Scimitar SE6a Restoration - Head Gasket

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Gillsfan

Re: Scimitar SE6a Restoration - Ohh DEER its nearly fixed

Post by Gillsfan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:57 pm

I think if Gillsfan is reading this he will agree that its some a terribly long process getting down to this stage :lol: I'm just glad I'm not doing it...
I couldn't agree more

Steve

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about

1969 SE 5 Manual O/D Rat Rod
RSSOC Jaffa cakes in a minute champion

Terry H

Re: Scimitar SE6a Restoration - Ohh DEER its Nearly Fixed

Post by Terry H » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:18 pm

Ah, didn't realise you were having a vinyl roof. I would be interested in hearing more about this vinyl roof as it's something I would like on my crappy celtic Brown tatty old thing. You used to be able to get vinyl roof kits back in the 70's. I fitted one on a Ford Corsar I had at the time. Those were the day's.
Regards Terry H

Tony Jones

Re: Scimitar SE6a Restoration - Ohh DEER its Nearly Fixed

Post by Tony Jones » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:12 am

I've just read the full topic. It was certainly looking very good indeed and coming along nicely just before the accident. I'm sorry to hear about it but, that will be another thing done that won't have to be touched for a very long time, she'll long 100% that way. Not a nice thing to happen but she's getting treated right and been made better. :wink: 8) 8)

1978 Se6a "Mamba"
1975 SE5a "Kato"
1969 SE5

1969 S2a Airportable Land Rover

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Re: Scimitar SE6a Restoration - Ohh DEER its Nearly Painted

Post by JoeySully » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:07 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Tony :), Terry I will be adding some info on how I do the roof in due time - I hoped to get it done this summer but I really need a hot day to do it and the car needs to be stripped down and ready for it on this imaginary day too so might have to wait till we get our summer!! whatever year that will be :(

So popped into the body shop this evening to see how work was progressing and they had just finished putting the colour on the car - sorry about the picture, The windows were dirty ;)

Some new bits arrived too, New other headlights and plastic bowls and some nice badges from Atlantis Classics

I also got some proper seals for the XJS mirrors and Jag metal mirror supports for the inside of the doors so I wont have to go fiddling with bolts in that tight space inside the door.

Im thinking I might fit some all black door handles to the outside but as the Discovery ones are very expensive Im going to try and make some spare ones that I have look a bit better with some black paint.
ImageImageImage
Looking a bit rough I know - it need a good sanding down again and redoing with better quality paint.

I found a Brake master and servo on ebay last week at a good price, while I don't really need it I couldn't resist at the price. It was used but in almost new condition looking at the internals -
A lick of primer and some of aldi's finest Garden fence paint and it looking sweet :) lets see how long the paint lasts - will have to be very careful with the brake fluid.

My spare rusty "strut brace" was cleaned down/ painted and hung on the line to dry :)
ImageImage
Looking forward to getting the car back next week and getting some of this stuff fitted !

Terry H

Post by Terry H » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Joe, The last time I did a vinyl roof was 1971-2, advice at the time was not to fit to warm or hot body work as the adheasive will set to quick and wont allow for any minor adjustment before adheasive sets. I found a seller on ebay doing vinyl roof kits for various cars for £95, I mailed them for a quote on a SE6 they have asked for dimentions which I've yet to give them, company's name is Aldridge Trimming, the name sounds vaguely familiar.
Regards Terry H

geoffp67

Re: Scimitar SE6a Restoration - A New Year, A New List

Post by geoffp67 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 pm

nothing wrong with marine ply - it is made out of hardwoods and high quality glues with very few voids. Good enough for some boats that have lasted a long time. Llodys ply is even better. Neither are cheap.
Avoid the "waterproof board" that diy shops, builders merchants etc sell, its cheap ply with a better glue.
JoeySully wrote:
The wood I "OK" but I Have a friend that says he can replicate it. Will probably get it made out of some hardwood rather than this marine ply stuff.

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Post by JoeySully » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 pm

Terry H wrote:Hi Joe, The last time I did a vinyl roof was 1971-2, advice at the time was not to fit to warm or hot body work as the adheasive will set to quick and wont allow for any minor adjustment before adheasive sets. I found a seller on ebay doing vinyl roof kits for various cars for £95, I mailed them for a quote on a SE6 they have asked for dimentions which I've yet to give them, company's name is Aldridge Trimming, the name sounds vaguely familiar.
Regards Terry H
I still have not decided who to get the vinyl off, and still not sure which one to get! What I do know is that It will have to come from the UK, nobody seems to do it over here.

