G130 YCF sprint car

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:48 pm

Cheers, exactly which bit did you cut?

I break stuff...... :w

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:18 am

I cut the wheel aperture of the original wing too big, Martin Ford, the scrutineer that replaced my chosen log booking scrutineer at last minute, showed me msa reg that the original.wings can only be cut enough to allow clearance for larger tyres. I argued that as the outer wing was full around the wheel area, but he wouldnt have it (rightly so).

I believe you need the original wing in as complete a state as possibly, and then the outer wing is a 'flare' and you cn chop and change that almost as much as you like.

If im honest, i think he was a stickler, bordering on the pedantic as id added 2 x almost whole rear wings over the originals, but the originals pribably had 2"-3" clearance releived over stock. I never thought about it, just merrily chopped away plenty of clearance :roll:

As it was it didnt affect me adversley, as i was able to get a Nat A open licence suitable for sports libre, so the car was logged booked as libre and not mod prod

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:19 am

Someone has the rear wings for a guess, Jim, Phil A or Nick K? I did renove a bit more material if i recall to allow the air ducting from forward wing aperture to rear radiator duct. Will see if i can find old pics

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by reliant-reviver » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:01 am

I had them for a while before I think Jim K ended up with them?
29042011325.jpg
29042011325.jpg (207.2 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Only pic I have on file.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by scimjim » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:24 am

Don’t think I have them? Daryl had the bonnet and nose off me recently but I still have the chassis as a mock up tool.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philhoward
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by philhoward » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:37 am

Nick K possibly?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by reliant-reviver » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:51 am

Well they didn't just grow wings and fly away.....

:wink:
Terrible pun

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by nickkeyser » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:35 pm

I had the doors, diffuser, and roof; but not the rear wings...

SSSC Champion 2019

SS1 CVH 1600Ti

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:45 am

So yesterday was the big dyno day, both of us have been very nervous for a while now and were fully expecting something to go wrong given the untested gearbox/ clutch package, freshly built hybrid engine and past form ie Omex screwing us over with injector 4, issues with the engine build, Covid etc. First issue a day before the dyno the transport guy drops the bombshell that his missus has booked them a weekend away and he can only take us but not bring us back, more on this later. The day finally comes and the driver is 40 minutes late :oops: luckily the car went on easily enough and we made it in one piece:

On arrival at ChipWizards Wayne the owner immediately says "oh I used to race against one of these in the late 80s" what I didnt know about Wayne prior to this is that hes an avid compie and has been for decades, even cooler it turns out that the SS1 he was referring to was the legendary Graham Walker SS1. we wheeled the car into the dyno cell and spent longer than we should have discussing all things sprinting and eventually got onto aero and suspension setup and it became immediately obvious that this guy is impressive and he had alot of advice to give. He has worked on all sorts in a professional capacity, F1, group C, DTM, another quote "you will struggle to find an M3 touring car that I have not worked on" Porsche even send museum cars to him when they have ECU issues that even they cant fix! Recently a Porsche GT1 and he said that hes due to take delivery of a 959 soon for the same treatment, hes also worked for Porsche motorsport directly too so I was immediately put at ease. We got talking about sprint cars that hes built and onto his current bonkers Hyabusa powered Suzuki Cappucino, F1 suspension components including uprights, so cool 8) :

We sat and watched from the waiting room while he did the obvious checks, static timing, leaks and anything that might be considered dangerous, the only issue being that the timing was a few degrees out:

Unfortunately once he started running the car higher in the rev range during fuelling setup a pronounced miss fire developed north of 5,000 rpm, he stopped and pulled the plugs, narrowed the gap which didnt really improve things much, eventually the culprit was found to be the crank sensor flopping about, the sensor mount is solid, easily enough to lift the engine on but the sensor itself in Ford applications is designed to sit within a tube not just clamped with one bolt, he did a few more pulls with the same issue and suddenly we lost the clutch and as a result that was pretty much as far as we got, we think that the concentric slave has over extended and the seals have popped out spewing clutch fluid on the floor so we have purchased one better suited to the job, unfortunately it means taking the car apart again but thankfully we do have those velcro engine mounts to help us along! Now lets discuss the elephant in the room, what did it make? ..... we did record one of the runs but there are several things to point out (yes you could call them excuses) firstly he was still in the process of sorting out the fuelling and as such hadnt increased the boost beyond wastegate pressure which is currently 10psi, secondly there was that missfire and lastly it turned out that we had a reasonable boost leak between the base plate of the plenum and the inlet runners so yes that is getting welded right up, but ultimately 250.8bhp at the flywheel and 222.7BHP at the wheels which is a whole 13 more than we had last year at the flywheel, every cloud has a silver lining and excitingly there seems to be alot more to come so 250 is a nice starting point:

gif image hosting

Lastly but definitely not least Mr Ben Curry came to our rescue and returned the car home, I cant thank him enough and I owe him many favours, what a hero!

So, next steps, Wayne suggested we get some cooler plugs, he wasnt happy with BCPR7ES, I need to rip and separate the engine and box, we might need a new friction plate given it could be contaminated with fluid its rated at 300ft/lbs so now might be a good time to fit something beefier, the induction side will be going back to the fabrication shop to sort that boost leak and dad needs to weld a tube onto the crank sensor bracket to stop it flopping around. Wayne said he will only need a couple of hours on it and even offered to do it for free! I declined his offer though, he deserves to be paid.

Crouchie_b
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Crouchie_b » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:19 pm

NGK 4895 R7435-8 Spark Plugs or NGK BKR8EIX?

Crouchie_b

Modified SS1 Ti - Just Plain Silly https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopic.php?t=26204
SST - Mission Improbable... https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopic.php?t=846

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Dcrosby13 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Not sure yet, hes asked me to ping him a message.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:33 pm

Great work Chaps 8) its not some warmed over euro box, theres lots of fabrication, non original bits and potential for the F**k Fairy so i wouldnt be disheartened. Repair and regroup and go again 8)
Last edited by CNHSS1 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:40 pm

You shouldnt need 8s, but if you want to try them, just use BCPR8ES. Other variants are just more trick materials really for longevity, wornt run any different on new above or new iridiums or multi prong, although may stop drop off in performnace in 3000 miles.
Tbh i use the std plugs and change regularly, modern plugs don't ever recover from being fouled, so esepcially whilst mapping where rich running or out of kilter timing, pointless putting 40 quids worth of pkugs in to foul.

Ref 8s, i ran them in my CVH racer, but on cold spring/autumn events it would barely start on them, so ended up starting and warming on std 6s then swapping plugs, proper faff. With ecu management once its mapped it *should* be tight enough parameters to start ok and run up, youll just have to see, few sets of plugs in the race box isnt a bad thing

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:50 pm

I use the EIX range (7’s) after silly misfire issues in the early days:

https://www.jdmgarageuk.com/engine/serv ... plugs.html

I have to say JDM garage were very helpful with advice on the most suitable for my RB25DET.

Don’t be too upset, the cars a credit to Poppa Crosby and you. You will defo get there! 8)

JC

Corky
RSSOC Member

G130 YCF sprint car

Post by Corky » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Great work fellas!!!!

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Return to “Project Progress”