1976 SE6 restoration in Belgium

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

moulefrites
RSSOC Member

Post by moulefrites » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:19 am

Hi Guys - I finally got to typing up some notes on the SE6 I'm working on over in Belgium:

I had a Scimitar shaped hole in my life...

I rebuilt my TR7 about 15 years ago and have renovated the house and done a lot of RC plane stuff, but having turned 50 this year I needed another project for my “mid life crisis” My good lady was quite ok with the plan – I would only be “down in the garage” after all.

After lots of virtual surfing and concerns about looming Brexit and the possibility of actually getting a UK car on the road legally in Belgium I was looking more in mainland Europe. All of a sudden, after missing a couple of cars in Belgium, Holland and Germany, and not wanting to go Bordeaux (could have brought back some wine I suppose…) a car popped up just down the road in Luxembourg.

An SE6 from May 1976 – I went to see it and knew straight away that I wanted it. (Darn those rose colored glasses) but it looked solid enough and seemed like the basis for a quick tidy up recommissioning and rolling restoration. I honestly did check quite a few things and made a mental list of jobs. Of course I knew there would be some surprises.

The story was the car came from the UK via Belgium, but was never registered. It was then sold to the PO who registered it in Luxembourg and then had it re-painted the current forest green in 2005. The car was used for a while, then stored for the last 2 years (40miles since its last MOT in 2017)

So a deal was done, formalities completed and the owner even delivered it.

So far the problem & to do list is quite long and the more I look, the more I find. It’s a case of 3 steps forward and 2 back.
IMG_2827.JPG
IMG_2827.JPG (240.26 KiB) Viewed 899 times
IMG_2825.JPG
IMG_2825.JPG (181.06 KiB) Viewed 899 times
IMG_2829.JPG
IMG_2829.JPG (140.56 KiB) Viewed 899 times

moulefrites
RSSOC Member

Post by moulefrites » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:24 am

Mechanical
Suspension. Clonk and bump from front right wheel: seized and sloppy trunnion. Closer inspection shows all bushings worn, ball joints boots split and some bolt bodging on the top ball joint bolts presumably to clear 15” Wolfrace wheels & 205 tyres. Full front suspension rebuild with new everything, incl springs and dampers. Metal parts sand blasted and painted. PO has fitted 5mm wheel spacers, probably for clearance issue. Signs of rubbing inside the wheel arches. Even the 5mm spacers are limit too thin, have ordered some 7mm ones. I need to look deeper at the wheel offset.

Ditto for the rear. Try to replace the missing bump stops with fully rusted bolts

Tyres current 205's seem a bit too large and may be old. Good tread, but made in 2009

Gearbox - Overdrive is not engaging – Electrics are ok, could be gearbox oil level or defective solenoid or worse. Need to check oil and get it running to define next steps
Bumping on declutch & gear change changed gearbox mount
Gearbox oil leaks – need to trace the source. May explain the OD problem

Engine oil leaking around rocker cover gaskets. New gaskets. Check the timing gears
Smoky & wont hold an idle when warm. Could be Mixture and worn oil stem seals
Timing, and a full tune up needed. Plan to fit an electronic ignition based on Bosch distributor.
Detail the engine bay.
Add Oil low pressure switch
Compression is good (10 bar) on 1,2,4,5. On 3 – there is not enough clearance for my Gusnson gauge into the spark plug hole. Cylinder 6 is reading 7 bar only. Need to get a different gauge and try also compression with a few drops of oil in the bores.

Cooling system overhaul, flush and pressure test the radiator, new hoses & pipes. Add outlet on top to connect to a proper expansion tank. Will try to fit a spare TR7 tank I have, with coolant level sensor
T-piece for rear of manifold.

Brakes Car still has original Girling 3 pot brakes. Some good overhaul work was done by PO who replaced some of the metal & all flexible pipes. I will also change the brake fluid. (Fluid boiling point is part of the MOT test here and brake fluid is hydroscopic so needs replacing every 2-3 years,.)

