'74 SE5a rolling resto

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

frodo_monkey

'74 SE5a rolling resto

Post by frodo_monkey » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:05 am

Some of you may recall that a while back there was a free SE5a advertised on the Practical Classics forum... Well, after much to-ing, fro-ing and a few changes of heart, that car is mine!

It's a 1974 SE5a, reg no HYR 287N (engine/chassis no. will be sent to the Register when I get around to it), in a lovely shade of mustardy yellow with a mouldy black interior (that should clean up). Doesn't start currently as it had a small underbonnet fire (fibreglass OK though) and has no battery, and the brakes are pretty seized. Paintwork a bit dull and scratched, and some ar*e has keyed it, but a blowover will have it looking lovely!

This is going to be a rolling resto for the road, so my first task is to unseize the brakes and replace discs/pads/fluid/shoes (maybe having a look at the MC/pipes at the same time). The previous owner is kindly sending me some new shoes and also some polybushes, so while I'm underneath I'll also remove the suspension components, burn out the old bushes and replace - while the bushes are out I'll probably derust the wishbones etc, paint in POR-15 and then replace balljoints, TREs etc.

Next up will be the electrics, cleaning up/tidying up the interior and possibly replacing the fuel tank as it looks like it is pretty much dead. At the same time, a full service underbonnet should have her up and running. I am moving to northern Scotland in November so need the car ideally starting/running/rolling by then. After that the pace will cool off a little over winter, although I do have a big hangar to keep the car in. I want it on the road for early spring so I can concentrate on the next project - a Reliant Kitten I have squirrelled away that I am going to build a spaceframe chassis for and turn into a screaming race car!

Pics to follow when I get them off my phone :D

frodo_monkey

Re: '74 SE5a rolling resto

Post by frodo_monkey » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:49 am

Pics as promised:

Not bad for free I think! 8)

Gelcoat

Post by Gelcoat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:26 am

Well done that man :D

1983 6B
"Looks like im walking to Curbs, then the wife said she"d come with me ......ooo the pain....

franko14

Post by franko14 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:49 am

good score!!! looks like it needs a bit of effort put into the old girl, but all in all a terrific peice of business

happy restoring, looking forward to your resto threat and seeing the progress

cheers,
Frank

Se6a GTE Auto 3702
'88 Saab 900 Turbo S

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:45 am

Nice one!

Jim

Membership No. 1779

MickP

Post by MickP » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Good to see yet another rolling restoration - best of luck, will be watching with interest.

Michael.

SOLD: 1978 SE6a Auto.
1997 Ducati 900SS - Last carb. model.
SOLD: 1960 BSA Bantam D7 - more "fun" than the Ducati.
1998 Honda CG125 - great in slow traffic.
1981 Suzuki SB200 2-stroke twin - undergoing rebuild.
Gallery Project
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.” - Aldous Huxley.

frodo_monkey

Post by frodo_monkey » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:58 pm

First bits bought: a Varta B34 battery, some oil and a filter from Halfords (the shame, but I was passing and have a trade card), and a set of Wolfies with new tyres (for £90 from another forum). Waiting for payday, then I'll get the brake bits ordered. I should be able to make some progress finally after next weekend - I am selling my TVR Griffith first and doing some work on my house, then a bit of work on my race car (Rover 216GTi), then it's full steam ahead with the Scimitar :D

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Frodo,
I hope you enjoy your new hearse/breadvan :lol:

As a bit of inspiration for you ('cos I know what you're like!) :twisted: :

Jonathan Allatt

Jonh & Steve Louch

Big Bob (driven by Ben Gough, owned by Iain Daniels)

Tango5 (no longer owned by Paul Turnbull)

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:36 pm

I've noticed a theme with the sprinting GTE's...stripes!! OK, the expection is the ex-Turnbull "Tango", but you can't miss that one...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

frodo_monkey

Post by frodo_monkey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:35 pm

Raz987 wrote:Frodo,

Jonathan Allatt

Jonh & Steve Louch

Big Bob (driven by Ben Gough, owned by Iain Daniels)

Tango5 (no longer owned by Paul Turnbull)
No! Don't tempt me... The Kitten is the race project, this is for a weekend smoker ;)

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:52 pm

frodo_monkey wrote:
Raz987 wrote:Frodo,

No! Don't tempt me... The Kitten is the race project, this is for a weekend smoker ;)
if the bread van isnt to be competed in (and lets face it who'd be daft enough to :lol: :w) , and the kitten is to be raced (even more unlikely competition car imho)
then i have some inspiration for you....
!BsTOTVwCWk~$(KGrHqUOKiMEvOzEPGPwBL3ZDejw6g~~_12.jpg
!BsTP07!EGk~$(KGrHqIOKkIEvOEh1-4hBL3ZGtNV3!~~_12.jpg
!BsTOzRQEGk~$(KGrHqEOKjUEvYWm7I-NBL3ZEkt6Ng~~_12.jpg

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

frodo_monkey

Post by frodo_monkey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Though I'm thinking Duratec rather than 4.6(?)L V8 that I think that one has. I saw it advertised both on eBay and Pistonheads recently, and it was all I could do not to run down to the bank and grab a loan :oops:

Do you know who owns/drives it, as it would be interesting to learn more.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:06 pm

it was bought by a guy from scotland that sprints/hills recently (ebay iirc) and he ran it for a few events. Was re-advertised without huge rear wing and i suspect couple of other bits, and was re-advertised.

Sorry dont know anything more but from what i remember of the old ebay ad from a few months ago, it was a spaceframe with no reliant bits in it

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

frodo_monkey

Post by frodo_monkey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:22 am

Well at last progress is happening! Got paid yesterday so ordered the following:
  • Plugs/leads/dizzy cap/rotor arm/coil
  • Discs and pads
  • Coil
  • POR15 and some Deox-C etc from Bilthamber
  • Bid on a header tank on eBay (mine is cracked)
  • And I pick up some Wolfies with new tyres at the weekend
Started doing some work yesterday too - first thing was to get the front end in the air, take the wheels off and unseize the brakes. It was easy enough to diagnose; the pads were down to the metal and had corroded onto the discs. After removing the pad retaining pins, soaking them in WD40 and beating seven shades out of the pads with a hammer and screwdriver, I was able to remove them and free off the wheels. I think for peace of mind that I will probably send the calipers off to BiggRed to get refurbed, and maybe buy a new master cylinder at the same time because it looks rather secondhand (but I might try it in some DeoxC first).

I then had a cursory look at the chassis, and although generally very solid (it passed the screwdriver test) the very front square section of the outriggers on both sides turned to powder - looks like I'll be firing up the welder then!

But all in all, its actually in pretty reasonable nick. Just need my battery to arrive now so I can get her fired up (or find out why she won't!).

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 am

those front outriggers catch everything thrown up by the wheels - they probably lasted 30 years though :D

make sure the new ones are well protected.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Project Progress”