Just Plain Silly!

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Crouchie_b
RSSOC Member

Just Plain Silly!

Post by Crouchie_b » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Well its 6 weeks since I won Jimmy's black SS1 Ti on the e-bay auction and 4 weeks since i picked it up. So it's about time to start a project thread and update on progress.
A bit of back ground to start off with...
I own a white SST that was pretty well known around the SSSC a few years back originally competing as a proper road going cat which was driven to the circuit and driven hard before it was driven home. As I improved it as a track car it got more & more competitive and was picking up pots on a fairly regular basis. Eventually the track improvements lead to the car being trailered to events as it was less drivable on the road. The shorter & stiffer spring rates meant speed bumps being crawled over at walking pace and anything less than a perfectly smooth road tending to loosen fillings!
Finally the car was taken off the road for a winter upgrade for an attack on the championship under the old Modified Production rules. Unfortunately this process has spiralled out of control & its now been 5 years since it saw a track. Even more ironically if i'd waited a year, SSSC adopted the MSA regs which would have suited the SST perfectly!
Anyway 'Mission Improbable' has been turned into a huge plug & is now waiting for space in the garage at Pete Brown's Skunk Works so we can build the single piece lift off front end with the refurbished chop gun we have.
The 5 year hiatus has lead to a growing itch which has eventually lead to the e-bay purchase of F795LLG without seeing it! Jimmy was very honest & open on the phone and a e-mail conversation confirmed that the ad was pretty straight so the grand sum of £1325 was handed over and the car driven onto the trailer (using the starter motor) before a long trip back from London.
The car was sold with the following known faults:
• No MOT
• The headlamps would continuously operate and wouldn't pack in either raised or lowered positions.
• Serious fuel leak on the return line
• poor paint work
• No antifreeze in the cooling system.
It also had some nice bits such as:
• new battery
• new re-cored radiator
• recon engine with only 30K since cam belt, water pump etc
• new front lower wish bones
• new front & rear springs
• new avo adjustable shocks front & rear#
• new rain tyres
• rebuild steering rack
• roll hoop & wind deflector
• good vinyl soft top
• seats recovered in Connolly leather
• a 2" thick file of all the bills & history for the 11 years Jimmy had owned it!
Attachments
interior.JPG
interior.JPG (131.62 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
engine.JPG
engine.JPG (180.3 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
os fq.JPG
os fq.JPG (131.98 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
Last edited by Crouchie_b on Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crouchie_b

Modified SS1 Ti - Just Plain Silly https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopic.php?t=26204
SST - Mission Improbable... https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopic.php?t=846

Nick

Re: Building the Hot Hatch Hunter

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:41 pm

Sounds a cracking base for a Roadgoing Sprinter!

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

Crouchie_b
RSSOC Member

Cont: Building the Hot Hatch Hunter

Post by Crouchie_b » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Having got it back from London the first job was fuel lines.

Searching through the history turned up a bill for the same job from a London based garage but when I looked it over there were leaks from the fuel rail to return plastic line & a less serious one at the tank to filler breather.

As they were all the same age, I replaced all the rubber lines with fresh and the return plastic with new .

The headlamp fuse was pulled, the lights wound up, the hand brake adjusted and she was booked in for an MOT with fingers crossed - The Result ---A pass with no advises!

So now on to the real work.

The inspiration for the car has always been to have a fast B road blaster that will surprise the yoot in their Nova's, 106's or whatever they are currently 'slamming' or whatever its called now (I know I'm getting old :roll: ). I want the car I had when I first started developing the SST, properly quick off the mark, good through the twisty bits but not so harsh that it knock your fillings out!

Craig Hughes' Hot Hatch Hunter article was always a great guide and most of the info he shared in the early days of the SST development is written up there on http://www.SS1Turbo.co.uk, hence the choice of title.

Next on the list will be the upgrades to suspension & handling.

Thanks for reading!

Crouchie_b

Modified SS1 Ti - Just Plain Silly https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopic.php?t=26204
SST - Mission Improbable... https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopic.php?t=846

ptscim

Post by ptscim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Brian, looks good mate :D good luck with it.

Phill.
(Leadfoot Morgan!)
RSSOC Speed championship competitor.
GTE mod prod class.
Present 5a.
Previous 2x 5a's, 6a and a competition prepared Se5.

