Roger's Scimitars - Exciting News

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Roger's Scimitars - New Season Starts!

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:36 pm

Thanks Chris, yes, you're right, these events always do seem to attract a lot of Jags, of all sorts. Actually, talking of Jags and their relations, what you can't see in those pics, just next but one to the right of my car, is the new purchase of a friend of mine in SCS. Making it's debut at one of our shows, it's a car perhaps dear to your heart, a Daimler V8-250 in a beautiful deep red. It makes a beautiful burble from the Edward Turner V8 engine :D

SCS Breakfast Meet Shoreham Airport  -4175.jpg
SCS Breakfast Meet Shoreham Airport -4175.jpg (273.86 KiB) Viewed 1740 times

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:30 am

There are two more Jags behind, and a Scimitar!

Yes I love the V8-250.
I actually had a Jaguar version but the Daimler is better.
I expect it rusts just as quickly though :roll:

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:33 pm

In fact, Chris, there are two other Scimitars in that shot - Gordon's cream Middlebridge is the one you probably spotted, but if you look behind it, with a magnifier, there's David's brown Se6a. I'll post a Car Shows thread shortly, as there was also another Se6a there as well (so four altogether) :)

You're right about rust, it was always the Achilles heel of those Jaguar/Daimler bodies, this one has had a comprehensive restoration so will hopefully have been sorted.

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 pm

As an antidote to this weeks wet weather, about a week ago I took my lunch up onto the South Downs in the SS1. Just the right sort of day to enjoy a convertible :D

SS1 Photoshoot 2019 03.jpg
SS1 Photoshoot 2019 03.jpg (241.09 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
SS1 Photoshoot 2019 01.jpg
SS1 Photoshoot 2019 01.jpg (280.36 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
SS1 Photoshoot 2019 04.jpg
SS1 Photoshoot 2019 04.jpg (226.25 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
SS1 Photoshoot 2019 05.jpg
SS1 Photoshoot 2019 05.jpg (214.29 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

....Roger

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Post by Rattling » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Very envious of your panel gaps Roger it all looks perfect,great photos as usual!

Colin

1800 Ti

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks Colin, actually the photos probably flatter the gaps a bit :) One thing that always impresses me though, when I spring clean it and polish it, is how good the paint is - I'd say it's a lot better than either of the others.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:25 pm

On a slightly different theme, over the winter, I had a problem with my lights - both just suddenly stopped moving. I wound them up, took out the motor fuse, and left them, as it wasn't a problem, in winter, to have the lights stuck up. But then, as the evenings got lighter, I decided I should investigate. It seemed reasonable to think that the fault lay in the part of the wiring that was common, as both sides had failed together. so I started with the relays and fuse in the fusebox and then the red button cut-out. After that the wiring goes from the red button, via a joint which divides it between the two front relays R6 (R/H) and R5 (L/H). I thought that joint would be the last point where the power was common to both sides, so I was anticipating some digging in the loom, especially after I found power coming out of the red button (F8 on the diagram).

SS1 Headlight Wiring.jpg
SS1 Headlight Wiring.jpg (102.06 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

So, I thought I'd better confirm the lack of current arriving at the front of the car, so I took off R6 and as soon as I moved it, one wire fell off, quickly followed by another one, from the same connection. :shock: "That's suspicious", I thought, and it did turn out to be the smoking gun

Headlamp Relay R6.jpg
Headlamp Relay R6.jpg (110.76 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

It turned out that, on my car at least, the joint isn't actually in the loom, what they seem to have done is put two wires (the supply from the red button, and the bridge to relay R5) into the same spade connector, which seems to have overstrained it, with the result that over time and corrosion, it disintegrated:

Headlamp Terminal.jpg
Headlamp Terminal.jpg (103.59 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

So, the wiring diagram would perhaps be clearer to me as a bit of an electrical numpty, like this, though I don't know if it's actually legal in terms of diagram etiquette! Also I don't know if they are all like this, or if it's a previous owner thing?

SS1 Headlight Wiring 02.jpg
SS1 Headlight Wiring 02.jpg (102.5 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

To fix it I replaced the spade connector with just one short wire going in, which I then joined into a 2 to 1 connector a short distance away, to receive the other two purple/green wires.

....Roger

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 pm

I think they’re all like that - but wiring diagrams don’t actually show exactly where connections are (rear lights and number plate lights are a perfect example).

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:40 pm

The diagram is electrically correct but unless anything is wired exactly to the DIN standard (well, in control panels which is my background), then the wires don’t exactly go as you think.

It’s the story of my life following a failing voltage, literally tracing it wire by wire especially when it’s drawn as a “bus” with drops yet it’s actually daisy chained which was was easiest for the wireman, rather than exactly to the order that the draughstman drew then in..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:06 pm

It certainly is wired as a bus, when you're expecting one wire, and two come along all at once! :lol: It did look as though it might be original, but after 30 years and 8 previous owners, you can't really be sure. I was quite pleased, A. that I managed to find the fault, and B. that the fix only cost 4 spade connectors, 2 inches of wire and a 3-way connector :D if only that happened more often!

....Roger

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:50 pm

You may remember that I'm a member of the GRRC (Goodwood Road Racing Club), and that each year we have a Members' Open Day on the lawn of Goodwood House. Members' cars are parked in the car park which serves as the main paddock for the Festival of Speed, and are normally a fantastically wide selection of classic or exotic cars. In addition, each year they choose about 40 cars to be invited to display around the carriage circle in front of the house, as the main focus of the event. The cars chosen represent a wide range from high-status exotics, notable classic or vintage models, and cars with interesting stories to tell. The high spot of the day, is that the owners are treated to lunch in the ballroom of Goodwood House as guests of the Duke of Richmond.

So, I was absolutely delighted to hear that this year I've been invited to display the SS1 as one of the selected cars! :D

Here's a panorama I shot a couple of years ago, which gives some idea of the layout of the display: (though the forum doesn't handle panoramas very well)

GRRC Open Day 2016 -.jpg
GRRC Open Day 2016 -.jpg (116.79 KiB) Viewed 817 times

It's the weekend before Curborough, so that's two cars to polish over the next couple of weeks..... :roll: (although cars don't necessarily have to be shiny; patina is welcome too). It's a members only event, so I'm afraid I can't say everyone can come and have a look, though I know there are at least a couple of GRRC members on here. I will, of course be taking photos of the event for posterity :D

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Well done! That's great! Congratulations :D
But beware of housemaid's elbow!

(I think you meant "Exciting" news rather than that you were 'Exiting" the forum)

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks Trevor (and yes, sadly spelling checkers don't identify when it's the wrong spelling for the context, but a possible right spelling! :lol: )

....Roger

Edzed
RSSOC Member

Post by Edzed » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:11 am

Well done Roger! I entered mine a couple of years ago and received a nice reply saying that it had been a close call but, unfortunately I wasn't successful. I'm hoping to be there, so let's hope the weather is good!

Jeff Craske
Current:1989 LHD 1400 SS1
Gone but not forgotten: CAN 172D - Straight Six Coupe | GBG 540E - V6 Coupe | C999 YCR - 1600 SS1
View my website 'Scimitars e Cimitarra': http://jeffcraske.wix.com/index

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks Jeff :D I'll keep a look-out for you!

It's an event that I always look forward to, because the range and variety of cars is so wide; especially surprising when you consider that the event has been running for at least 15 years now, and they keep finding new cars from amongst the GRRC membership.

....Roger

Return to “Project Progress”