The progress of Scimmetry 1976 SE6

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Scimmetry

Post by Scimmetry » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:20 pm

The GTE is still on partial hold in the company compound so work is slower than when it was at Dads.
It needs to look complete so major work cant really begin till its home.
Compression test was done with mixed results.
Couple of pots are slightly low when tested dry & wet so further investigation needed at a later date.
Onto carburettor as its quite leaky, a puddle formed on inlet when running.
In bundle of spares & parts is webcon service kit, new power valve & internal filter.
Carb has been stripped, cleaned in jizer bath getting ready for reassembly.
Power valve diaphragm was split, accelerator pump diaphragm was cracked & vary hard. Internal filter was missing.
One idle jet had no 'O' ring other had 'O' ring but was cracked and hard.
Throttle plate bushes are better than expected.

The above could explain why it runs bad & is running so rich.
Sorry no photos as at work.
Last edited by Scimmetry on Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jr

1976 SE6

Scimmetry

The progress of Scimmetry

Post by Scimmetry » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:22 pm

A little overtime this morning left us with a little tinkering time.
Carb service kit has lots of extra parts that have no home on the carb but the kit doesn't include the power valve diaphragm or choke diaphragm.
The carb doesn't have the extra vacuum pipe and diaphragm found on some versions of the 38 dgas. Unsure if that will effect things in the long term?
Stripping the choke has revealed the diaphragm fitted to the choke has also seem better days but is not included in the carb service kit.
A diaphragm has been sourced after a few phone calls but is of a type fitted to the earlier type 38dgas.
Seller couldn't be 100% certain, due to being ford based not reliant, but though being a 1976 the carb should be a later type.
Changing all the fuel and vacuum lines all are in a poor state. The dizzy advance pipe had more than a few leaks which wont have helped.
Hoping that all the small air leaks from the split diaphragms & past it pipes were contributing to poor running when unloaded.

Jr

1976 SE6

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:42 pm

I did a similar service on my 38DGAS a while ago - again, all the valuable perishables were missing from the service kit. I also found a blocked little channel from the outside of the choke diaphragm going into the carb body via a right-angle turn in a separate casting - may be worth a look. Do you have the weber carb setup text to get you through?

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:
Creator of https://cooldog.uk/

Scimmetry

Post by Scimmetry » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Yes it is annoying when the parts they know you will need are not part of the service kit. Especially since its a genuine webcon kit.
Dad thought everything was in the service kit when we were talking about it & wasn't happy when told a lot was missing.
The body & other bits have been in the Jizer bath we use at work & have given all the ports and channels a blowout with the airline.
A colleague dropped a book off for us this morning which has a chapter covering the 34 dgas, 38 dgas, 40dfa & 40dfva.
He took the choke assembly apart & found the diaphragm with loads of tiny pin holes while we we finishing off.
He was mumbling about not messing with one of these for years while at the bench.
Choke parts are in jizer bath as missed them when the rest was done, will be nice and clean come Monday

Jr

1976 SE6

Scimmetry

Post by Scimmetry » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:15 pm

Quite a lot of progress over the last few weeks. :D
Still need to remember to take some photos. :roll:

The rebuild of the carb went fairly well once all the other diaphragms not included in the service kit were bought assembly was nice easy. :)
Once the carb was refitted & all the vacuum pipes changed for new it started very easily. :D
The carb still needs final tuning but its close enough that the car starts reliably now and runs a lot better plus as a bonus there is no puddle of fuel sitting in the inlet manifold anymore. :hurrah:

I do need to try and find the correct size of the nuts that hold the air filter to the carb as none are fitted and the filter is just sat in place for now. :?:
While the carb was off the original pressed steel air filter box was shown the blasting cabinet and given a nice fresh coat of paint.

The car has now been moved from the storage yard at work to the workshop at home. :D
While it was in the compound it had to appear to be a running complete car but now its home disassembly can begin. :shock:

Both heater blower motors were removed. In fairness didn't take much removing as held on with the wires and the air pipes. :oops:
Both blowers have been stripped apart and new silent block mountings ordered while the metal work is being cleaned up & the motors have gone to a guy who deals with starter/alternator/motor servicing at work.
Talking to him yesterday the motors were surprisingly good and should be back sometime next week ready to assemble into the refurbed blower housings.
I know there are better more modern blowers available but will go with the original blowers for now.

