Insanity

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Bitterend

Insanity

Post by Bitterend » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:24 am

OK.
I am currently in the process of doing a drawing for the caliper mounting. This I have to reverse engineer as I dont have a manufacturers drawing for the calliper. Brembo on the other hand are brilliant with data on the stuff they produce, which is how I managed to find the disks.
So far I have got the distance from the face of the axle casing where the bearing is to the face of the mounting lugs on the calliper bracket. tomorow I measure from centre of the drive shaft to the centre line of the mounting bolts on the carrier and then make a template to check it all.
Monday, all things beig equal is off down to the steel stockholders to by a chunk of flat bar and machine it up.
As this is for a braking system I will machine it from a solid rather than fabricate something.
Unfortunatly I could not find anything shorter than 40mm. 30mm would have been really good and saved that 3mm step in. Ho-Hum... cant have it all!
https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/en The disks are for a Kia carens 08.9466.10

I WILL STRESS this rear disk conversion is being done along with a front brake upgrade, bigger disks and 4 pot callipers with larger pistons. I may have to add a bias valve when I test it.

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Insanity

Post by adamwilkes » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:29 am

I like your thinking - a whole-system redesign rather than a piece-by-piece effort. Great work - looking forward to the next post!

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

Bitterend

Insanity

Post by Bitterend » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 pm

I have read about other conversions done elswhere and also on here. MikeyBikey has also been a great help. He used Rover disks on his conversion and had to get some machining done.
It is much easier to avoid some of the pitfalls by taking notice of the problems encountered by others and also their experiences. I did do a bias calculation, but I am a considerable amount of data short so it is only a ball-park figure. One of the biggest unknowns is the transfer of weight from rear to front when braking, In road going cars manufacturers traditionally used err on the conservative side and have the fronts lock up way before the back. ABS systems on modern cars have now solved that problem.
In the calculations I have done I am trying to frmain on the conservative side with a 70% bias to the front.
I hope I have the sums right. :!: but within that there was a considerable amount of estimating, particularly regarding weights.

Bitterend

Insanity

Post by Bitterend » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:10 pm

I have now got round to designing a mounting for the callipers. I did some initial drawings and made a sheet steel template to scribe off some measuremants.
I now have a design and some working drawings.The mountings should look like this when they are finished
mounting.png
Outside face
mounting.png (17.86 KiB) Viewed 113 times
This is the outside face and the calliper carrier should sit in the recess.
mounting1.png
Axle face
mounting1.png (30.92 KiB) Viewed 113 times
The other side is bored out to fit over the rear axle flange and replace the original bearing retainer. the shims of course will remain to keep the bearing endfloat correct.
Photos of the completed article to follow.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Insanity

Post by philhoward » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:14 pm

Very nice 8)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Bitterend

Insanity

Post by Bitterend » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Replacement coolant pump for lathe turned up today, so I can start work.

Return to “Project Progress”