Ignition light staying on

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:27 pm

I know there are a couple of threads on here to do with the ignition light staying on, but has anyone experienced these symptoms:

The ignition light on my 5a is flickering at idle, then glowing brighter with increased revs, and staying on while driving. The voltmeter is reading as normal (around 13V, I think) and the car is driving as normal (for the short distance I travelled). I don't know how old the alternator is, but the plug and wiring were replaced six years ago.

I've read that an A127 is the alternator to go for, but is there anything else I should be trying before splashing out on a new part?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Current: 'Boffin' (1971 SE5a)
Previous: 'Sunshine' (1980 SE6b)

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:03 pm

I've tried turning the headlights on, then starting the engine. The headlights got brighter on start-up. So, should I conclude that the alternator is charging and doing its job, and that the fault is with the ignition light wiring? Again, on a short drive the car behaved impeccably. Any ideas are appreciated.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:55 pm

It'll be the regulator or rectifier circuit at fault - sometimes replaceable depending on the unit currently fitted (I'm assuming it's the 17ACR).

Found this with a quick google which is pretty good: http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/mis ... /17acr.pdf

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:22 pm

In the past I have had problems with he diode pack inside the alternator - dry joints and difficult to re-solder. Problems with the ignition light circuit seem to be affected most - don't forget this circuit is the regulator circuit so the alternator knows what voltage is being generated on the battery terminals - loss of this control can cause over voting which is not good for the battery or the other electrical items in the car - bulbs can be brighter and blow.

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Just a quick update on this - I fitted a new 17ACR 50 amp alternator and the problem is now solved. I decided to go with the simpler (if more expensive) approach. Thanks for the suggestions.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Sensible

Return to “Se5/5a”