Car Covers

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46

Steve_S

Car Covers

Post by Steve_S » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:59 pm

Any recommendations for a car cover I need to park my Scim outside for a bit and was looking at this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Layer-Heav ... f3660b54d0
But seem to remember reading somewhere covers can cause paint damage/marking or should I just leave it uncovered ?

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by swoakes » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Never cover a Scimitar of any type kept outside even for a short time

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by Rattling » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:23 pm

I wouldn't recommend you buy that one it's just a glorified plastic sheet which will do damage on the other hand breathable ones like the ones sold at Halfords are in my opinion much less harmful and vastly cheaper than a garage rent 😁

Colin

1800 Ti

Mikeincoleshill
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by Mikeincoleshill » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:16 pm

As Colin says buy a good quality breathable cover, BUT remember to frequently remove the cover and air the car. Don't be tempted to leave it covered for weeks because the paint will suffer.
If you look at the way the damp stays on a fibreglass car compared to a steel car you will notice how much longer it takes to dry out. Condensation will form under any cover when the air temperature drops so make sure it has a chance to dry out as often as you can.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by Old and Slow » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:06 pm

Rattling wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:23 pm
breathable ones like the ones sold at Halfords
The expensive one I bought from Halfords has the warning on it - NOT to be used on fibreglass cars as it will result in micro blisters (can't remember the exact wording, but you know what I mean).
IMO It would be better left in the open with plenty of ventilation.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Mikeincoleshill
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by Mikeincoleshill » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:53 pm

My yellow SS1 has suffered some micro blisters this year from sitting in a garage in unusually wet conditions. My Sabre has suffered similar problems outside but covered. I think it is a struggle with fibreglass cars to keep paint looking good. Don't quite understand what causes the
Paint problems maybe someone could explain.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by Old and Slow » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

If you search the Forum for microblisters you'll find lots of comments from paintwork experts. Also a web search helps, as some boat hulls absorb moisture. Different opinions as to the cause, but it is definitely moisture!!!

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by TrevorG » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:37 pm

I think I've now written too much on covers. Only last week I got criticised on the Facebook site for suggesting that good wax is the best protection not a cover. Here goes the tale again.....
Two years ago, I effectively broke my spine and ended up for months in traction in hospital. My scimitar, awaiting restoration (although most of the paintwork was fine), had just been moved to an open barn as I had just rebuilt my garage....so my family put an expensive 'car covers' breathable cover on it for protection. Here's the result when we took the cover off....it's all over. The sanded areas were to see how far the blisters went!
IMG_20190210_114548.jpg
IMG_20190210_114548.jpg (65.77 KiB) Viewed 301 times

spegru

Car Covers

Post by spegru » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:46 pm

I been into fibreglass kit cars for years and never seen blistering until meeting scimitars. very strange. I suppose these cars are older and have perhaps been more exposed to the elements though............

Steve_S

Car Covers

Post by Steve_S » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:10 am

Think ill not cover it but as TrevorG has suggested ill give it a good wax

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 am

The moisture comes from or just under the first filler / primer layer. It has been strongly suggested that Reliant left the bodyshells in primer and often outside whilst waiting to be finished. That is always going to cause issues because conventional primers soak water up like a sponge. On top of that, the micropores in the gel coat probably hadn't been stoppered at that point so would have held tiny amounts of moisture that was not "burnt off" before painting. That is why (in my opinion) the microblisters are not generally all over. I'm not certain why covers tend to force the issue to the surface though.

The only cure is strip back to gel coat and epoxy primer after being thoroughly dried out.

As for Facebook, it is full of "armchair experts" that have probably never done any bodywork even as a hobby. They come on abusing seasoned professionals without checking to see who their target is! It's the nature of social media I'm afraid. I try not to bite, but sometimes I just forget myself and end up in a pointless argument with an IQ0. New year's resolution is to try not to take the bait so much. :mrgreen:

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by philhoward » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:23 am

Just because one person hasn’t had an issue with using a cover doesn’t mean the problem doesn’t exist. If it’s who I think it is, they don’t believe you should change the timing gear as because they haven’t had a failure, it shouldn’t happen. But they do fail..

If that person didn’t have micro blisters then there’s a chance their car has been repainted properly (removing the original primer) in which case the main issue will have been removed..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by TrevorG » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:34 am

AJL, ...I've noticed that there are a few facebookers that keep trying to rile you when you give sensible answers...it's not you!!

I'm in the process, well waiting for warmer dryer weather, of stripping back and then applying the epoxy primer first. Thanks for all your previous advice.

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by David Tew » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am

Regarding the problems caused by moisture, I have a dehumidifier running in my well-insulated garage for 4 hours a day and at this time of year it removes 4 litres of water from the atmosphere every 3-4 days. :shock:

A car left outside will be exposed to even more moisture and a cover will just trap it.

- My wife says I don't listen to her ...... or something like that! -
SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
Bought in 1978 and an RSSOC member since. 😲

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Car Covers

Post by Rattling » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:27 am

AJL Electronics wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 am
The moisture comes from or just under the first filler / primer layer. It has been strongly suggested that Reliant left the bodyshells in primer and often outside whilst waiting to be finished. That is always going to cause issues because conventional primers soak water up like a sponge. On top of that, the micropores in the gel coat probably hadn't been stoppered at that point so would have held tiny amounts of moisture that was not "burnt off" before painting. That is why (in my opinion) the microblisters are not generally all over. I'm not certain why covers tend to force the issue to the surface though.

The only cure is strip back to gel coat and epoxy primer after being thoroughly dried out.

As for Facebook, it is full of "armchair experts" that have probably never done any bodywork even as a hobby. They come on abusing seasoned professionals without checking to see who their target is! It's the nature of social media I'm afraid. I try not to bite, but sometimes I just forget myself and end up in a pointless argument with an IQ0. New year's resolution is to try not to take the bait so much. :mrgreen:
I agree with all the above ,I'm sure that the paint history has a lot to do with the later problems ,even the major car companies like Volvo and Mercedes have had disasters in the not too far away past 😳

Colin

1800 Ti

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”