At last! I have my SE5 back!

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Re: At last! I have my SE5 back!

Post by MikeyBikey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:58 am

Andy some people prefer to take gearbox and engine out together. Although it's a big combination. I don't but that's just a preference. I've made a frame out of timber, two A frames, a cross member and a block and tackle . This was simply as I don't have access to a decent hoist and I grew up with a timber yard so it's easy choice to work with

Owner of a fantastic se5a (nee 5 speed) that's a bit quick (well, feels like it is!!) and now running on lpg
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8036
And is now going sprinting viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24376

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:58 am

Also, if you go for the crane, the general opinion is that you'll need a 2 tonne one, as a 1 tonne one will be at its limit when it's fully extended.

Cheers,
Mike.

1978 Scimitar SE6a - Project thread

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 am

I always remove engine and box together - much easier to mate the two on the bench and check everything over. Mikey has selective memory about laying on his back under the car for hours on end trying to align the splines (then doing it again because he's put it together wrong) :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

Post by Akuchanny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Hey Guys,

sorry I haven't been online for a while now. No progress with the car at all apart from the fact that I have a working replacement engine so I can now pull out the one in the car and see if I can get her back on the road. Its a running 3.1 Essex with a steel timing gear, so a bit better than my standard 3.0 with a fibre gear that will be sent off for a rebuild and hopefully back in the car at some point (its only got 40k on it and is original to the car)

Now I have only installed and removed a series engines before so and finding the scimitar and its way back in the bay design a little intimidating. I could do with some more advice I'm planning to take the engine and box out at the same time and attach the box after a check over, to the new engine. Any pointers anyone can give? if anyone wants to help, I can offer everlasting gratitude, beer and food as a thank you.

I have a 2 ton crane that I hope will reach the block. I have also bough a us carb lifting plate that I am going to add the holes to for the webber so it can be used to lift the block so will hopefully be safer.

But I also need to redo the repairs at the front of the car, as well as straighten the nose and the crack and dip in the wheel arches, I was thinking maybe cutting into it a bit and using some sort of prop to push the nose into the right position with the wheel arches? I was thinking of doing this in the spring / summer after the engine swap and any possible damage caused by mishap.....

Once the cars running I also want to lower the floors so I have a bit more head room, but that is not urgent. I really just want to get behind the wheel of the car again and drive it as its been nearly two years again since I have moved it under its own power.

Any info, pointers of help would be hugely appreciated as I'm worried the car will deteriorate if not sorted soon.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Carb lifting plate is the right way for an engine and box combined. Just check your reach and the loading at that reach as the capacity drops off as you extend the jib (naturally).

Nose position should be set by the front metal work? If in doubt, Mark Wilson (gtcse8) has just run a batch of galvanised crossmembers and triangles.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

Post by Akuchanny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Thanks Phil,

The nose is almost in position, its just sagged from the grass damage. Ideally I think grafting a new front on to the car will be the best option. But need to find a SE5 front end....

The galvanised parts do sound very interesting

Andy

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

Post by Akuchanny » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Its been a long time since the last post, I haven't put the new engine in the car mostly down to the weather, but also the fact I'm getting very disheartened with it at the moment. Every time I go out and take a look at the car, some local scumbag has either stolen something from it - all the badges have now been nicked, or it has been vandalised, - Currently the hinges on the rear boot have been ripped off by some git trying to break in even though its empty, or even the rubber stoppers on the bumper iron threads have now been stolen, as well as the (temporary) fibreglass repairs to the from have been pulled at and messed with.

It seems every time I think I will start on the car someone just wants to dick around with it. If anyone has any suggestions of how to stop the local idiots messing with it I would be very happy.

Also if anyone is local and can spare a few hours to work on it with me and possible help me get my mojo back with the car that would be great, but I'm sure you all have your own projects to deal with.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:45 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of the vandalism to your car, Andy. What utter wastes of space, to do something so mindless and pointless. I assume there isn't any convenient safe storage you can use? Is installing CCTV an option?