On the subject of the heater one of the heater controls doesn't move on the dash so guess that will be a dash out job to dismantle the heater box. :roll:
That's a job for another day. :wink:

While removing the heater blowers all the headlamp bowls were removed as they are all rotten and well passed it. Quite how the headlamps were being held in is beyond me. :o
New modern plastic type being used when refitted. Nowhere near the quality of the original headlamp bowls but at least wont rust. 8)

First major part to be released was the front bumper. Didn't quite expect it being the job it was but after more than a few snapped bolts its off.
The metalwork that supports the front bumper is in a lot better condition than expected. :D
Quite a puzzle getting to some of the bolts but its all off now and in the boot of the car to go in the blast cabinet :roll: , if they will fit, before getting treated to some epoxy which should protect for a while.

Going to see the local hardware supplier next week to get some new bolts and washers ready for reassembly once everything is cleaned up.

When removing the radiator the bottom mounting plate is quite corroded so will have to see how that cleans up. :|

One thing that did become obvious when removing the front bumper is the white/cream coloured paint is not the original colour and the original colour was Alaska Blue which decoding the chassis number using the QRG parts book confirms the original colour of the car. :)

As a bonus got a message from Dad to say he had a cardboard box for me with more Scimitar parts he has found while clearing, one of them containing a Mountney type steering wheel which is a nice find as I am now keen on the well passed its best original steering wheel. :P
Only drawback is with all the restrictions am unsure when we can pick the parts up. :cry:

Will remember to get some photos & add some to the thread. :?

Jr

1976 SE6

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:02 pm

Threads need pics 8)

JC

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:06 pm

I’m guessing from the relation of blower motors to headlamps that it’s a 6 series?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Scimmetry

Post by Scimmetry » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:28 pm

efi_sprintgte wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:02 pm
Threads need pics 8)
I know I know :oops:
When its my weekend on call I only carry the work phone and its camera is one step up from a potatoe :roll:
I will get some taken tomorrow with my old camera & update the thread.
scimjim wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:06 pm
I’m guessing from the relation of blower motors to headlamps that it’s a 6 series?
Yes its a 1976 SE6

Jr

1976 SE6

Scimmetry

Post by Scimmetry » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:03 pm

A few photos of the metal work.
IMG_0293.JPG
front nose support metal work 2
IMG_0293.JPG (428.09 KiB) Viewed 175 times
IMG_0294.JPG
front nose support metal work
IMG_0294.JPG (423.57 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Bumper needing a little repair & bumper mesh a little past its best.
IMG_0297.JPG
front bumper
IMG_0297.JPG (312.25 KiB) Viewed 175 times
IMG_0310.JPG
bumper mesh
IMG_0310.JPG (382.7 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Original colour which I prefer to the cream/white colour.
IMG_0301.JPG
original colour
IMG_0301.JPG (160.72 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Front metalwork I expected a lot worse considering its 44 years old. Clearly parts of it have been painted at some point.
A couple of snapped bolts need grinding off/drilling out & its looking like some of the bits wont fit into the blasting cabinet so will have to go old school with a power file/grinder flap wheel to get the others cleaned up before painting.

Need to have a look around at work to see if there is any nice alloy mesh that can be used in place of the rusty steel bits that fell off.

Is it normal for the air intakes to the heater blowers to be just open without a cover or mesh ? :?:
Last edited by Scimmetry on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jr

1976 SE6

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:00 pm

The blowers used to have a mesh but it will have rusted away to dust by now, as will the cowls.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:06 pm

Copy of DSCN3196.JPG
Copy of DSCN3196.JPG (88.67 KiB) Viewed 150 times
DSCN3192.JPG
DSCN3192.JPG (103.65 KiB) Viewed 150 times

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Scimmetry

Post by Scimmetry » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:04 pm

Thanks. there was little of the mesh left.
Both cowl ducts were quite frilly at the edge but in the main cleaned up ok but wasn't a lot of the duct left.
Made a new duct out of black styrene sheet & glued it on after the metal was painted.
IMG_0294.JPG
blower duct made from styrene sheet
IMG_0294.JPG (254.16 KiB) Viewed 123 times

Jr

1976 SE6

Return to “Project Progress”