The way im thinking of doing it will allow me to do it without stitching anything together so I will just have to get a few meters of the material. I'v been thinking about filling in the Webasto too but ill have to think some more about it.

http://www.aldridge.co.uk/ are the guys your talking about. Wollies, http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ also supply it as does R&S coachbuilder but their site is down I think. I have also just found http://www.thetrimmingcentre.co.uk/.

The width of the vinyl will be important for me. The current style fitted has two seams from front to rear of the car on both sides of the webasto. If I get a wider vinyl, 60" will do, It will fold down the side of the rear wing about 6" so I will avoid having to get these long stitches done. Some vinyl is 52" wide I think. So my plan is to fit the bits by the rear windows and front pillars and then fit the top part with the end turned over and sewn. This way I can do it myself and will only need a household sewing machine. Yes I suppose the right way is to get it all in one sheet and fit it but its all about the £££.
geoffp67 wrote:nothing wrong with marine ply - it is made out of hardwoods and high quality glues with very few voids. Good enough for some boats that have lasted a long time. Llodys ply is even better. Neither are cheap.
Avoid the "waterproof board" that diy shops, builders merchants etc sell, its cheap ply with a better glue.
JoeySully wrote:
The wood I "OK" but I Have a friend that says he can replicate it. Will probably get it made out of some hardwood rather than this marine ply stuff.
Thanks for the info. The day the frame gets made it will be made out of whatever is knocking around the workshop I would think. Yes Id agree the marine ply is strong with all its sheets but if the roof leaks it really does rot away.

stocks71

Post by stocks71 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:04 am

HI Joe. Just got a thread of this thread. Hope it all turns out good. Progress so far is looking OK. Good luck Mate.

1972 SE5a GTE
2004 Mazda RX8 231PS - Broken
1990 Golf GTi 8V - Daily

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Re: Scimitar SE6a Restoration - Painting nearly done :)

Post by JoeySully » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Popped in this evening to get a better look at the paint - looking good now

Last edited by JoeySully on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Its looking good Joey :mrgreen:

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... =20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi mate, looking tremndously good!! :shock: :wink: 8) 8)

I was supposed to get some quotes re non chrome handles from a 300Tdi Disco wasn't I or was that for someone else? I've been ill and then my Broadband went for the past two weeks. I'll give them a ring tomorrow, sorry mate. :oops:

1978 Se6a "Mamba"
1975 SE5a "Kato"
1969 SE5

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Post by JoeySully » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Tony Jones wrote:Hi mate, looking tremndously good!! :shock: :wink: 8) 8)

I was supposed to get some quotes re non chrome handles from a 300Tdi Disco wasn't I or was that for someone else? I've been ill and then my Broadband went for the past two weeks. I'll give them a ring tomorrow, sorry mate. :oops:

Hi Tony, yes you were to look into them but then I was supposed to remind you too wasn't I ;)
No Hurry anyways - Its one of those things that can be done whenever, although I'm still interested in them as my attempt to paint my spare chrome ones turned to Image.

Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:18 pm

No worries mate, I was supposed to get back to you. I'll get it done though, will call 'em tomorrow. I've got to get a few Land rover bits sorted anyhow.

1978 Se6a "Mamba"
1975 SE5a "Kato"
1969 SE5

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Re: Scimitar SE6a Restoration - And Its Finally Back!

Post by JoeySully » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Picked up the car yesterday evening :D
here are some "before" shots

ImageImage

All painted and back together !

The front bumper has been replaced with my spare which is I now realize is very different in shape compared to the old one. It has a nice curvy bit at the bottom. Got that painted the same color as the car.

The major damage at the passenger side repaired nicely

The Rear wiper and Aeriel have been removed and filled in and Ive chosen not to put the silver stripe along the side.

I got some new gaskets/support-brackets and screws from Jaguar for the mirrors - so they fit much better and don't wobble about anymore.

Some new badges had to be got to complement the new paint.

So over all im very happy with the finish - a few imperfections here and there but overall its very good! Its a pity that the light surrounds were not painted body color but they were trying to keep it as "original" as possible. Ohh well I might drop them into them some time in the future to get them painted and i guess I could do it myself with a rattle can and some fine weather. Its taken a whole 6 weeks to get it done with an initial estimate of about 2 weeks. Im kinda glad it took that long purely because it gave me time to save up for the final Bill :) it wasn't that bad though! It was certainly cheaper than what other are being quoted for hitting a fox!!

Now I can get back to all the jobs Ive been preparing to do while it was away. I will hopefully run out of red paint soon because it really is getting a bit much ! Here's a little insight to what next in this project thread ;)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Scimitar SE6a Restoration - And Its Finally Back!!!

Post by scimjim » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 pm

that looks great Joey - and that looks like a 6b/GTC bumper to me, just watch out for kerbs - it's surprisingly low!

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Project Progress”