Fuel System fit electric fuel pump, fuel cut off tap, new hoses, take out the tank, flush and check. If ok fill with POR15 resin system (Used before on TR7 – works well)

Rear axle Clean up, change oil. PO had added a vent line and a coil of hose. Add a proper vent filter
PICT0029.JPG
PICT0029.JPG (199.6 KiB) Viewed 896 times
PICT0022.JPG
PICT0022.JPG (224.13 KiB) Viewed 896 times
PICT0021.JPG
PICT0021.JPG (205.49 KiB) Viewed 896 times

moulefrites
RSSOC Member

Post by moulefrites » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:26 am

Electrical
At delivery – there was not much current flowing; No Hazard lights, wipers, washers, front or rear, no fan. No warning lights (none) on dash. No fogs front or rear. No horn. Interior lights not working. Most now fixed with 2 new relays, a couple of fuses, bulbs and a broken fuse box terminal.

Rear wipers & washers not working. Eventually traced to a dodgy switch, dead pump and stuck 1-way valve.

Bonnet light not connected – may change the plan here, as it seems pretty high up to be of any use.
Numerous odd cut wires and liberal use of screw or crimp connectors, and even earth wires simply twisted together. Work through and repair. Have now taken out the whole rear harness and repaired one chaffed through wire right in the middle (Purple-White going to the fear hatch light)
Front harness taken ouf of the car completely, laid out on a big sheet of plywood. Thorough check out all wires, and several repairs and or replacements. Additional wires for Fan, spot lights and coolant level
Numerous Dash & instrument bulbs not working – Done
Overhaul the dash switches and wire for warning lights (Lights/Fog/Hazard) using TR7 parts - Done
Fit fused relays for engine fan, fuel pump & horns,
Fit fused relays for dipped headlights, main inners and driving lights
Replace front fogs with driving lights. (I won’t be driving the Scim in fog!)
Fit lights-on warning + timer (No sign on a delay unit in the car)
Add interior lights in footwell + glovebox
Battery isolator - Done
Repair brake pad wear warning wires - Done
Radio and speakers, with Electric Ariel
Electric fuel pump with cut & Inertia switch
Ignition cut off switch
New horns - Done
Replace door switches - Done
Indicator repeaters in front wings.
High level 3rd Brake light, stuck to rear window
Add an engine fan over-ride switch
Add warning lights for Oil pressure, Coolant level, Fuel pump cut, Ignition cut, Overdrive, Engine Fan,
Flashing LED for “alarm”
New battery
Charging socket under front bumper for winter battery cycling

This was a chaffed wire in the loom running to the back of the car
IMG_3059.JPG
IMG_3059.JPG (227.52 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Last edited by moulefrites on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

moulefrites
RSSOC Member

Post by moulefrites » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:31 am

Interior

Driver’s & Passenger Seat need recovering – got a pair of decent 2nd hand seats – trip to the trimmer
Missing A-post trims - bought
Badly damaged Centre console - Bought a 2nd hand one in black
Clean up and re-fit all the panels correctly
Replace seat belts (wrong bolts, missing spacers, washers, trims etc)
Fit dashboard correctly
Repair and recover dash top crash pad
Gear lever gaiter, in black vinyl or leather
Steering wheel plastic falling off the rim (I find the 15” original a bit big) Fit a new 14” wheel
Passenger air vent binding on the glovebox lid. – move the vent, redo fixing holes
Heater box is missing the nozzle directing air up to the screen and the box+vents directing air to the footwells Got a SH new heater and salvaged the parts required.
Get rid of the awful mouse urine smell in the pass footwell – removed a mouse nest with 2 desiccated residents in one of the sound insulation bags – treated with Bicarbonate of Soda..! miracle cure
Removed and overhauled the pedal box assembly

This wood/cardboard affair (Left of photo) was on top of the heater to direct air to the screen
PICT0074.JPG
PICT0074.JPG (163.5 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Interior getting stripped out ready for body removal
IMG_3007.JPG
IMG_3007.JPG (145.12 KiB) Viewed 893 times

