My Purple Project - SE5a 1973

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:16 am

That's a blast from the past - one of my previous employers had a couple of these as "pool cars" when we needed to dash to site. The 205 Junior diesel was the second choice (first being the 306 D-turbo..) - a much better car than the other 306's they also had with the same engine; not helped by the 306's not having power steering and the 205 did 8)

That 205 had about 250k on it and still pulled well; maintaining momentum was still paramount round the roundabouts but a 205 does like corners..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:10 am

Like many old cars it seems, this one's performance has increased dramatically since we bought it; we think they didn't 'drive' it much but now it does get proper exercise it's quite a handy car :) It's a magic-carpet ride over speed-bumps too; I have no idea how they do it with such a light car but the ride is surprisingly absorbent!

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:36 pm

Back to the crash pad mould-making: The gelcoat and tissue layer are on the pattern & curing :) Lots of layers to go, then some structural supports. Whether it will come off again is another question :?

IMG_3320.JPG
IMG_3320.JPG (140.45 KiB) Viewed 831 times

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:21 pm

I've fitted a buzzer on both my classic cars so I can hear the indicators operating (over the engine noise).
Re: dash top reflections; I don't know if you will find a colour match but the little tins of Humbrol come in matt finish for painting model buildings etc. You'd need quite a few tins though, I guess.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:12 pm

As some of you may remember, I have a small leak from the auto 'box speedo drive outlet. See page 6 (leak) and page 9 (absorbent pad to collect the drip) to really get up to speed! The car has been run for a few minutes and sat where it is since refilling the gearbox (end of May); the absorbent pad is already pretty saturated so I am going to fix the leak rather than smother it :? I have an O-ring and a shaft-seal on route from QRG, who are still bitterly complaining about the unreliability of the Post Office First Class mail service :shock: Ah well, I am sure the PO will get on top of the extra load eventually.

The dashboard crash-pad mould is now complete, and complete with reinforcements to hold the shape once the pattern is extracted from it. I'll probably try pulling the pattern out in a couple of days & we'll see how the mould looks :) Bits of foam, wood and a cardboard tube don't look all that pretty but they do make for good reinforcing shapes once wrapped in grp :

Crash pad mould (1).JPG
Crash pad mould (1).JPG (116.09 KiB) Viewed 759 times

Adam Wilkes

Will Yarrow
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Yarrow » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Your mould has inspired me, I'm going to have a go at reshaping the rear lights on the GTC, they may not be pretty but at least i tried...

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:25 pm

Will Yarrow wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:20 pm
Your mould has inspired me, I'm going to have a go at reshaping the rear lights on the GTC, they may not be pretty but at least i tried...
Glad to be of inspiration, Will :shock: My advice: step back to have a look 8)

Adam Wilkes

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:46 pm

Today (Bank Holiday) I was going to do a simple small job to keep the project rolling on. . . change the gearbox speedo-drive oil-seals, which seem to be leaking quite a lot. I have the Borg-Warner 35 gearbox seal and O-ring from QRG, but the drive shaft seems to be fixed into the gearbox with a circlip (easily removed) and then friction I guess. I haven't been able to pull out the drive unit with leverage on vice-grips on the shaft, so I am uncertain how to progress. Please offer your suggestions!

speedo drive.JPG
speedo drive.JPG (105.07 KiB) Viewed 641 times

Although the black ring around the output shaft feels hard, it could be rubber :? Maybe I need this kind of seal, and just impale and pull out the old hard one:

EDIT:
I thunked about it for a minute & then spiked the seal out :D It's like this (16mm (5/8")overall diameter; 7.6mm (5/16") current inside diameter, although maybe it used to be 1/4" inside):

BW35 speedo drive seal.JPG
BW35 speedo drive seal.JPG (143.56 KiB) Viewed 622 times

Currently asking Nigel from QRG whether he has one.

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Post by GavinR » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:35 pm

Are there are numbers on the old seal?

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:54 pm

There are some numbers on the speedo shaft seal, but I spiked some when I hooking it out :roll: It's a FoMoCo 69AG 7K203??A. The '?' are where the damage is. Is it funny how there is a genuine Ford seal in a Borg-Warner gearbox?

It looks like it may be FoMoCo 69AG 7K203-AA, as that number shows up in search results as a Ford speedo seal.

Adam Wilkes

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Post by GavinR » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:28 pm

If Nigel cannot supply one, and looking at your dimensions, I was wondering if it's the same as the speedo oil seal in later Ford boxes?

e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193072794563

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, Gavin. Those dimensions sound right (8 thick x 16 dia & 7 dia), but Nigel is on the ball :D Is the Borg-Warner BW35 auto gearbox metric then?

Adam Wilkes

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:08 am

Minor updates: QRG is sending a new speedo shaft seal my way, so hopefully that will reduce the gearbox leaks.

The new dashboard warning lights have failed to arrive (3 months from China), so I now have a refund and have ordered some alternative lights from vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk; I don't like them so much as the Chinese (non-existent) ones and they will need some sticky labels sculpting onto the lenses but I reckon they will be just fine :) Again they are round coloured lights to fit where the original rectangular dash warning lights were, but six of them so that I can include a fog-light warning and a 'Park' position warning for the auto 'box. (The SE5a didn't have a fog-light from new as fog didn't exist back in 1973 :roll:) I am combining brake fluid and handbrake warnings into one light; I don't have brake-pad warning wires on the pads, so that won't be needed either.

I'll be back on the car in a week or so - hoping for some autumnal nice weather :D

Adam Wilkes

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:17 am

Warning lights - some like these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-10-14-16mm ... 3470949774

I used them on the Scimega - took ages to find sellers that actually had stock too and ended up getting them from multiple sellers. I wanted all black but the two indicator ones ended up being silver (no-one had black ones) as I replaced the speedo and tacho for VDO ones without warning lights in the end so had to add another 4. With some careful drilling I made up a blank cover and all 8 fitted in the 4 slots too 8) Had to fit an additional resistor in parallel for the alternator warning light - 68 Ohms from memory? I also didn't use the pad warning but added an ECU lamp 8)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Yes, those were the ones :(

chinese warning lights.jpg
chinese warning lights.jpg (58.24 KiB) Viewed 331 times

So now I shall try these lights , which have a flat lens-front - good for sticking symbols on, but are a bit larger than the Chinese ones. They are very cheap, but don't have replaceable bulbs (LED or filament - don't know):

vehiclewiringproducts warning lights.jpg
vehiclewiringproducts warning lights.jpg (19.53 KiB) Viewed 331 times

They also supply (and I have ordered) some quite nattty clear/see-though self-adhesive sheets with lots of black or white text or symbols which should cover all my warning needs, though I don't know how big they are :shock:

Adam Wilkes

Return to “Project Progress”