My Purple Project - SE5a 1973

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Post by rjudcsx » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:21 pm

Thanks Adam , " find the little grey sausage " is a phrase that I am accustomed to :lol: I will get him to have a look [ it's going down hill very quick] Regards Richard .

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:27 pm

A 2.2uF and an 0.33uF in parallel gets close as well..the list goes on. 2 4.7uF in series with an 0.15uF in parallel with it?

I’ll stop now..

Nice job, Adam - I just fitted 6 internals instead :lol:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:32 pm

philhoward wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:27 pm
Nice job, Adam - I just fitted 6 internals instead
Thanks Phil - but preservation of the species is the key :wink: Plus, I have some spare capacitors and a soldering iron - but no SE6 rev-counters :P

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:
Creator of https://cooldog.uk/

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:24 am

RE: Oxygen sensor on a 'sniffer' pipe on tailpipes to help set good idle air/fuel mixtures:
Scim8tar wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:06 pm
I can post some of the setting that I find give the best performance if you would like.
Paul, that would be fantastic if you could post those :D

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:59 am

adamwilkes wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:32 pm
philhoward wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:27 pm
Nice job, Adam - I just fitted 6 internals instead
Thanks Phil - but preservation of the species is the key :wink: Plus, I have some spare capacitors and a soldering iron - but no SE6 rev-counters :P
In my defence it was when I was fitting an Omega engine so the original system wouldn’t have worked anyway 8)

To be fair, it didn’t actually work completely for that - should have fitted a Spiyda module instead.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Scim8tar

Post by Scim8tar » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi Adam, I have replied to your P.M with some settings, I forgot to add, that was for electronic ignition, standard points set up will need to be slightly richer.

Paul

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:22 pm

Scim8tar wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:13 pm
Hi Adam, I have replied to your P.M with some settings, I forgot to add, that was for electronic ignition, standard points set up will need to be slightly richer.
Looks like I probably need to head to between 12.6:1 and 13:1 then - assuming the throttle has a nice response. Thanks for the PM guidance :D

Adam Wilkes

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:03 pm

Sunny day here in Dorsetshire, with intermittent dribbles, so I cracked on with the dash top (crash pad - last seen on page 22). I bet some of you had forgotten I'd even started that :lol: Many hours sanding, polishing and waxing the mould and here we are - gelcoat is on ! It's not going to be like a mirror-finish but I reckon it'll be a nice shape to top the dash :) Anyway, my fingers are worn out so that's a job done. It's going to be in Terra Brown - unexcitingly to match the rest of the dash & stuff.

Before the gelcoat brown: a picture of the mould after the fourth application of wax :?

IMG_3405.JPG
IMG_3405.JPG (73.18 KiB) Viewed 346 times

I fitted the new centre console today as well, with some struggling and scraping of new gelcoat (which can be polished out but extra work). I'm not convinced that the centre console fits in after the dash, but that's how I did it and it would have been nice to not have had the gear lever or handbrake there at all. Much fiddling was carried out. I needed to remove the carpet and sound insulation from beneath where the front cup-holder sits, as it seemed to be obstructing the console (although it may have been carpet elsewhere - see below). Just a little note to folks who may try the same with an auto 'box - there is a cable (the gear selector back-light) running under the sound insulation smack in the middle of where you'll be knifing away for the cup-holder to fit :? Some soldering today as well :roll:

The carpet on mine was folded up right in front of the gear-selector housing, which also obstructed the console (and may have been why the old console was cracked across the flat section right there). I cut that out with scissors :lol:

cup-holder recess.JPG
cup-holder recess.JPG (196.7 KiB) Viewed 346 times

New grp centre console added to the car; original padded cubby-hole lid has been re-used:

centre console fitted (1).JPG
centre console fitted (1).JPG (135.22 KiB) Viewed 336 times

Adam Wilkes

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Crash pad has been finished, but not removed from the mould yet; I have some fears of a struggle ahead, as the shape is not easy to release from the mould, and even harder to lay up nicely. There are too many narrow, deep and invisible edges to the front shape :? I am considering whether to use fibreglass loose strands (mixed as a 'putty') to help partly fill the narrow front bullnose (which is a narrow channel in the mould, and gets narrower as the grp laid in there gets thicker!).

Apart from tarting-up where I scraped the dashboard when fitting the centre console, I've now just about finished the main dash/console assembly - I fitted the heater controls and backing plate, the gear lever knob and selector case at the base of the gearstick, made a rubber mat for the base of the front cup-holder and helped the doors close more easily by splitting the door seals along the outside edges. Yes, I bought some new tubular rubber door seals instead of the (unavailable?) original-type lip-seal edging (which is a lot easier to squash). I figured it's all bought now, albeit unsuitable, so I may as well have a go at making a poor job better; knifing (invisibly) around the outside rubber face means the door only needs to buckle one rubber edge instead of two when it shuts. Does make it a lot easier to shut, and hopefully no more leaky!

The hatch door still leaks a bit (despite a new seal around the aluminium frame), so I need to track that down before fitting insulation or carpet in the back!

Adam Wilkes

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:43 pm

WHAT IS THIS ???!!!

IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_3414.JPG (115.18 KiB) Viewed 246 times

Ahhhhh, I seeeee :D It's a crash pad 8)

IMG_3416.JPG
IMG_3416.JPG (148.89 KiB) Viewed 246 times
IMG_3417.JPG
IMG_3417.JPG (172.98 KiB) Viewed 246 times

Adam Wilkes

Cutwaterdrummer
RSSOC Member

Post by Cutwaterdrummer » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Very, very nice, Adam!

RBW - SE5a Nevada Yellow Peril
www.cutwaterband.co.uk

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:26 pm

Very nice indeed 8)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:51 pm

Well done - IMO worth all the time and effort to create, and the fill strip above the glovebox looks like it was meant to be.
Love it

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:12 pm

Thanks for your appreciation, fellas - it's nice to see it coming together a bit inside :) As hoped, the top is removable and only secured by two screws (inside the door shuts) - I'm not sure why anyone would want it removable but the hassle of the original crash pad has led me to like the idea :lol: Dashboard is in with four screws; centre console has three screws - and they are all solid ! Now the broad strokes are in, I need to fettle everything a bit and then look at things like carpet, paintwork (that's maybe next year though) and finding out how often it breaks down :shock:

Adam Wilkes

barry_bryan
RSSOC Member

Post by barry_bryan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:25 pm

HI Adam, thats' a stunning job just fantastic glassing work puts mine to shame, 20 out of 10 superb Regards Baz

Barry Bryan

Return to “Project Progress”