SE6a Omega Quad cam 24 Valve 3.0L V6 upgrade!

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Burtle

SE6a Omega Quad cam 24 Valve 3.0L V6 upgrade!

Post by Burtle » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Well I guess it's time for me to start a project progress thread.

A while back I got a 1979 SE6a auto in special order black, this was bought with the soul intention of being entered into the Practical Performance Car magazines £999 challenge at Mallory Park at the end of May. I decided the car needed a little more power and would suit a more modern engine well.

The cheapest power I could find was the 3.0L V6 Vauxhall Omega's, these have 210BHP and 200lbs/ft. The Vauxhall engine is a nice compact engine having a 54° V is only a little wider than the Essex. It's also exactly the same height and a little shorter, it's also lighter having aluminium heads.

A standard 3.0L Omega weighs 1550kg or 1.7ton yet with this engine it does 0 to 60 in 8 seconds and keeps going to 150mph!

I managed to get my self an ex police Omega estate for £270. The police spec comes with a more rare 5 speed manual box, this is a real bonus. It's a very short box with an easily adjustable gear linkage that can be made to fit the scim with little hassle. I am also amazed at how light this gear box is. I weighed it having single handedly lifted it out of the car through the engine bay. This box is only 40kg or 88lbs in old money. That's got to be a huge saving over the old auto.

Right time for some pics.

This is the Scimitar and the police Omega.

The Scimitar's engine bay standard.

The Omega's engine bay standard.

This is how much stuff I had to dig out to get to the front of the engine. Everything is labled with masking tape so I stand some chance of getting it all back together in the right order.

The amount of electrics that will need transferring is immense. Again everything is labelled. Everything on top the engine is disconnected electrical loom’s.

Finally it gave up the engine. It took a whole day of stripping to get this far.

Sat on the floor with gear box placed behind.

Again on the floor. It's a very compact engine and box.

Just the electrical bits to remove from the car now.

Next up.

Because of the amount of cooling this engine needs the spare is going to have to reside in the boot.

Well that’s the storey so far. I'll treat you to another up date next weekend when hopefully the Scimitar engine and box will be out and the Omega engine and box will be offered up to see what needs moving.

Cheers
Nath
Last edited by Burtle on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:27 pm

Don't forget the remains of the immobiliser circuit from the Omega - aerial in the vacinity of the steering column and (if you're not using the Omega steering lock) keep the keys....as the chip in the ignition key is coded to the ECU. Think you might also need the Immobiliser ECU as well to keep it happy.

P.S. I've got an Omega - omegaowners.com is a darned good forum with friendly people if you need any advice - plus there's a couple of Scimmy owners on there too!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Good work Nath, glad someone's doing it :D The GTE looks good in black too!
Will the Omega rad fit in the front of the GTE?

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

Burtle

Post by Burtle » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:33 pm

philhoward wrote:Don't forget the remains of the immobiliser circuit from the Omega - aerial in the vacinity of the steering column and (if you're not using the Omega steering lock) keep the keys....as the chip in the ignition key is coded to the ECU. Think you might also need the Immobiliser ECU as well to keep it happy.

P.S. I've got an Omega - omegaowners.com is a darned good forum with friendly people if you need any advice - plus there's a couple of Scimmy owners on there too!
Yep, keys and immobiliser are going to be kept. An immobiliser is a nice thing to have on the Scim anyway.

There's also the compressor and vacuum air pumps to transfer, and if I want the omega speedo to work in the scim I'll need to transfer the abs computer and sensors. I've also got an ecu reader coming

I've also registered on the Omega forum and as you say they are a great resource.

Cheers
Nath
Last edited by Burtle on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Burtle

Post by Burtle » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:35 pm

Raz987 wrote:Good work Nath, glad someone's doing it :D The GTE looks good in black too!
Will the Omega rad fit in the front of the GTE?
I'll need to cut a little fibreglass out the way, but only an inch either side. The rad is also the full height of the engine bay so the spare tyre will have to go in the boot.

