SS1 Racer - C686CCR

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

philhoward
RSSOC Member

SS1 Racer - C686CCR

Post by philhoward » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:40 am

Corky wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:35 am
Are they lending you the Super Coupe?
That's the plan...I think JKL would scare the hell out of me :mrgreen:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

MikeyBikey

SS1 Racer - C686CCR

Post by MikeyBikey » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:52 am

Hi Phil, reread the blog from the supercharger forward, great stuff.

Although I’ve now slept and forgotten everything. !

Does the throttle body sit before the charger intake or between charger output and engine ?

I’ve been thinking a lot about charging my Y32SE but the actual V configuration heads almost rule out the side charger location so the other option is somehow integrate with the plenum. Hence query about throttle bodies

Is we sideways yet...

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

SS1 Racer - C686CCR

Post by efi_sprintgte » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:04 am

MikeyBikey wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:52 am
I’ve been thinking a lot about charging my Y32SE
Step away from the super charger Mikey.. :lol: :w

JC

philhoward
RSSOC Member

SS1 Racer - C686CCR

Post by philhoward » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:28 am

3 ways of doing it, Mikey - throttle pre-charger (Mini Cooper S and possibly Jag), post-charger (but you need a very large bypass valve like Mercedes use and how I've gone) or the way the MX-5 boys do and fit 2 throttle bodies...an additional one pre-charger which is slaved off the regular one with a second cable. This is because "they" chose to use the Mini one (so all of the off-the-shelf brackets fit them), then work round the problems. A lot of newer builds by those who know one end of a spanner from the other seem to be using the Merc one nowadays (availability and condition probably plays a big part) - but many are still not using the bypass valve that's ready and waiting. Probably because it needs driving electrically - it's actually a DBW throttle assembly (like was fitted to the Y32SE engine originally) but defaults open rather than closed. They (the MX5 crew) try to move the throttle pre-charger but there's too much volume what with an intercooler and a couple of metres of pipework so there's big issues with surging and an inability to hold a stable idle. Those applications with a pre-charger throttle have only a short run between charger and the actual heads - chargecoolers helping here built into the manifold too.

You could go side mounted charger but it would need to be a centrifugal one like is used on Big Bob and I've no idea where you could squeeze it in! Downside of those is they're not a constant displacement device, so you don't get full boost until you've got several revs on the dial. They're basically a belt driven turbo but they're a lot more compact.

You'll probably be OK with something like an M90 or if you're feeling brave an M112 charger mounted instead of the top plenum - check the compressor maps for them first. You might find the 90 working at the top of its envelope and the 112 at the bottom of its but check the power draw and more importantly the efficiency (and if you can find the map, the dT, or temperature rise). Logic states I should be using an M62 on mine - efficiency is a lot better but the M45 (M65) is more readily available, a bit smaller and 1/3rd the price :mrgreen:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

SS1 Racer - C686CCR

Post by philhoward » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:30 am

Oh - if you're only having a low boost (4-5psi), you can probably get away without an intercooler/chargecooler anyway. Before you say "is it even worth it", that's roughly a 30% rise in torque...and hence bhp.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

SS1 Racer - C686CCR

Post by philhoward » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:31 am

efi_sprintgte wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:04 am
MikeyBikey wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:52 am
I’ve been thinking a lot about charging my Y32SE
Step away from the super charger Mikey.. :lol: :w
I do dread to think what might happen... :mrgreen:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

Return to “Project Progress”