I've really enjoyed following your thread over the years, so I can only encourage you not to give up but to persevere. If I was anywhere vaguely close by I'd try to lend a hand, but sadly not.

Stick at it - you'll get there! :D

Tom

Current: 'Boffin' (1971 SE5a)
Previous: 'Sunshine' (1980 SE6b)

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:02 pm

So sorry to hear of your latest woes, Andrew... :evil: - just to reiterate what Tom has said...don't give up & keep persevering...

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Sounds like you are having a rotten time, hope things improve.
Maplin are having a closing-down sale, they have some CCTV systems you might want to look at, assuming the Scimitar is within camera distance of your home.
I believe that once upon a time, you needed to get Home Office approval to have CCTV monitoring overlooking a public place, but when we had some vandalism, the local police asked to see any CCTV we had that monitored the street.
Good luck
Philip

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

Post by Akuchanny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks guys,

I am looking into some cameras, as I found someone sat on the bonnet of my minor rolling a cigarette yesterday. Have no idea why someone would think that was okay! But at least they are leaving the se5 alone for now.

Basically now my plan is to get some helping hands and pull the box and engine, and put in the spare engine I have after checking the clutch. hoping that the box is all in one piece as it did seem to be leaking a while ago. I am itching to get the car back on the road as its been two years laid up now. Hopefully soon!

Andy

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

Post by Akuchanny » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:35 am

Hey guys. After two days hard graft. And a burst of motivation, I have the engine and the box out of the car. It seems my cheap Chinese crane was (just long enough)

The engine oil smelled of fuel. So that is not a great sign. I’m glad I’m going for a swap right now. Especially as I have a bunch of parts now to buy that I wasn’t expecting. Such as front wheel bearings, engine mounts, another new hose set, the clutch slave looked like the Atlantic had gotten to it under the front seal, and even a heater motor. Although I wanted to ask if the motor is easy to swap, or should I find a complete unit?

I wanted to get some more info on the four wires two green and two yellow one with a brown / or purple stripe and the other with a green (I think)on the top of the box near what I believe to be the reverse switch. I knocked the two yellow ones loose from the top of the box and need to figure out how they re connect.

Also I’m trying to figure out if I need to rebuild the box (I’d rather avoid it) or if it has a rear oil seal I can replace. As it has been leaking a fair amount of gear oil. And was getting difficult to use down to lack of oil.

As always any help and info is greatly received, and if anyone has any leads on parts that would be great, I can put up a list if needed. A.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:04 am

Pm sent. I’ll give you my number. Feel free to call at any time. Hopefully I can help, even from a distance.

Owner of a fantastic se5a (nee 5 speed) that's a bit quick (well, feels like it is!!) and now running on lpg
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8036
And is now going sprinting viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24376

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

Post by Akuchanny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks Mike,

I have had a short break as I am making a parts list and then figuring out what I can get. But I will definitely give you a call. Its hugely appreciated.

Andy

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

Post by Akuchanny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Okay I have checked my "new engine" I may have a few issues that I need to check... im hoping that someone else has come across these issues before .....

First its the later engine (and I believe a 3.1) which has the dip stick on the drivers side of the block, Im hoping that this will clear everything

Also the sump bulge is at the rear of this block and not the front as it is in the original engine, will I have to change the sump over? or can this go in the car as it is? I was hoping the latter.

I know I have to pull the fan pulley from the original as it doesn't have the conical section to fit the fan too - I run an electric and the engine fan as a belt and braces approach - I've had too many issues with the original overheating! but I have noticed that there is another pulley nearly opposite the water pump that could be for either power steering or air con? does anyone know if this will get in the way?

Finally Im hoping the blanked off (by a bolted on plate) fuel pump will take the original mechanical pump on my block.

Does anyone have the answers to these questions, or have I bought an engine that won't fit the car without more modification?

Andy

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Return to “Project Progress”