Nath

guardsbrigade

Post by guardsbrigade » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:36 pm

So far so good Nath,don't envy you that mass of cable and relays though !.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:42 pm

Burtle wrote: Yep, keys and immobiliser are going to be kept. An immobiliser is a nice thing to have on the Scim anyway.
Very much so..
Burtle wrote: There's also the compressor and vacuum air pumps to transfer, and if I wan the omega speedo to work in the scim I'll need to transfer the abs computer and sensors. I've also got an ecu reader coming
The only compressor i know of is the aircon one - unless you mean the SAI blower under the headlight? Leave it off, but keep the solenoid/flying saucer connected otherwise the ECU throws up a fault.

Don't think you'll need an ECU reader - just sorting out the two wires which do the "paperclip" test from the ECU will do it (plus adding an EML light).

You intending using the Omega instrument pack?
Burtle wrote: I've also registered on the Omega forum and as you say they are a great resource.

Cheers
Nath
They are - they were very helpful to a chap with one in a VW bus/pickup! You signed up yet, Raz?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Burtle

Post by Burtle » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:47 pm

philhoward wrote:You intending using the Omega instrument pack?
Well I can't see how else to get a working speedo, so yes I'll use all the omega controls.

Nath

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi Nath I will be keeping an eye on your progress as that should make one quick car. Something to keep in mind as it an ex police car is that some of the bits for the car maybe non standard so keep the chassis & engine no handy

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... =20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

Burtle

Post by Burtle » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:00 pm

GEMINI BOB wrote:Hi Nath I will be keeping an eye on your progress as that should make one quick car. Something to keep in mind as it an ex police car is that some of the bits for the car maybe non standard so keep the chassis & engine no handy
Thanks Bob, I am intending to keep the Omega until the Scimitar is running and has passed an MOT. Then I'll weigh it in but keep as much data on the car as possible. As you say it may be required if I need to get parts in the future.

Cheers
Nath

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Burtle wrote:
philhoward wrote:You intending using the Omega instrument pack?
Well I can't see how else to get a working speedo, so yes I'll use all the omega controls.

Nath
What about a standalone speedo?:
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_in ... s_id=13584

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:35 pm

The engine ECU needs a speed sensor input as well I think- but that Vapor one is the same sort of thing as Craigs Acewell (and the one i haven't fitted yet).

You can get one which looks identical to the stock 6a one - but reads upto 170mph from memory! Uses a "universal" sensor which picks up from either magnets or bolt heads on anything moving (i.e. prop, gearbox output flange)..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:16 am

have an Acewell in current racer and had the Vapor in the old racer
work well actually

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

MightyMite

Post by MightyMite » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:17 pm

:D

I'm still in the accumulating funds part of my Se5a Cosworth project :lol:

1994 Saab 9000CD
1980 Land Rover Series 3, 200tdi, chunky tyres, winch, full MOT-FOR SALE-

Se5/5a wanted, PM me

stewb

Post by stewb » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Thank god somebody is actually finally doing this conversion!!

I think i'd be tempted to junk the std ems & go for something aftermarket, megasquirt would be a nice cheap setup & you already have all of the GM hardware that MS was designed around....That would let you loose the Cats too which has to be worth 10% alone....

Most factory EMS systems use road speed but it depends what it actually impacts upon (idle speed control for sure but there can be many). If you keep the ABS ECU then you'll need wheel speed signals too (think they are on the diff rear housing) & in the front hubs so that won't be easy. Try it wuthout & go from there - you can always add bits!!

I'd hope the engine is a lot lighter than the Essex too (Essex always carried the handicap of the redundant balancer shaft supports from the V4 derivative).

It looks much faster in the photos!!

Good work chap & keep it up.

Stew

Ex Owner of MK2 Scimitar Sabre CA18DET
'69 Tuscan V8 project which wasn't meant to be a project....
Capri 2.8 Injection Special
'09 GTM Libra - Honda K20 VTEC

"if you do something to be impressive rather than good, you're doomed" - Spen King

Return to “Project Progress”