Early SE5 stateside

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Early SE5 stateside

Post by Stephenl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:00 pm

I am going to do various jobs on my car soon so thought I would get a thread in this section, to post my inevitable stupid questions.

Firstly, any tips for seperating the exhaust manifold from the exhaust? the whole thing is off the car and I have got the rear section off but the frontmost silencer sectuion will not come apart from the manifold section. Heat, pentrating fluid and hammers have been apllied. Any tips?

Having removed the manifold from the cylinder heads there is a bit of corrosion on the manifold fce. Should I get this skimmed by a machine shop or will a clean up, some paste and new gaskets "seal" the deal?

'69 SE5

Gillsfan

Re: Early SE5 stateside

Post by Gillsfan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Welcome to the forum Stephen

Steve

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about

1969 SE 5 Manual O/D Rat Rod
RSSOC Jaffa cakes in a minute champion

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:10 pm

I just had the same getting apart problem with the GTC - in the end I had to cut down the pipe with an angle grinder and open it up to free it - believe it or not the front pipe was a good 9" into the silencer pipe - no wonder it would not come apart. Cut a length off the front pipe and welded up the silencer pipe to fit. I would try cleaning up the manifold face before spending money on it when you may not have to.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:13 pm

try breaking the corrosion with rotational movement - increasing torque with a pipe wrench or oil filter strap may help?

difficult to tell from the pic but I'd file it by hand myself - skim it if it's warped while it's all off and you have easy access to a machine shop.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

windy

Post by windy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Most of the problem with exhausts is the lack of anything rough enough to grip onto, so sometimes I find it easier to weld a piece of bar onto either side, hammer & twist the pieces free then angle grind the bars off when the job is done.

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:49 am

Thanks. My main reason, aprt from to clean everything up, in taking it apart is so the manifold CAN be taken to a machine shop. I think the file idea might be a good start so I will give that a go. Finding a decent machine shop and time are my main problems right now so anything that doesn't involve driving anywhere is a big bonus.
Right now I have 80f temperatures where I live at the coast, if I go inland where there are car type shops rather than beach type shops it all gets a bit desert like and very very hot! best avoided this time of year!

'69 SE5

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:19 am

So, I went for the file idea and that seems to have done the job well enough. The manifold is all wrapped and the stainless exhaust polished so one side looks pretty presentable; I think the noisy side is the other though; that is next on the list.

'69 SE5

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:04 am

OK, so it happened. On the other side one of the manifold bolts has sheared. It is flush so nothing to grip and no spare thread to get a shorter bolt into. Nightmare. It is the centre upper one. I can't see getting in there with a drill is going to happen. So........

-Remove the head and start a whole new world of pain but do a proper job (this would see the car off the road, realistically, at least 2 months more likely 6)?
-Put it back with 5 bolts and hope it seals?

Any other options here?

'69 SE5

Gillsfan

Post by Gillsfan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:17 am

Lots and lots of pen oil, heat it up more pen oil then try and easy out. Make sure you drill the correct size hole for the easy out. If that fails drill out the bolt, oversize the hole and fit an helicoil, again check the drill size before over sizing. Well that is what I would do.

Steve

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 am

You can get right angle drill attachments which should make it possible to drill in the space available if you are lucky.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:59 am

Is there any chance you could get a drill in by removing the front wheel, followed by the wheel arch splash shield (may need cutting on a 5?) then going in that way?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:51 am

OK, thanks gents.

Here is the offending area, not very clear but difficult to photograph in teh dark upside down!

So, I have got one of these, bought at an autojumble some time, is it for this sort of job? Starting off the hole? I thought it might be of use and OF COURSE after two years of seeing it all the time but never needing it..... I couldn't find it when i did want it but I got there in the end.

And finally, today's purchase.

Bought from these lads; worth a browse as they have loads of really interesting stuff at low low prices. Not a bad find to get just what I wantedfor a quick spin over in my lunch hour.
http://www.harborfreight.com/#

How does heat help here though? Surely this is an area that gets pretty hot all the time so any rust bond has lots of chances to be broken by heat??

'69 SE5

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:55 am

Oh, and the wheel arch shield thing is totally in the way. It would be a big pain to cut it out and then glass back in and I am not that sure it would give good access anyway.

'69 SE5

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 am

That looks like a centre drill - used on lathes normally but usually a very strong bit so handy for making the starting pilot hole.

Heat always helps...and what you will add with a blowtorch will be above what it gets to in normal operation.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Gillsfan

Post by Gillsfan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 am

Yep that is a centre drill as used on lathes, milling machines and pillar drills. As Phil says used to start holes, because they don't flex like drill bits.

Easy out guide
http://www.ehow.com/how_5127433_use-easy-outs.html

You don't need to use the tool on the end of the easy out in the picture, we use a tap handle.

And in case it doesn't work here is s helicoil guide.

http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-install-helicoils.html

Best of luck

Did I meantion pen oil ?

Steve

Return to “Project Progress”