower getting 10s. And a wrong Test is scored as 30s.
This works well and allows the older cars to compete against the newer ones, and the Regularities have the same scoring as usual.

There was one Roadbook for the whole event and no maps were required although we did take some in case we got lost! The Roadbook had details of the Tests and the Regularities which were all run as Jogularities where you are given instructions such as Tulip Diagrams or just Turn Left and Turn Right with a distance for each instruction and a time to be there. There are also landmarks given (e.g. Foxlands Farm on left, Footpath sign on right) with times and the controls can be at any of these locations.
It all sounds simple and, like normal Regularities, it is simple enough when it works but mistakes can be very costly – as you are not following the route on a map you don’t always realise when you have gone wrong, or where you are!

We left Taunton at 9:30 for a 150 mile route comprising 7 Regularities and 8 Tests around Somerset and Exmoor National Park. The first Regularity was a few miles up the road and we started steadily, dropping 5s then 1s at the 2 controls. This brought us to Smeatharpe Airfield for the first 3 Tests. These were well laid out using the width of the main runways and plenty of room to throw the Scimitar around! Our penalties were all 0s – equal fastest with the Porsche 914 on the first one, equal fastest with one of the TR6’s on the second, and fastest on the third, so a very good start.

Back out on the road, Regularity 2 headed north towards Wellington over the Blackdown Hills – 3 controls this time and we dropped 0s, 2s then turned off slightly too early making us 17s early at the last control :roll: A brief stop in Wellington for fuel, then a drive north through some narrow lanes around Wiveliscombe to Regularity 3.
Another 3 controls and no mistakes this time we dropped 1s, 4s and 4s.
Then it was a short drive to an early lunch at Raleghs Cross Inn, a place that is very familiar to George and I from competing on and organising previous rallies.
Checking the results, we were 8th overall at this point but it was all very close and a long way to go…

Regularity 4 took us over Dunkery Beacon (with a lovely view across to Wales) and across Stoke Pero Common to Porlock. No problems here and roads we’ve rallied on for years so we knew what to expect – very narrow in places with steep hairpins, open over the beacon and common but no sign of any Exmoor ponies, just some Highland cattle spectating! And just 1s dropped at each of the 3 controls was very good.

Driving gently through Porlock brought us to the bottom of Porlock Toll Road for 2 more Tests, each about a mile long. The start marshal assured us it was not that slippery under the trees, but it always is so there was quite a lot of drifting around the corners on the way up the Tests :D We were beaten easily by the Porsche 914 on both but our times were good enough for 2nd quickest so just a few seconds to add to our penalties.

Regularity 5 started just over a mile before the top of the Toll Road. This allowed the organisers to put the first control at 1 mile (as we were on private land), followed by 2 controls farther apart over Porlock Common to Exford. Once again we were good on time with 5s dropped in total. A long road section took us via Winsford and Dulverton to a brief afternoon halt at Exebridge. As I turned into the car park I saw there was a lovely burgundy SE5a so I parked close by. The owner of the SE5a had come out to see the old cars and gave me some advice on painting Scimitars – he had done his by hand using rollers a few years ago and it looked a lot better than mine does!

Regularity 6 started at the exit of the car park – 4 controls in 12 miles and we dropped 8s in total, 5s of which was caused by me “day-dreaming” and not realising I was a bit behind the schedule! A further road section took us back to Smeatharpe for the final 3 Tests – these were the same as the first 3, just in the opposite direction. We were fastest in class on the first 2 but only second fastest on the last one, not helped by when I lost all gears at one point and couldn’t disengage the clutch. We stalled at the finish but got going by pumping the clutch (very similar to what happened on the Ross Traders back in Feb). After getting our time, we parked up for 10 minutes to let everything cool down as I thought the problem might be the clutch fluid overheating :?

Regularity 7 was the last one and the clutch felt better. We were very lucky here – having passed a couple of cars heading the other way (which we always try and ignore!) we turned into a junction to be confronted by a herd of cows crossing the road. There was a control there and the marshal gave us a time and as he did so the last cow crossed the road so we could continue. The previous cars had got there earlier and gone back around a loop to bypass the hold up. We dropped 8s in total and had a short drive back to the finish in Taunton for an evening meal.

After catching up with some other crews we knew, we checked the results and were very pleased to see we had finished 5th Overall and 1st in Class :D
The detailed results showed we were 2nd fastest on the combined Test times (taking our actual times, not the class penalties) and 7th on the Regularities, and only 1s behind 4th overall.
We even won the Best Newcomer award which is presented to the crew doing the best on their first HERO event!

A very enjoyable day and we’ll look at doing some more HERO Challenge events next year. Many thanks to George for a great job navigating.

Unfortunately this will be my last outing this year - I had an event planned for this Saturday in Derbyshire / South Yorkshire, but due to the ongoing restrictions, the organisers have cancelled the event this morning, a sensible move in the current climate.

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

philhoward
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by philhoward » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:11 pm

Great result, Gavin and Georgina! 8)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by chrisgallacher » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 pm

Well done Gavin and Georgina!

Your results show consistently how competitive a well-driven and well-navigated Scimitar can be, even up against the best. Cracking :D

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by Old and Slow » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Brilliant result..
Good write-up too.
Well done.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by rjudcsx » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Well done Gavin and Georgina , nice to hear about an old Scimitar giving those Porkers a thrashing . Did you find out what went wrong with the clutch/gear change ? Are you still running a red plastic pipe from master to slave ? Regards Richard .

MikeyBikey

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by MikeyBikey » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:15 am

Great result and loved the write up.

Is we sideways yet...

GavinR
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by GavinR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:09 am

rjudcsx wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:15 pm
Well done Gavin and Georgina , nice to hear about an old Scimitar giving those Porkers a thrashing . Did you find out what went wrong with the clutch/gear change ? Are you still running a red plastic pipe from master to slave ? Regards Richard .
Hi Richard,
It's a stainless steel braided hose - the fluid in the reservoir was very dark so I've flushed it through with some fresh brake fluid and will go for a drive over the weekend to see if it has improved
Over the winter I will change how the hose is routed to keep it further away from the engine block in case that is where the heat is coming from
I'm also planning to change the synchros in the gearbox as 3rd to 2nd was getting particularly difficult
Thanks
Gavin

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

GavinR
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by GavinR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:55 pm

Some pictures from the weekend, courtesy of Tony Large

Smeatharpe
Tony Large HC3 001.jpg
Tony Large HC3 001.jpg (133.12 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Smeatharpe
Tony Large HC3 002.jpg
Tony Large HC3 002.jpg (132.7 KiB) Viewed 158 times
A ford near Cloutsham on the Stoke Pero section
Tony Large HC3 003.jpg
Tony Large HC3 003.jpg (221.87 KiB) Viewed 158 times

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by rjudcsx » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 am

I like the last one , going thru the ford . Looks a bit like the Lotus Esprit coming out of the sea in that James Bond film :shock: If it was mine it would be my new screen saver . Richard .

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by adamwilkes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:55 am

rjudcsx wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 am
If it was mine it would be my new screen saver .
That is an exceptional photo 8)

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

GavinR's Se5a Project

Post by efi_sprintgte » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:44 am

8) 8) Well done Gavin

JC

Return to “Project Progress”