Wakeup Sully

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

rebel alliance

Wakeup Sully

Post by rebel alliance » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:14 pm

The instuctions for the use of Molyslip advise it is not suitable for overdrives amongst other things.

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by adamwilkes » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:39 pm

For those who aren't sure - automatic gearboxes shouldn't use friction-reducing additives like molyslip as they rely on friction to work correctly; he overdrive unit is like an automatic gearbox add-on, so molyslip could make the overdrive unit fail to engage properly.

Please correct me if I am mistaken!

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by philhoward » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:54 pm

Despite those who swear by it, I can’t see the sense in adding a friction reducing additive in something with a friction clutch in it.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:13 pm

At present the nays have it , lets see what happens when it goes to the Lords . Regards Richard .

rebel alliance

Wakeup Sully

Post by rebel alliance » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:16 pm

Or you could ignore helpful advice stick it in anyway and let us all know how you get on 😂

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:41 pm

Thanks Rebel, but no thanks. If I remember I took advice like that many years ago and I ended up getting married :lol: . Richard .

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:34 pm

As Phil points out, if you put a friction modifier into a friction wet clutch, you end up with poor or no clutch.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 pm

Did not have much time to play today so picked a simple job of removing the front mesh grill before I tidy up around that area . What a pig , bolts rusted solid , had to cut all five with limited access , then noticed that the grill itself curves over a cross member at the top and the side supports near the horns [ grill looks to be 100% original ] . Pulled , pushed ,bent [ not a lot ] could not get it out , only way at present is to cut it which I would prefer not to do , it looks like the front of the car was built around it ! Any ideas ? Regards Richard .

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by adamwilkes » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:20 am

Any photos to illustrate this?

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 pm

Decided to deal with the grill another way , masked up inside and out [ could get on both sides as grill was loose ] and gave it a coat satin black , also painted the front valence with the paint I had mixed up . The front valence has always been a bit scabby as if it had been done as an afterthought , looks better now. Fixed the annoying banging from load cover over uneven roads by attaching velcro to the underside at 3 points each side . Oil pressure now consistent at 45 hot tick over , 65 ish at 45 mph [ still to get Rev Counter going . ] Still got some Moly left over from not putting it in gear box , could I mix some into the grease that I use for the suspension and hubs ect ? Regards Richard .

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:25 pm

It has been a while since I put finger too key on this thread , although I have been putting my two pennys worth in on other posts [ who said , dont we know it :lol: ] Couple of pics , does not look much different from last pics but new s/s wipers , number plates , front valence painted , paint crack on rt hand wing "improved " , Jims light surrounds fitted ,and a number of other small jobs. I have been doing these when I have hit a wall on the two significant issues , indicators and gear selector , but hopefully they are moving towards a positive conclusion . Sorry about the stains under the car , had a bit of a mishap taking the old red clutch pipe out , thankfully on the concreate not the car :shock: [ and yes Rebel , I have still to sort out the sill trim :oops: ] Regards Richard .
Attachments
20200921_171856.jpg
20200921_171856.jpg (361.6 KiB) Viewed 395 times
20200921_171843.jpg
20200921_171843.jpg (324.54 KiB) Viewed 395 times

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:20 am

Morning all , today a concerted effort on the gear selector problem , if the " new " part comes , if not I will do as much prep work as possible . Whilst it is up in the air I will give it a coat of Wax oil [ I have rust removed ,rust killed , painted with paint that is used on rigs, dont ask me how I got it :wink: , ect ] after the gear selector work , as I do not want to be sticking to the under side of the car . Trying to get these type of jobs done before the weather breaks . Just on another subject , has any one seen the "Modified " Austin Healy 100/4 for sale on ebay , remove the wing and it has a very primeval attraction , but , my taste has always been a little odd :roll: By the way , my Scimitar always sits up at the front for a day or so [ if not moved ] after it has been on the axel stands then settles , I think it is its way of saying thank you . Regards Richard .

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:09 pm

Well , Hermes landed today after flying against a strong wind and I now have the replacement gear selector from S/Dave . It is in very good nick and when I just moved the leaver about [ sat in the kitchen going brum brum :lol: ] it is much more smooth and precise in its actions compared to my old one which was is notchy to the extreme and sometimes jams . Waiting on the rose joints , will I resist the temptation to put it on before they turn up? Regards Richard .

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:46 pm

Things are moving along slowly . The weather , combined with other commitments , work , waiting for bits to come , motivation ect ect has slowed me down a bit of late . Gone against my mantra of not having that many jobs on the go at one time , at present I am working on the following . Engine and rad flush done , core plugs ok , rad and other bits painted and partly back in with new hoses and clips [ whilst the rad was out I derusted , not that bad , the front area ,painted and Waxoiled] cleaned up all the stainless hoses ect . Took the tarnished wing mirrors off , found a couple of small cracks in the area of the fittings on the doors and repaired ,primed and awaiting a good few sunny hours to respray [could be a while ]. I like the cleaner lines but I have got a niggling desire to put some bullet mirrors on , although Jim would probably disagree :lol: . Had a new clutch pipe made up , braided , by Hel . This will replace the original red plastic one that could have been expanding when warm and under pressure , compounding the selector problem .The new gear selector came from Speedy Dave , who was kind and also sent a spare retaining plate , I might try and put this under the lower area of where the selector bolts up underneath to give that area a bit more structure , thanks Dave . I am still awaiting the rose joints, the supplier has confirmed that they did get despatched but over one week ,at least , has elapsed :x . Still fiddling with the indicator problem ,but that will wait for a bit. And when I have a few spare min I have been annoying people on the forum :lol: Regards and keep safe ,Richard .

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by adamwilkes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:16 pm

Good to see that you are still progressing - it's a lovely-looking car :D

Adam Wilkes

Return to “Project Progress”