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:56 pm

That sir sounds like a plan!

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!

Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

scimmy ben

Post by scimmy ben » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:14 am

Not often you see a CA18ET with the pop off valve still present.

Is that a passenger side boost gauge?

choughton

Post by choughton » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:01 pm

Looking good Brian. Interiors very smart 8)

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:00 pm

I love those seats !

The rest of the car aint bad either.....

MOT passed, Sounds like it's ready to compete at Curbs then :D

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 pm

I love this project, and I'm sure you'll execute it perfectly. A warmed up ss1 with fast road tweeks. What's not to love! It's somthing I've considered a lot, and 98% needs to stay standard to keep the charm and ease to live with.
Corky wrote:Sounds like it's ready to compete at Curbs then :D
There's a lot of peer pressure to be out at curbs!

What ever happens, we should get a pic of two black ss1's next to each other on lattice wheels.

SSSC Champion 2019

SS1 CVH 1600Ti

Crouchie_b
RSSOC Member

Post by Crouchie_b » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:06 pm

The first thing to address was the suspension and braking.

The car was almost standard in this department with the exception of the AVO's & some upper wish bone poly bushes, so the first step was to use my spares from 'the shelf' and strengthen.

At the front, I had a spare pair of upper wishbones which I braced with some 1" box section steel from the rearward upper bushing mount up to the point that the shock mounts to and welded it in place.

This triangulates the loads from the damper into the whole wishbone assembly rather than the standard design which introduces a twisting moment in the wishbone. The modified ones already have the strengthening plate underneath inboard of the top ball joint mount so with the addition of the box these should now be able to handle the size of the pot-holes on our local B roads.

I carried out the same mod on the SST with some thin wall desk rail as it was lighter and this was tested with the much higher loads of stiffer springs, harder shocks & the stickier rubber that we use on track. They still look perfect, but with the HH Hunter being a road car weight is not such a consideration, and the 1" box was lying on the bench at the time, so it was nailed on!

After that they where powder coated and are now ready for the bushes to be added.
Attachments
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (327.26 KiB) Viewed 4218 times

Crouchie_b

Crouchie_b
RSSOC Member

Post by Crouchie_b » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:19 pm

nickkeyser wrote:I love this project, and I'm sure you'll execute it perfectly. A warmed up ss1 with fast road tweeks. What's not to love! It's somthing I've considered a lot, and 98% needs to stay standard to keep the charm and ease to live with.
Exactly my point in doing it, the 2% may be a bit low but you can achieve alot with some subtle tweaks on the SS1. :wink:
nickkeyser wrote:
Corky wrote:Sounds like it's ready to compete at Curbs then :D
There's a lot of peer pressure to be out at curbs!
- not really...I'm immune to the stuff now after years of gentle banter from 'the old loaf hauler' & the likes of Craig, Paul & Ben back in the days :lol:
nickkeyser wrote:What ever happens, we should get a pic of two black ss1's next to each other on lattice wheels.
ATM the paint is awful so it'll have to wait for another day I'm afraid, especially as I'm unlikely to be at Curborough this year again.

Crouchie_b

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Powder coat...*tart* ;-)

Edit:
Some gentle banter to make you feel one of the gang again Crouchie :-)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Crouchie_b
RSSOC Member

Post by Crouchie_b » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:56 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:Powder coat...*tart* ;-)
its the Cheshire influence from the other side of the M62!
CNHSS1 wrote: Edit:
Some gentle banter to make you feel one of the gang again Crouchie :-)
See told ya!

Crouchie_b

Crouchie_b
RSSOC Member

Post by Crouchie_b » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:09 pm

At the rear another mod carried out on the SST was used which was to band the trailing arms.

This involves welding a 1" wide, 2mm thick steel band around the end where the hub mounting plate is welded to the end of the arm. It's this point which can tear under extreme side loads (mainly on track but a slide sideways into a curb will do it!) so it is as well the strengthen while I had the spares and the welder out.

More power-coating to finish!
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (368.92 KiB) Viewed 4184 times

Crouchie_b

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:56 pm

Ooofff nice work liking the cheshire wishbones and trailing arms! Must sort the SST front wishbones out!

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!

Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

Return to “Project Progress”