I have inherited an SE5a -Yikes!

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

cybermat

Post by cybermat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:26 am

I have just inherited Dad's SE5a, he had been quite ill for some time so it has been in the garage for eight years with minimal pottering during that time.
He sadly passed away three weeks ago and I had the car transported down to Wales to see what I can do with it.

Now dad was a time served Fitter and has been fixing cars since he was nine. I am the ICT generation boy. I used to sort his IT out and he used to help me with the cars (we both love old cars). He was going to teach me to weld and use a lathe once out of hospital but he never got out sadly.
I have an old 1969 Daimler so have some very basic knowledge but I'm nowhere near dad's level. He used to point a lot for me.

The Scimitar wasn't running and had four flat tyres, I have managed to get it running with a new battery, cleaned the points (new ones just arrived too), fresh fuel. I have new spark plugs but haven't tried to take old ones out yet.
Carpets are falling to bits in footwell, door cards falling apart at joins,bonnet release catch just dangling, electric and mechanical fuel pumps fitted? (Found the switch on the steering column to turn fuel pump in and off), switch on other side turns engine fan on and off?
Seats have seen better days, rear wiper seems to like to jam in rear hatch/window when opened.

Key jammed at first and wouldn't turn, now it turns but sticks at point 3 knackering the starter motor so you have to manually return it yourself.
All filters manky and needs an oil change, surprisingly I thought cooking system was empty but it was just slightly low and topped up with less than a litre.

Brakes seem ok (well,they stop it) except for handbrake which is a bit stiff (rear drums I'm guessing).
Half the lights don't work, inertia reels don't work, the doors are slightly dropping, paint full of tiny bubbles but looks ok from a distance.
Seats don't go very far back so I struggle to get in and out (fat and 5ft 10)
Wipers work but they don't return correctly, rear wiper base seems loose in fiberglass which may explain why it is so crushed looking.
Someone has used thick bright red cabling on the battery earth side which was a bit confusing to say the least.

Nice car though , I like it.
How I'll manage without my dad though I don't know :-s

CarlosVanDango

Post by CarlosVanDango » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:36 am

sorry to hear about your father

in my short time of owning a scimitar they are cars that need some love but no more than most classics, so with the experience you have with the Daimler should help you. Put some pics up on here and start a progress thread there is a lot of knowledge to help you along.

I just look at restorations as 1 little job at a time (it seems easier and less daunting that way)

and the worst case you decide to sell it values are on the up so it's not like you'd be spending heaps of cash on a depreciating car

cybermat

Post by cybermat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:11 pm

ill have to service the old girl first.
Im assuming mineral oil 20/50 Millers or similar.
where is best to get filters etc? Graham Walkers is just 6 miles away so Im assuming they are a good start.
I have bought some Bluecol coolant but will have to drain the old out first.
There was some petrol left in - less than 1/4 tank so I took a chance and stuck in some 5 star (whatever they call it now - higher octane stuff) and she seems to have accepted that.
Once roadworthy Ill take her for an MOT/check over at our local classic friendly garage and see what he says, ill use the opportunity to top her up with the 5 star stuff and some lead additive (I have the bottle ready).

My Manual arrives today so that will make life easier.
Its on 18,000 miles but Im guessing its really 118000, its only done about 2k in 10 years but If I am to keep her, she will get regular runs out to keep things ticking over nicely.
The only factor that may make me sell is the 'fitting in' part, being a few donuts to heavy for the old girl though I am dropping like a rock at the mo so that may get better, I have no problems with the bench seats in the Daimler :D

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:32 pm

I would check the timing wheel and if its still nylon or fibre change it for a alloy or steel one - otherwise the engine is pretty much bullet proof. Unlike the modern car you can fix things yourself.

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi CM, there's years of experience on here and we're all friendly. Scims aren't complicated and are surprisingly good, even in modern traffic. Yours has the added bonus of sentimental value too.
Give it a go, see how you go then decide. There are a few owners in or near Wales if you get stuck. Best o' luck, Crusty.

cybermat

Post by cybermat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Thanks Guys

ill look into the flywheel and also get her serviced, poor thing has been sat for ages as dad had lost all his energy due to a rare illness similar to Leukaemia and the Chemo was knocking him about.
I was thinking about a Herald or Moggy (if I was rich a Rover P2 or P3), but now the Scimitar has landed it will take priority to get right, keep me busy and I will enjoy it - also handy to know that this place exists.
I can always get one of the above as well one day eh haha ;)

The Mrs wont kill me - honest

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:50 pm

Forget the Herald - we had two Vitesses a much better car and lovely engine.

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Welcome to the world of Scimitar ownership and sympathies about the loss of your father.

Could you send me the details of the car's chassis and registration numbers so I can check the Club's register of cars please?

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

cybermat

Post by cybermat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Certainly, Reg is SRK155N
Ill have to check chassis number and get back to you.

Return to “Se5/5a”