71 GTE SE5A my rolling restoration and now Tdi conversion

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

CarlosVanDango

Post by CarlosVanDango » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:10 pm

I haven't given up on this just been busy with other projects. Today i took the engine back out, i've now got the clutch sorted so i'm going to fit that and get the engine back in hopefully before the colder weather sets in, i know if i don't get that bit done it'll drag on but with only smaller jobs to do i'll still get to work on it over the winter.
engine back out.JPG
engine back out.JPG (250.06 KiB) Viewed 215 times

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:59 pm

Agreed, try to get the engine back in and reassembled as soon as, otherwise it becomes just another job on a long list rather than progress. (Speaking from experience :roll: )

Is we sideways yet...

CarlosVanDango

Post by CarlosVanDango » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:16 pm

i'm managing to get a bit done but not got the engine back in yet, i would have liked to have had by now but........

this is it now....
engine box.jpg
engine box.jpg (181.46 KiB) Viewed 77 times
I'm having to mess with the clutch - there just isn't enough throw on the clutch arm, so what i've done is back out the pivot point with washers - this is just to get the adjustment right then i will make a permanent fix - the release bearing also falls off the input shaft sleeve so i've had to pack that out too, i'll also have to get a spacer made up so crap can't get behind and into the box oil seal
nose out.jpg
nose out.jpg (176.63 KiB) Viewed 77 times
i've bought a new master cylinder as the scim one was a bit ropey, the one ive got is a 0.625" hopefully that will match to the RX8 slave.

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:31 pm

If the release bearing used to fall off the end of the sleeve when depressing the clutch, does that mean that the input shaft is backed out of the flywheel somewhat? Is there enough splined shaft still in the clutch, and the input shaft still in the spigot bearing? Sorry ! :w

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

CarlosVanDango

Post by CarlosVanDango » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:42 pm

adamwilkes wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:31 pm
If the release bearing used to fall off the end of the sleeve when depressing the clutch, does that mean that the input shaft is backed out of the flywheel somewhat? Is there enough splined shaft still in the clutch, and the input shaft still in the spigot bearing? Sorry ! :w
:D i know what you mean but no.... the clutch splines are engaged fully on the shaft - the problem is my clutch is loads flatter than the RX8 one would have been

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:45 pm

Ah, good ! :D

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

Return to “Project Progress”