Scimitar Sabre 1.4K Mark 2 Certificate of Conformity

Discussions relating to registration issues

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

jukkamakela

Scimitar Sabre 1.4K Mark 2 Certificate of Conformity

Post by jukkamakela » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Hello!
Early this summer I purchased a Scimitar Sabre 1.4K Mark 2, first registered 12th November 1994 in UK. This is the one with Rover K-series engine. Now I have been trying to register the car in Finland, where I live.
The MOT/Registration office here requires the EU Certificate of Conformity for the car. Emission figures incl. description of catalyst system and noise levels (dB)are the two main issues.
On May 26, 2008 I noticed a discussion on this forum about this problem. Mr. Phil Howard of the Club wrote at that time:"I have also submission documents from Reliant for the K-series Scimitar Sabre if anyone needs them in support of private import - again, EEC/ECE related." I would highly appreciate if these documents were still available. On the moment the car is unregistered here and can`t be driven at all.
VIN of the car is: SCD220599NK002142. Engine no: 14K4FG82740397. UK-reg.no: M516AGN.
Please, let me know if you can help in this matter.
With best wishes,
Jukka Makela
FINLAND
RSSOC member no: 1243

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: Scimitar Sabre 1.4K Mark 2 Certificate of Conformity

Post by philhoward » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Hello Jukka,

I have some documentation for the K series; what information do you need?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

jukkamakela

Post by jukkamakela » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Hello Phil!
Thanks for Your quick answer. The Authorities here require the CoC (Certificate of Conformity), which basically means Type approval documents.
Normally car manufacturers supply these, but Reliant factory no more existing makes this more difficult. I contacted TUV in Germany which normally can get the documents, but they could not help this time. Strange, because I have seen identical cars which are German registered, and some in Holland as well.
As I wrote earlier today, two main things are the Emission figures which also should have info about the catalyst system, and noise levels which are measured in dB outside the car.
I wonder if the documents You got from Reliant have these kind of test results. I have Scimitar SS1 1600 here as well, but it is year model 1986 and has no problems in this department, these Emission/Noise levels came into force in 1992.
Regards,
Jukka

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I don't recall seeing any information regarding those those pieces of information (noise and emissions) as I recall looking for another member a few years ago. I don't know if that information is available elsewhere but as there are cars registered in other EU countries, one of those owners might be able to help. I would suggest getting in contact with Chris Johnson (DARK STAR on here) who runs scimitarfrance.net as he may be able to help. He has a lot of experience with dealing with registering cars in other countries and might be able to help a fellow member.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

jukkamakela

Post by jukkamakela » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Ok, I will contact Chris Johnson if he could help as well. The Registration office here informed me that an official letter from RSSOC could be sufficient, but naturally we should know what these figures are.
Regards,
Jukka

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:52 pm

As its a Rover engine I would think the figures should be near enough the same as a Rover car ? - I doubt if anyone would test to prove it either way. I also doubt if you would exceed the noise levels set by the testing stations unless your exhaust is blowing.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:39 am

Noise levels might be the "drive by" reading rather than the noise check done for just the exhaust.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

jukkamakela

Post by jukkamakela » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:41 am

Unfortunately MOT/Registration authorities in Finland are very strict, they want to see the official Certificate. I know in Germany they have a similar system, all self-imported cars must have the Certificate of Conformity, otherwise no chance to get them registered. For any Audis, BMWs etc. you can get this document from TUV-office by paying 100-150 euros, but Scimitar Sabre is now a tricky one. I try to contact members in Holland/France/Germany, because they must have the same problem, this is EU-related requirement, not just Finland.
I read from an earlier "Slice"-magazine that the car reg.no: L320BFD was significant as it was the car for which the Type Approval work was done for the K-series Mk2 Sabre. I wonder if these Type Approval papers still exist. It was during 1993 and these emission/noise requirements were required already then all over Europe (1.1.1992 in force).

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:00 am

The Scimitar Sabre (especially L320BFD) was not a new type approval, but (I believe) an addition to the existing type approval for the SS1 (as all the safety critical components tested for the SS1 were carried over). As the engine was taken from the Rover Metro GTi 16V, I wonder if the figures from one of those would be acceptable? The UK Type Approval system seems to have some exceptions over the EU normal system, mainly due to the number of low volume manufacturers in the UK.

The information I have (which I don't believe is all of it) lists the EEC compliance of some of the parts changed for the Scimitar Sabre but whilst having some information on gearing doesn't have anything listed regarding noise levels or Emissions. It is possible that these documents might exist somewhere, but sadly I don't have those particular pieces of information. I don't know if its listed on the registration document anywhere for cars in Germany, Switzerland, France etc?

I think Chris might be on holiday - but I'm sure he can help.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:08 am

Finland and Norway seem to be particularly difficult (even though its the same EU requirement) - most countries accept just the C of C but they want individual details too. Not sure when the K series type approval is dated?

Most of Europe (Holland, Germany, France) have the details already because Reliant (or independent dealers) imported the SS1 and/or Sabre - no-one's tried to import a K series to Finland, so the first one is always the hardest :-)

I'm sure that Chris will be able to help :wink:

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Just noticed I'm not on this thread, though I am in touch with Jukka and Phil and Important People in Switzerland!
I'll update when I get anything solid.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:09 am

The Dutch situation:
The RDW (Dutch DVLA/TuV) accepts any imports car with a EU registration, without the need of extra paperwork like CofC.
Only when you try to import a modified car you could get into bureaucratic trouble.

I suggest you try Belgium too. Belgium is also very strict concerning CofC and at least a few Scimitar Sabres are on Belgian roads. I know of one car sold new in Belgium, so all official papers <should> be on file in Belgium.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

Return to “Registering a Scimitar”