moulefrites
RSSOC Member

Post by moulefrites » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:38 am

Body & Chassis

Corroded front outriggers / Sill plates. Got repair sections – need to get it to a body shop - booked for mid December
Corroded (absent) stiffening hoop joint to chassis on both sides and some surrounding corrosion – incl pin holes in the big tube the rear suspension fixes to. Got repair sections – need to get it to a body shop booked for mid December
Corroded stiffeners top of sill in footwell both sides. Need to get parts and get the grinder out.
Rattling rear hatch – suspect worn / broken hinge.
All four wheel arch liners have been cut back on the inside, presumably also for the bigger wheels. Clean up and some epoxy
New seals for both quarter light windows
New drip seals inner and outer for door glass
New windscreen seal
Rear wiper arm falls off – got new one in black
Rubber peeling away from support on both bumpers – bought the mastic glue from QRG. Hope I get round to using it before the glue goes off
Some small paint scratches – spit and polish
Door frames don’t fit apertures well and prevent the doors from closing properly – ned to remove the glass to be able to adjust the frames properly
Door latches a binding on closure - adjust
Drivers side door reflector. mounting holes too big – fit rivnuts.
Mirrors are loose on mounts – Seems like a bad system. Screws and washers when I get inside the doors
One of the main beams HL units is mounted slightly rotated. Annoying detail, fixed with a little adjustment
All 4 front splash guards are missing – try to source new ones for front at least

First indications - it will be worse
IMG_2981.JPG
IMG_2981.JPG (167.31 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Body coming up:
IMG_3130.JPG
IMG_3130.JPG (159.3 KiB) Viewed 889 times
The roll hoop - attached to nothing
PICT0042.JPG
PICT0042.JPG (149.8 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Roll hoop bolt remains
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG (180.59 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Body up
IMG_3154.JPG
IMG_3154.JPG (125.29 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_3137.JPG
IMG_3137.JPG (132.84 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_3155.JPG
IMG_3155.JPG (158.18 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Good company - Dodge Charger, Audi RS4, Porsche 911
IMG_3133.JPG
IMG_3133.JPG (125.59 KiB) Viewed 889 times

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:34 am

If the body has been lifted from the chassis then it's unlikely the doors will fit correctly due to body flex

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:30 pm

Good thread - well done so far, and fingers crossed everything goes back OK.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

moulefrites
RSSOC Member

Post by moulefrites » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:13 pm

I learned that I have a “pink body” This and Girling 3-pot calipers, red reflectors on the rear bumper and 3 stripes on the bumper. All together mean I have a SE6.
The chassis number 1162 means 162nd car off the SE6 line I believe.

I got the car to the garage in the next town in mid December. Nothing much happened so far, except welding in the new attachment plates for the roll hoop. I worked on a few things during the holidays, getting the body lifted and cutting back the side channels under the sills. It was at this point I discovered the parts I’d ordered back in July were too short.

I’ve started wire brushing & painting the bits of the chassis that are normally hidden. I also found that the rear seat back mounting plates have seen better days, but otherwise the chassis is solid.

At home (in the warm) I made some progress on some other areas:

Pedal box - cleaning, greasing and painting. Waiting for some pedal covers & brake light switch
PICT0110.JPG
PICT0110.JPG (155.57 KiB) Viewed 783 times

Heater – added the nozzle and the box below to direct air up and down correctly, glued all the foams back in place.
PICT0108.JPG
PICT0108.JPG (167.8 KiB) Viewed 783 times
Brake Servo – cleaned and painted
Master Cylinder – stripped cleaned and painted, rebuilt with new seals.
PICT0112.JPG
PICT0112.JPG (215.23 KiB) Viewed 783 times
PICT0099.JPG
PICT0099.JPG (165.57 KiB) Viewed 783 times
One of the old seals (fluid reservoir to cylinder) looked like it had be cut out with an axe.
PICT0095.JPG
PICT0095.JPG (300.49 KiB) Viewed 783 times
Wiring loom – completed a thorough check and installation of new wires for the fuel pump and numerous other changes, built up 3 electrical centers for relays & fuses for front lights, horns, fan & fuel pump, wiper delay, lights on warning and delay.
PICT0116.JPG
PICT0116.JPG (241.97 KiB) Viewed 783 times
PICT0102.JPG
PICT0102.JPG (213.96 KiB) Viewed 783 times

Centre console – various repairs and worked on the additional warning lights in place of the non functioning clock. I have also ditched the rheostat for the panel lights as it was broken and I never use it even on daily drivers.
I fitted a switch to manually override the engine fan in its place.

PICT0103.JPG
PICT0103.JPG (187.75 KiB) Viewed 783 times
I also put TR7 switches in for lights, fog and hazards - similar to Scimitar ones but with coloured illumination panels. I needed to change the connection blocks on the harness too, in order to get the bulbs, but I had all the parts laying around.
PICT0106.JPG
PICT0106.JPG (163.23 KiB) Viewed 783 times

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Post by Rattling » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:26 pm

Good progress 👍👍

Colin

1800 Ti

Return to “Project Progress”