A New Project. The Pale Green 'Womble' SS1

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Barrie James
RSSOC Member

Re: A New Project. The Pale Green 'Womble' SS1

Post by Barrie James » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Mateybass wrote:Re headlamp pods raising/lowering: If you mean the little red button on the right of the steering wheel - -
The little red button is a little blue button on this one. The owner was quite specific in his instructions of how to operate the headlamps, so it may be that someone had made modifications over the years. There are quite a few odd wires hanging around here and there I suspect that, as usual, there have been additions and subtractions to the electrics by one or more of the six previous owners.

Barrie.
2000 MGF Wedgwood SE
2002 Peugeot Partner 1400
RSSOC 2778

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:16 pm

Barrie James wrote:
Mateybass wrote:Re headlamp pods raising/lowering: If you mean the little red button on the right of the steering wheel - -
The little red button is a little blue button on this one. The owner was quite specific in his instructions of how to operate the headlamps, so it may be that someone had made modifications over the years. There are quite a few odd wires hanging around here and there I suspect that, as usual, there have been additions and subtractions to the electrics by one or more of the six previous owners.
Sounds like someone has modded the lights as a blue button is not factory fit :? ....the little red button is probably still there and may or may not be connected. Its an overload in case the pods jam and protects the motors. Its above your right knee on the underside of the dash...you press it to reset the system

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Will Anderson wrote: One day I will get a drive in a SS1 to see what all the fuss is about! :D
No fuss just FUN, in capitals, :wink:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 ( .. . EVU & . . . . CDC)
Regal 330 (VAV ---) now passed to another 'keen owner'

Barrie James
RSSOC Member

Post by Barrie James » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:24 pm

Alan SS1 wrote:No fuss just FUN, in capitals, :wink:
I couldn't agree more, I intended to give the car a good inspection and clean today, but couldn't resist taking it for a spin beforehand. An hour later I returned and my wife said I looked like the cat that got the cream.

I did make up for lost time though and have given the car a good clean and have treated the vinyl, rubbers and headlamp pods to a good going-over with Armor All. A closer inspection of the paintwork shows that a lot of the panels have badly deteriorated lacquer, which may respond to flatting off and re-doing. The headlamp panel and the boot lid need doing completely. The headlamp panel because the paint is badly deteriorated and the boot lid because it's the wrong colour. In addition I have to keep working on ANG my 6a to ensure she's ready for the Wedding next September.

I also found that the brake light repeater mounted in the spoiler has a couple of wires coming from it, so I'll give it a test and, if it works, I'll connect it to the brake light circuit.
Attachments
Prize SS1 - 7.jpg
Prize SS1 - 7.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 2012 times

Barrie.
2000 MGF Wedgwood SE
RSSOC 2778

Barrie James
RSSOC Member

Post by Barrie James » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:59 pm

swoakes wrote:Sounds like someone has modded the lights as a blue button is not factory fit :? ....the little red button is probably still there and may or may not be connected. Its an overload in case the pods jam and protects the motors. Its above your right knee on the underside of the dash...you press it to reset the system
I've had a good look, someone has modded it the blue button faces back and is below where the red one was. There is just a hole and a couple of screws on the underside where the red button should be.

First hiccup on Monday, off shopping and decided to take the SS1 rather than the Agila and after a couple of miles the alternator belt gave out. Battery's in good order so I risked going on and then home as it was only about five miles. Too late for QRG to post that day, but ordered one. On Tuesday, called in at our local garage on the off-chance. They had an NOS one to fit at the back of the store room. Fitted in 10 minutes of me arriving all for "a donation in the charity box". The QRG one arrived yesterday so I now have the spare I should have had in the first place.

The owner of the garage is a very useful person to know. The GTE will be up on his lift in a few weeks for the suspension to be stripped and re-bushed. A very interesting chap too, very keen on 4 x 4s and cross-country vehicles, he has a couple of Land Rovers and an ex-RN Bombardier as well as a couple of modified Suzuki Jimnys. He also appears as a film extra driving all kinds of exotic military vehicles. I make a regular Tuesday afternoon visit for tea and motoring chat while my wife is at her Art Club.

Barrie.
2000 MGF Wedgwood SE
RSSOC 2778

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:24 pm

One of the handy things with the SS1, I think, is that if the alternator belt fails you don't get an almost simultaneous boiling event, due to the loss of the waterpump, like you do on the GTE.

Well done on buying the car, and discovering one of the unsung secrets of the world of sportscars :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Barrie James
RSSOC Member

Post by Barrie James » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:12 pm

I'm beginning to discover all sorts of niggles. The Driving side quarter light wobbles a bit and looks as though it may need a bit of welding. Both door cards are missing the mounting screws and the driving door handle only works right at the end of the travel. The centre dash panel, which the owner had taken off to disconnect the alarm hasn't been removed properly, and looks as though the screws have been levered out. The heater control levers have been badly bent, the gear lever gaiter, which was in the boot, has been pulled off rather than prising the press studs off; there is a rather tatty black plastic one replacing it at present. There is also only one of the mounting screws for the hood, minus the 'wavey' washers. Fortunately Reliant Partsworld have all the bits in stock so, with a bit of luck, I'll be able to tackle some of the jobs over the weekend. Leonard Brooks have the Tarn Green paint in stock, so I'll be able to do a bit of fettling, I'd like to do a re-spray at some time, but no budget at present.

Barrie.
2000 MGF Wedgwood SE
RSSOC 2778

Barrie James
RSSOC Member

Post by Barrie James » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:34 pm

Down to St Catherine's Lighthouse this afternoon, my last one this year. Lovely day so I took the SS1, I was a bit worried about the journey down the lane to the lighthouse as it has suffered from ground movement. Very unstable the land at St Catherine's Point. Careful driving got me to the bottom though.

I have been doing a lot of fiddly things as I check through the car. The heater blower didn't work so I checked the fuses to find it blown. A quick call to our local garage and a couple were left for me to collect as I passed on my way to the lighthouse. When I went to fit it I decided to check all the fuses. To my surprise I found the cooling fan fuse was only connected on one side as the connector had fallen through the fitting. When I got the fuse holder off I could see that someone had fiddled with it in the past. However, careful use of the small blade on my penknife reshaped it and pushed out the fixing lugs. I was very pleased when I heard a distinct click as I re-seated it. So, I should now have a working fan: just as well the weather has been on the cold side and I haven't been in any long traffic jams.

The journey home, proved that there was no output from the O/S demister, a quick check showed that there is a corrugated plastic pipe hanging down under the dashboard, but I couldn't feel any connection point. I couldn't see a thing as it was too dark, so I'll have to have another go in the daylight. The manual doesn't cover the heater and the parts list shows the components but I have no idea how to access them. Do I remove the centre console to do so? Any advice will be most welcome.

In the meantime I attach some more photos.
Attachments
P1000395 (450x600).jpg
P1000395 (450x600).jpg (140.91 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
P1000394 (450x600).jpg
P1000394 (450x600).jpg (125.87 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
P1000398 (600x450).jpg
P1000398 (600x450).jpg (144.46 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
Last edited by Barrie James on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barrie.
2000 MGF Wedgwood SE
RSSOC 2778

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Green ss1 on ebay

Post by scimjim » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:49 pm

Was the pipe by your left knee? If so, that's the drivers footwell supply (passengers is just a hole in the heater box :-)) - the dash and screen vents are all supplied via the same type of tube. I'd check the heater box end first in case it's dropped off there?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Barrie James
RSSOC Member

Post by Barrie James » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:28 pm

scimjim wrote:Was the pipe by your left knee? If so, that's the drivers footwell supply (passengers is just a hole in the heater box :-)) - the dash and screen vents are all supplied via the same type of tube. I'd check the heater box end first in case it's dropped off there?
It appears to come from the demister vent and bends towards the centre, so I suspect it must have come adrift. I've got to sort-out the centre console anyway, so I think I'll leave it until I do that.

I find I'm running two threads on this at present, this one and the other entitled "A New Project. The Pale Green" Womble" SS1". Apologies, could someone merge them please?
Last edited by Barrie James on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barrie.
2000 MGF Wedgwood SE
RSSOC 2778

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi Barrie, I've merged the two threads, hope that's ok.

Nice photos, the car looks good! :D

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Barrie James
RSSOC Member

Post by Barrie James » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:45 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:Hi Barrie, I've merged the two threads, hope that's ok.

Nice photos, the car looks good! :D
Thanks Roger, yes the car looks really good in the photographs. But, as usual, they're not the whole story. The car is basically sound, but had been standing for nearly five years when the previous owner acquired it. He did just enough to get it through the MOT, and then seemed to have given-up on it. Still it's great fun to drive and I'm slowly working my way through the problems as, and when, they occur. I'll do as much as I can this year but I expect to have to wait until the spring before I can really get stuck-in. I've also got my SE6a to get back on the road for my son's wedding in September. No pressure then.

Barrie.
2000 MGF Wedgwood SE
RSSOC 2778

Barrie James
RSSOC Member

Post by Barrie James » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Has anyone any idea of the colour of my SS1? I was under the impression that it was 'Tarn Green' but, following a conversation with John Unwin, I suspect it may not be. Matt, Is Yvonne's in 'Tarn Green'?

The colour is a very pale green metallic, could it possibly be 'Crystal Green' used '86 - '88?

Barrie.
2000 MGF Wedgwood SE
RSSOC 2778

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:58 am

If it's the original paint, and a standard SS1 colour, then the answer may be in the chassis number. It's the 8&9th characters (including the "SCD" at the beginning). Tarn Green would be "82", Crystal Green isn't in the list in the Wiki, here so would presumably be a "99" colour?

....Roger

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:23 am

Evie's car is tarn green (82 code) because I supplied a bonnet for it - but yours is 76 (which I can't find listed at the moment) and appears to be the only 76 on the database?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Project Progress”